Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum to discuss RTTs, but since they attach to vehicles and don't get left at base camp, here goes.

Member @Yota 4X4 started a thread about the hard shell truck topper Go Fast Camper recently, but I didn't want to clutter that up with chit chat about their Roof Top Tent.

I've been following Go Fast Campers (GFC) on social media for several months, having originally followed Aero-Continental even further back. It seems one or more of those guys got together with a couple of their neighbors and GFC is the result of their collaboration.

Intended as a light-weight, but built hell-for-stout alternative to other pop-up truck shell campers, the GFC is built for and tested by folks in the long-travel desert hooning crowd.

I own an FJ Cruiser, so when they started talking about making a RTT it caught my attention. When the posted photos of the prototype attached to an FJ, they REALLY had it.

It's a sexy, well designed, USA made tent, but the beauty of their design is the use of aluminum extrusions with integrated "T" slots. Couple this with the fact that they plan to offer vehicle-specific mounting brackets (as shown in the FJ prototype), and you have not just a tent, but a roof rack with provisions for attaching all the Overland AF status-signaling accessories you heart desires. Lights, antennas, maxtrax, kayak holders, shovels, OB badges, awnings, etc...

Did I mention it's sexy AF?

Anyway, before I ramble too much, check out this article by Gear Junkie.

Price is quoted at $3,275 in the article, which seems a little steep at first glance, even though that's in the ballpark of other high-end RTTs on the market. Consider, however, that the GFC RTT may eliminate the need to drop a grand or more on a roof rack and it doesn't seem all that bad.