Go to Baja with looming threat of border shutdown?

• HTML tutorial

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
For anyone else considering a Baja trip. If you do your due diligence and decide to make the trip, here are a couple of my suggestions. Make a border (US/Mex) crossing early in the morning. Study up on border crossing techniques and requirements (passport, visa, insurance, etc) to ensure a smooth process and you'll be done in less than a half hour (if that). Then head south. No two ways about it the higher crime areas are also those closest to border and thus higher population. By the time you pass Ensenada or make your way to San Felipe on the eastern side of the peninsula you'll find a very laid back experience with minimal security risk. Don't be dumb, don't look for drugs, don't spend all night drinking in a bar and avoid spending time in high concentration areas, just like the US... would you camp or leave your rig parked unoccupied in Chicago? Vehicle and gear security is a real risk, anywhere, anytime. I wouldn't leave my Cruiser with easy to take gear strapped to the roof rack overnight in Salt Lake City or Ensenada. There are ample places to eat, camp and shop all whole never taking your eyes off your vehicle. Leave someone in the car if you have to be away long and you suspect issues. Crimes against law abiding tourists are very low. Expect to encounter military checkpoints, these young soldiers will act professional and some old magazines or a complimentary cold beverage from your fridge or cooler will generally take them from courteous to smiling and you'll go through trouble free. Don't carry anything illegal, again don't carry anything illegal.

Much of Baja accepts credit cards but have pesos on hand for those that don't, you can pre exchange in the US or at a variety of places throughout the peninsula. Their fuel quality is good and getting better, we ran it in supercharged engine and race cars trouble free. Keep your head on your shoulders, use apps like ioverlander and WikiOverland to find bush camp spots and identify trouble spots too. I'll be camping in a beach somewhere near San Felipe this time next week, I'm more worried about the driving conditions through Vegas than I am security in Baja.

http://wikioverland.org/Mexico
http://www.ioverlander.com/

There are many Baja specific sites too. If you're worried about security, go with one of the many US based tour guides that offer client trips to Baja and beyond.
Going thru Vegas,,,,,ahh,,,,the place to avoid,.....THE SPAGHETTI BOWL. That whole interchange of I-15 and US-95 near downtown. It is going thru a multi-year expansion and widening project. Complete closures... OR...big time lane restrictions almost nightly. Then in the AM morning.....rush hour traffic during the week days. DO YOU FEEL LUCKY....WELL DO YOU? It's possible you will get thru that area with a minimal delay, but I would not 'bet' on it (VEGAS PUN:tongueout:

This is similar to the I-15 widening project when they were getting ready for the Olympic Games in SLC. Depending on which direction your coming and leaving Vegas, Plan a alternate at least, of a way around it. If you have a traffic alert vehicle GPS, at least you will get a idea of how bad it might be that day. plan a 5-10 ad on to whatever time it gives you.

And remember to post up after your return, as Some of us want to hear how it was down there.:sweatsmile:

Reactions: cruiseroutfit

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Please do not hijack threads to hold pissing matches. If I see anymore of the previous exchange I will lock this thread and that is 4 mouse clicks more than i have the energy for this morning.. Please, PLEASE, don't make me do any work.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Update: Our group departed Baja today. Border times ranged from 15 minutes to 2 hours at various borders (San Ysidro, Tecare and Calexico West due to different destinations in US), no noticeable time difference from the last 7-8 years. Great camping, great tacos and a great race.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Update: Our group departed Baja today. Border times ranged from 15 minutes to 2 hours at various borders (San Ysidro, Tecare and Calexico West due to different destinations in US), no noticeable time difference from the last 7-8 years. Great camping, great tacos and a great race.
Glad you had a great time and on your way back...safe travels...

Reactions: cruiseroutfit