Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Sempson
Member #

Thanks it has its fair share of nicks, dings, and trail damage but its awesome for its current OEM equipment. The mods are soon to come!

Reactions: RoarinRow
D

Deleted member 16081

I love it! My whole life My father had one just like it all clean and blacked out 1995. Just hit 100k miles and about a year ago he had to get rid of it because the frame rusted completely through in a spot he didn’t even know until it was too late. But I guess that’s the north for you.

Mangledmess1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Sempson
Member #

I love it! My whole life My father had one just like it all clean and blacked out 1995. Just hit 100k miles and about a year ago he had to get rid of it because the frame rusted completely through in a spot he didn’t even know until it was too late. But I guess that’s the north for you.
Same! My dad purchased this one back in like 2002 2nd owner. Then a few years ago gave it to me! Hopefully it will still be around when my daughter is old enough to learn to drive.

Mangledmess1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Sempson
Member #

Haha you’ll need it. My Silverado is the same. Previous owner upgraded to a 45 gallon tank.
Is the 45 gallon tank a factory option or aftermarket? If so what company? I figure I can put a larger tank down the road after the 3in body lift. Also hotta fix my fuel level sensor.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Is the 45 gallon tank a factory option or aftermarket? If so what company? I figure I can put a larger tank down the road after the 3in body lift. Also hotta fix my fuel level sensor.
It's an aftermarket made by Transfer Flow. I didn't even know I had 45 gallons until last year after having the truck for 2 years lol. I was thinking my aftermarket instrument cluster was not functioning right.

Reactions: Mangledmess1

Mangledmess1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Sempson
Member #

This weekend I will be taking pictures of the few mods I have already made and a short (not short) list of plans I have for the future.
The first few additions I made were for better lighting, a 52" LED bar mounted up top and two smaller LED lights mounted on top of the bumper.
Then I installed a CB radio for Emergency communications. later on I will install a HAM radio and get my license started on that.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Mangledmess1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Sempson
Member #

First project was lighting. First time going out in the early mornings I couldn’t see anything but two dimly lit spots on the trail... I acquired a Auxbeam 52” dual row LED Light bar and two smaller 6” trail lights. All wired to relays done proper. Switches mounted on the dash in some unused covers.
Made my own brackets that attach to the bumper bolts for the two small lights. First time welding! That was a lot of fun!
IMG_3287.JPG
IMG_7062.JPGIMG_7059.JPG

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
First project was lighting. First time going out in the early mornings I couldn’t see anything but two dimly lit spots on the trail... I acquired a Auxbeam 52” dual row LED Light bar and two smaller 6” trail lights. All wired to relays done proper. Switches mounted on the dash in some unused covers.
Made my own brackets that attach to the bumper bolts for the two small lights. First time welding! That was a lot of fun!
View attachment 118428
View attachment 118429View attachment 118437
Nice lighting and even more interesting dash. Is that stock other than the switches? Cool.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

Nice rig. I'm following because I've got the 1500 version of this, and still trying to figure out what's possible. It is a major bummer that the radio is such a lousy size. Wondering if removing the CD slave below could lend some space for a double DIN head? I haven't even gotten to audio yet, though. Had to deal with some deferred maintenance and a busted T Case.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I love it, can't beat a Suburban. I like what you have done with it so far. 454 is a beast of an engine, my 84 had one and it was great other than its drinking problem. I have a 90 Square Body Suburban now, and it is a 2500 4x4 with a 5.7L Better on gas, but will still empty the 37 gallon tank in about 400 miles.
Are you sleeping in the back or using a tent? Any plans for a roof rack?
Check out SubOverland, they do a lot of the GMT400/800 Suburbans and make them into "Overlanders" with a bed and cabinets inside. You may get some ideas for your build.
BTW, its nice that you are also from the west coast, you don't have rust to worry about. These old Chevy's last a long time if you take care of them and keep them out of the salt like they get out East.

Mangledmess1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Sempson
Member #

Nice rig. I'm following because I've got the 1500 version of this, and still trying to figure out what's possible. It is a major bummer that the radio is such a lousy size. Wondering if removing the CD slave below could lend some space for a double DIN head? I haven't even gotten to audio yet, though. Had to deal with some deferred maintenance and a busted T Case.
Thank you! What I did to keep the OEM look of the radio is installed an interruption device connected to the CD unit that allows an aux input then installed a Bluetooth device to the aux port and Boom! Phone automatically connects when the key is switched on!! Great sound quality as well! Ill post links later on today.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilby

Mangledmess1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Sempson
Member #

I love it, can't beat a Suburban. I like what you have done with it so far. 454 is a beast of an engine, my 84 had one and it was great other than its drinking problem. I have a 90 Square Body Suburban now, and it is a 2500 4x4 with a 5.7L Better on gas, but will still empty the 37 gallon tank in about 400 miles.
Are you sleeping in the back or using a tent? Any plans for a roof rack?
Check out SubOverland, they do a lot of the GMT400/800 Suburbans and make them into "Overlanders" with a bed and cabinets inside. You may get some ideas for your build.
BTW, its nice that you are also from the west coast, you don't have rust to worry about. These old Chevy's last a long time if you take care of them and keep them out of the salt like they get out East.
The 1990 square bodies are some of my favorite looking suburbans! I wish the straight axle stayed instead of IFS. Oh well ill fix that later.
Currently I have a Cot I set up inside with the middle seats folded down. Third row bench is stored in my garage. I do follow Suboverland and I like their wall storage in the back windows. I will definitely be using that idea and building a sleeping platform that will utilize storage as well. I do plan on a roof rack but for the prices out there ill build my own to suit my needs. Roof mounted tire carrier, solar water heater, solar panels etc.