bigbear09

Rank I

Contributor III

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
whitehead
looking for a good gmrs antenna for a new ford f 250 aluminum body truck i"m gonna fender mount it so l'm looking for a decent no ground plane nmo mount antenna.

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
Shoot me a DM. We have a great non-ground plane GMRS antenna.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I always use NMO style antenna mounts on my rigs, that way I can swap out different antennas or radios on the same mount and coax. Have several of the Comet CP-5NMO hood edge mounts (check to makes sure it works with your hood edge profile) and love that they are adjustable in all directions for a vertical antenna. Also the quickly fold to avoid damage on heavy brushed trails. Also it has uses a short section of ultra thin coax to transition thru the hood gap. Have had good SWR readings using them with with Browning and Laird antennas.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

As TahoePPV said the fender mount works fine. Use whatever antenna you want, I also use the same antenna he mentioned.
The higher the antenna the better it will work, don't be scared....drill through the roof. :smirk:

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
"don't be scared....drill through the roof. :smirk:"
This comment gives me anxiety! hahahaha
[/QUOTE]
Haha. Agreed! The difference in performance is significant versus fender mounting and such.

But not everyone has it in them to put a hole in a roof... and I get it. The good news is, lots of different mounting solutions provide sufficient performance for most users. Those that need more... get that drill out!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
The fender will make a fine ground plane. A decent uhf ham antenna will likely work. If you pay more than $40, it’s too much.

I use this one mostly.

So that stubby one they sent with my radio in not any good? I have no idea and have never found anyone that can explain this whole system in english. LOL Most of the time I'm left with algebra calculations, a ruler and dictionary. LMAO
Zim

• Haha
Reactions: Shahn and GFB_Steve

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
So that stubby one they sent with my radio in not any good? I have no idea and have never found anyone that can explain this whole system in english. LOL Most of the time I'm left with algebra calculations, a ruler and dictionary. LMAO
Zim
Stubby antennas are a compromise. That's not to say they aren't good, only that they have limitations.

I use a stubby antenna when there are height restrictions. Keep in mind, though, that range is limited. I also always carry a full size antenna in the car in case I need more range.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Stubby antennas are a compromise. That's not to say they aren't good, only that they have limitations.

I use a stubby antenna when there are height restrictions. Keep in mind, though, that range is limited. I also always carry a full size antenna in the car in case I need more range.
I forgot to tell Rex I do have the antenna he posted above. I'm mounting my radios now (they were in my Tacoma before) and I just don't want to be changing the cables around out in the field.
thanks for the info. I appreciate it. And thanks to Rex too.
Zim

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
I forgot to tell Rex I do have the antenna he posted above. I'm mounting my radios now (they were in my Tacoma before) and I just don't want to be changing the cables around out in the field.
thanks for the info. I appreciate it. And thanks to Rex too.
Zim
Run two cables and use an antenna switch. There will be some loss, but unless you need every bit of performance out of your radio, the loss will be insignificant.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Zim
I sometimes use a stubby one on the roof. On the fender a little taller is better. You need to get the signal over the roof. The stubby on the fender will be somewhat shielded by the roof pillars.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
[/QUOTE]:joycat:

I only have three on thecopcar. Theothertwin has 4.

The stubby is set for uhf in this shot. The Tram is on dual band. I prefer the taller antenna for gain, but the stubby comes in to its own if I’m going into low garages.

0BCAA8A4-0604-4A83-8557-5A2C4F50905A.jpeg

Reactions: BullNV and Shahn

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
[/QUOTE]
Never had a problem with punching holes in the roof, just got to remember the big part of the hole saw hides the scratches from the drill bit.... Roof top is the best option, however after just getting a wrangler the plastic top does not do much for a ground plane, now have to get creative to mount 4 antenna in addition to the factory radio without using the roof.

Reactions: Shahn

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Never had a problem with punching holes in the roof, just got to remember the big part of the hole saw hides the scratches from the drill bit.... Roof top is the best option, however after just getting a wrangler the plastic top does not do much for a ground plane, now have to get creative to mount 4 antenna in addition to the factory radio without using the roof.
[/QUOTE]
Coat the underside of the top with an aluminum plate… or window screen mesh… that’s what we are doing for our ARES portable repeaters .