Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Leicht
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREZ615
Hello everyone, I’m looking for a good GMRS and antenna setup for my Jeep. Any and all suggestions are welcome as I’m still very new to this. Thanks in advance.

OB#20908

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I am also new to this. I just watched a video by Overclock3d on you tube (). He discusses this and shows a new
Midland MXT275 MicroMobile. I am going to get my Ham, otherwise I would go with this.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Check out the communication subforum for some discussion on gmrs.
Midland is the most common company as they have a variety of radios and offee antennas and mounts.

Reactions: Knight Raider

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I am also new to this. I just watched a video by Overclock3d on you tube (). He discusses this and shows a new
Midland MXT275 MicroMobile. I am going to get my Ham, otherwise I would go with this.
You might want to consider what is being used in the group your running with. I have a CB and never used it. I have cheap FRS walkie talkies I've used in every group run. apparently the first 22 chanels are the same as GMRS.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You might want to consider what is being used in the group your running with. I have a CB and never used it. I have cheap FRS walkie talkies I've used in every group run. apparently the first 22 chanels are the same as GMRS.
Yep, I have a handheld CB, bought it because they wanted it for some runs. Never used it. The handheld FRS from Fred Meyers, used it a few times. Now I have my GMRS license, and studying up for my HAM.
We are just getting comms set up here, I am going to be running Ham and GRMS for all runs I lead. I do have CB as well, but it will be set to what ever channel the logging operations are running (Usually 22). I also keep several FRS hand held radios that I have used in the past for spotters and those without comms. I am going to be looking into GRMS hand held radios to pass out to spotters.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m looking at that one as well... or the MTX 400. But I am really thinking going cheap on my GRMS unit, so I can spend more on my Ham rig.

Reactions: RMCM

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
We are just getting comms set up here, I am going to be running Ham and GRMS for all runs I lead. I do have CB as well, but it will be set to what ever channel the logging operations are running (Usually 22). I also keep several FRS hand held radios that I have used in the past for spotters and those without comms. I am going to be looking into GRMS hand held radios to pass out to spotters.
Years ago i was up your way, and saw the necessity for my CB (Uniden 520XL) to be set to the 'loggers' frequency. Was up in the mountains East and North of the old abandoned cement factory when a logging truck came barrelling around a blind corner. We knew he was coming, but still were started as he came into sight, not far ahead. OB has had similar posts about Quebec and Maine logging operations in the East. Those guys are trying to get X amount of loads per shift, so they travel way to fast for conditions most of the time.

Got the Midland MTX275, along with 3x FMRS handhelds, for just the scenarios you have mentioned. I also purchased, but not installed a Midland DBR2500 Ham radio (25Watt), when they were on sale for 20% off. I used 'Overlandusa', but they have had 2 more since then. Just recently they have 20% off on orders over $100.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We're installing the Midland MXT275 and 6d antenna as we speak. It's been highly recommended to us from people we trust.
We'll be producing a video on its install, and test against our CB.
View attachment 137411
i Love your install.. very stealth.

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

I just picked up the Midland MXT275 and put the main box under my glove box, it fits snug there and I bought the jeepuniq mic mount for the passenger grab bar. For right now I use the little antenna that it came with it, stuck it to the wiper cowl.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I use the Midland MXT 115 w/ 6db gain antenna. Works well w/ good range. The higher wattage ones are cool but a lot of what we use it for is trail comms. I've got a solid mile in the wood and way more than that outside of wooded areas.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
Reactions: Desert Runner

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have my HAM license, but I'm going on a trail run and they are using GMRS. My nephew and I also are starting to go on trail runs together, as well. The great thing about the handheld radios is if you need to get out and spot someone.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I mounted my MXT 275 under the center console in my tundra and placed a cat 6 plug on the passenger side. I also ran the cable for their new 3db antenna through grommet in bottom and up to rack. View attachment 137604View attachment 137605View attachment 137606
Love the mic relocation idea, very clean, and it allows the cord/mic to be out of sight when not in use. Can you give part numbers and brand names for the jumper wire and the mic connection. THX
It really gave me some ideas, along with those small RAM mount's. My 2003 Silverado has a busy dash, with not very many flat surfaces to use as a base. My drink holder has a good size space under it and the console, where my MTX275 would easily fit, thus my inquiry about the connector and mic jumper cable :sunglasses:

PS, the small flat RAM mount, you used for the 'Mic clip', i like that also, as it makes having 3 mics more easily accessed when more than one type of communication is used at the same time, thus allowing a PRIORITIZATION of the main device.

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

Love the mic relocation idea, very clean, and it allows the cord/mic to be out of sight when not in use. Can you give part numbers and brand names for the jumper wire and the mic connection. THX
It really gave me some ideas, along with those small RAM mount's. My 2003 Silverado has a busy dash, with not very many flat surfaces to use as a base. My drink holder has a good size space under it and the console, where my MTX275 would easily fit, thus my inquiry about the connector and mic jumper cable :sunglasses:

PS, the small flat RAM mount, you used for the 'Mic clip', i like that also, as it makes having 3 mics more easily accessed when more than one type of communication is used at the same time, thus allowing a PRIORITIZATION of the main device.

This is the female/female connector
Anmbest 5PCS Panel Mounting Shielded RJ45 IP65 Waterproof PCB Signal Panel Cat5/5e/6 8P8C Connector Ethernet LAN Cable Connector Double Head Coupler Adapter Female to Female with Waterproof/Dust Cap?

Jumper wire

Cable Matters 160001-RED-3 Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Patch Cable 5-Pack (Red, 3 Feet)

This was the one I was going to use, a bit more industrial, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Installerparts CAT 6 RJ45 Shielded Industrial Panel Mount Bulkhead Female/Female Feed Thru Coupler - IP67 Waterproof/Dust Cap - Professional Series Network Connectors - Black

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Tcooler02

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ridgeland s.c.
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cooler
Hello everyone, I’m looking for a good GMRS and antenna setup for my Jeep. Any and all suggestions are welcome as I’m still very new to this. Thanks in advance.

OB#20908
I did a lot of research online, I live in S.C. and go off roading in N.C. and Tn, and Ga. and I wanted a radio (no cell towers), so I just ordered a c.b. radio, I read that the GMRS radios Only work with Other GMRS radios, I didn't want to take a chance of needing help and not getting someone, let me know how your GMRS Radio goes, I like the Midland GMRS radios.

Reactions: EXPO_D1