Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Thanks to this subforum, I applied for my GMRS license yesterday, received it this morning, and just bought some handheld radios (GXT1000). I plan to use them for spotting and sharing with others if needed. Plus, my kids love the idea of walkie-talkies :)

Now, I just need this COVID thing to settle down so I can take my HAM exam...

Does anyone know if you can replace the antenna on the radio? Would I want to?

Last edited:

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
Hello, TN here. You can replace the antenna. Ensure you have the same frequency setting on the new antenna. Mine came tuned to the radio and coax. We should get to together sometime down the road. I live in Fayetteville.

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Hello, TN here. You can replace the antenna. Ensure you have the same frequency setting on the new antenna. Mine came tuned to the radio and coax. We should get to together sometime down the road. I live in Fayetteville.
Thanks for the info!

I was looking a around and don’t see any meetups anywhere close. Maybe we could get one started...

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
Thanks for the info!

I was looking a around and don’t see any meetups anywhere close. Maybe we could get one started...
Once all this Covid-19 stuff is behind us that might be something to venture into. OB does not have a large footprint in this area for sure.

Reactions: BchBum11511