Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I bought a GMRS radio, paid the $70 fee, and got a call sign. Boy was that stupid. I love the radio, but regret i wasted my money on the fee - I've had the radio for 3 months now and NO ONE HAS EVER used a call sign. EVER. And in most urban areas, 90% of the traffic is children playing hide and seek or whatever. THe other 10% being legit worker comm. So I get "why" there needs to be rules, but if no one follows them and there is no real enforcement, its a joke. GMRS is great, and I am not openly encouraging you to break the "law," but certainly wish I had my $70 back.
Non repeater operation I've rarely heard someone use a call sign. Doesn't mean you wasted your money. You're good for 10 years I'm sure you blow 7 dollars on far more worthless items every year.

Hop on a few repeaters. There's more than one in the Phoenix area. They'll certainly want you to use your call sign there and you'll feel better about your 7 dollar a year expenditure and you'll have greatly increased capability.

1588617112871.png

1588617212461.png

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I bought a GMRS radio, paid the $70 fee, and got a call sign. Boy was that stupid. I love the radio, but regret i wasted my money on the fee - I've had the radio for 3 months now and NO ONE HAS EVER used a call sign. EVER. And in most urban areas, 90% of the traffic is children playing hide and seek or whatever. THe other 10% being legit worker comm. So I get "why" there needs to be rules, but if no one follows them and there is no real enforcement, its a joke. GMRS is great, and I am not openly encouraging you to break the "law," but certainly wish I had my $70 back.
Are the kids on lower channels? FMRS is shared on the lower GRMS channels

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Are the kids on lower channels? FMRS is shared on the lower GRMS channels
FRS and GMRS share all frequencies now, have since 2017. The FRS equipment is just limited to narrowband, 2 watts and non removable antennas, and on channels 8-14 both GMRS and FRS are limited to Narrowband and 0.5 watts.

1588617669291.png

1588617694045.png

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Reactions: Downs

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

For $7/year you get to know that you are authorized to use the frequencies and you will not have to wonder when some "radio police" user is going to turn you in...

Reactions: Foretexas and Downs