Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This will be interesting to watch. That is a long overhang, and it'll make it harder on departure angles, though if you're not intending to do much rough dirt, yeah, there's a ton of campers out there with wicked long overhanging back ends.

I'm interested in if you have any info posted anywhere on your clamshell rooftop tent, as far as materials used for the shell and what hinge arrangement and overlap from top shell at the lip to bottom shell.

Thanks, man.

chrishernet

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hernet
Member #

This will be interesting to watch. That is a long overhang, and it'll make it harder on departure angles, though if you're not intending to do much rough dirt, yeah, there's a ton of campers out there with wicked long overhanging back ends.

I'm interested in if you have any info posted anywhere on your clamshell rooftop tent, as far as materials used for the shell and what hinge arrangement and overlap from top shell at the lip to bottom shell.

Thanks, man.

I actually designed the hinges myself and had them laser cut out of .125" steel. They are made so the 2x4s can be folded flush when closed, and if the fabric was not attached it could open completely flat. Material wise, 2 4x8 sheets of pressure treated wood, and a bunch of 2x4s. Not exactly sure how many anymore. Top had cross supports on the inside. Tore it apart a while ago. She was heavy!

Reactions: Road