Last Name
Deemer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9ESQ
Service Branch
U.S. Navy
To address some mistaken information in the original post:

The Midland MXT400 does do split tones, you just need to program it with a PC (software is a free download and you need to buy a programming cable).

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
MXT575 and MXT500 : $399
MXT500 MicroMobile®Two-Way Radio - Midland Radio (midlandusa.com)
MXT575 MicroMobile®Two-Way Radio - Midland Radio (midlandusa.com)

The Wouxon KG-1000 GMRS mobile which still appears to be a better radio now cost less than Midlands top GMRS mobile.
I would like to test them out, I'm leaning towards the KG-1000, but I think for the average person, the Midland is a great choice. As a ham, I have added a GRMS radio to my rig to comply with FCC regulations.

I understand that Midland has some new models getting ready to be released.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

Waaazooo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

Is a truck mounted radio really showing any advantage over mobile ones? It seems like the advantage of 50w isn’t really getting much more range than 30w... which seems marginal range increase over 5w.. from sone of the reviews that I’m watching. I am looking to buy for an upcoming trip and leaning towards the mobile.

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Is a truck mounted radio really showing any advantage over mobile ones? It seems like the advantage of 50w isn’t really getting much more range than 30w... which seems marginal range increase over 5w.. from sone of the reviews that I’m watching. I am looking to buy for an upcoming trip and leaning towards the mobile.
I’m interested to know the answer to this as well.

Reactions: Overlanding Lawyer

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Biggest advantage for in vehicle setup is moving the antenna outside the vehicle. The vehicle is a pretty decent Farday cage. My plan is to use a mobile handheld with exterior antenna hookup.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Reactions: Tango Tiger

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I'm far from an expert, but handheld's suffer from the Faraday syndrome, where the vehicles interior greatly diminishes the signal. This is where that mobile unit's external antenna shines. There are numerous You-Tube videos where people demonstrate the pros and cons of handheld vs mobile. That handheld will work much better when used outside your vehicle. Also being able to use a repeater with a mobile will greatly extend coverage. I understand FRMS vs GMRS, but I saw a video where handheld hams suffered similar reductions when keyed inside vs outside a persons rig. The 30 watt vs 50 watt question is something only you can decide when price and general expectations are considered. Where power considerations would matter are the lead convoy unit and the tail-gunner unit who would be the furthest from one another aka distance. Those in between might be served with just FRMS units at substantial cost savings. That of course again depends on how far apart each vehicle will be in convoy. Large groups are where mobiles will shine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Biggest advantage for in vehicle setup is moving the antenna outside the vehicle. The vehicle is a pretty decent Farday cage. My plan is to use a mobile handheld with exterior antenna hookup.
I have done that with a handheld radio scanner for much better reception and distance.

Reactions: wigsajumper

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
I agree with the above threads, get the antenna outside with a good metal ground plane. A handheld is great for close up, on the trail, insight of others, but then you are holding it (unless you have an ext. mic). I think you need a handheld for camp, trails, spotter etc, but mount the radio, you will always do better with more power. Everyone ask's how far can I talk, what's the range, as a lawyer, my answer is always it depends. The environment, the antenna, is or has the antenna been properly tuned, but without doubt, a 25/30/50 watt radio operating from solid power with a matched external antenna will provide you with better propagation than a handheld in your rig.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
It's nice to move that antenna further away from your brain.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I also like the nicer install I have for my vehicle mounted radio. I carry one handheld unit and one fixed in the truck - works great for my use case.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I came across the new Midland MXT500/575 on the website. It looks like $400 for the new 50W version.

Is that model sold out or coming soon? At Expo East the Midland rep had them on display, but said they may not be out until the end of the year.