Investor

Influencer II

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

Here’s a thread of helping my buddy Alex build his AWD 2021 GMC Terrain SLE to an Overlanding capable vehicle! It’s been a challenge so far with a lack of aftermarket parts available for it, but as of right now, we’re making some great strides! Will keep y’all posted! Any advice on how we can give him a couple more inches of ground clearance? Can’t find spacers or anything anywhere for this car haha thanks!

Attachments

nmproia

Rank I

Contributor II

Atlanta, GA, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Proia
I know nothing about GMC vehicles, but check to see if there are other GM vehicles that share parts with your cars that may have aftermarket parts available.

For example, My Land Cruiser shares about a billion parts with the Tundra. I can use all those parts that are marketed for the Tundra on my Cruiser(like a fan belt or spark plug etc).

Reactions: attacktheculdesac

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
As those guys are based off of a car chassis I would imagine you will need to fabricate your own lift. I would take a page from the Sprinter van book, most Sprinter van lifts are simply spacers that go between the power plant sub frame and the body, then spacers for the rear springs (these would be easy enough to source, just measure the diameter of the spring and look at some specs for spacers). Would be easy to fabricate but labor intensive to get all the measurements taken and everything installed.

Reactions: attacktheculdesac

victorvilln

Rank 0

Contributor I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Villa
This is literally the only gmc terrain I have found with mods online lol. Whats the wheel set up. I have a terrain and would love to see more on this build.

WanderingPeto

Rank I

Contributor II

Madison, WI, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Johnson
I have a Terrain as well. Not even off-road tires on it and took it on some logging road/trails that were very soft and muddy in late April. Had a couple of close calls in getting stuck but managed to avoid it. Not sure how much rugged terrain it can help but definitely can power out of mud.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
WIth most vehicles, tire choice is critical and the amount of testicular or vaginal fortitude the driver has! The terrain would benefit from getting off the ground a bit. I parked the pat next to one the other day and my rig looked like it was lifted already (which it isn't).

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
WIth most vehicles, tire choice is critical and the amount of testicular or vaginal fortitude the driver has! The terrain would benefit from getting off the ground a bit. I parked the pat next to one the other day and my rig looked like it was lifted already (which it isn't).
My wife has a Terrain and while I really like it, it is quite low. I actually kinda want to lower it and supercharge it...

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My wife has a Terrain and while I really like it, it is quite low. I actually kinda want to lower it and supercharge it...
I'm in on that one for sure!. As someone who has supercharged and turbocharged my previous cars, I concur that the supercharger is extremely fun! Just make sure the rest of the drivetrain can handle it. Currently looking at selling my audi A4 cabrio and getting a low milage challenger V6 to have some fun with! The edlebrock supercharger that is available is a must have.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I'm in on that one for sure!. As someone who has supercharged and turbocharged my previous cars, I concur that the supercharger is extremely fun! Just make sure the rest of the drivetrain can handle it. Currently looking at selling my audi A4 cabrio and getting a low milage challenger V6 to have some fun with! The edlebrock supercharger that is available is a must have.
Our Terrain has the 2.4L ecotech, wich was supercharged from the factory in the Cobalt SS. The factory supercharged engine ran different pistons and tuning naturally, but from what I can tell the naturally aspirated engines will handle 8 or pounds easy with an ECM tune. The factory super charged ones can handle like 20 pounds with a different tune file. The engine itself is quite stout and the 6 speed auto is supposed to be OK as well.
Honestly I'm not disappointed with the power, I just want a supercharger because I can lol. Honestly if there's anything I feel can really benefit the car it would be a transmission tune so the shifts are quicker and more firm at WOT.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

The bar isn't going to help you much unless you just want it to mount lights. The fuel on the roof is going to kill your MPG which will probably make you need fuel on the roof (see what I did there). I would build it based on it's strengths and ignore the off road stuff. Anything that car can go on now it about what it'll be able to do regardless. Just advice, not knocking it at all.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My girl has a 2013 (1st gen) Terrain Denali. As an aside, we could not have afford the Danali new, we bought this one used a few years ago. Great on-road AWD machine. It has the 6 cylinder and 6 speed transmission. Takes potholes like a champ, effortlessly. Corners like it's on rails. We have some BFG Advantage on it.

Looking at it forcing a slight blur to my eyes, I see it could have been a worthy successor to the original Chevy S-10 Blazer/ GMC S-15 if it were higher and given a proper 4x4 system from the Colorado

It suffers what most GM SUV's suffer...lowered front end and that spoiler dam chin strap under the front bumper. But I see a lot of potential. Theres decent breakover, rear angle. If only someone could make a simple one inch puck lift for these and a way to delete half that front bumper, could these be a real competitor to the Subaru Forester or Outback? It was so advanced for it's time, it has every single option a top optioned Subaru Outback today has - AWD, 4-door wagon-type, sun/ moon roof, forward collision alert and auto brake, blind spot monitor, backup cam and sonar, nav (out of date I know, but it was put in), auto dimming rear view mirror. Side views angle down when in reverse. Ton of extra leg room in the back as the rear bench can slide back entirely 7 inches. It even has the old, now outdated GM DVD system for the rugrats.

We leave my girl's as it is because it is phenomenal on the road and in all kinds of New England weather, all in top comfort of leather heated seats. That's what we need it for.

But I am curious what it could be capable of with mild modifications

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

If I were to build ours out, I wouldnt put much of anything on top. Thule or Yakima rocket box or something maybe. Kayaks if we knew we were going to use them and were stopping at a lake within about 3 to 5 hours away.

No way would I put a RTT or something up there. To me, that kills fuel economy. Anything affixed to the outside lowers your fuel economy, it's just a matter of degree. RTT lowers it a lot. Rocket box not so much. Shovels, jack, MaxTrax, and axes on the outside of a vehicle lower mpg and also are a hazard at highway speed crashes. Even lights hurt mpg. But they arent as effective from the inside especially if your side and rear windows are tinted.

As much as you can squeeze inside the vehicle or under a pickup truck topper, the better.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Our Terrain has the 2.4L ecotech, wich was supercharged from the factory in the Cobalt SS. The factory supercharged engine ran different pistons and tuning naturally, but from what I can tell the naturally aspirated engines will handle 8 or pounds easy with an ECM tune. The factory super charged ones can handle like 20 pounds with a different tune file. The engine itself is quite stout and the 6 speed auto is supposed to be OK as well.
Honestly I'm not disappointed with the power, I just want a supercharger because I can lol. Honestly if there's anything I feel can really benefit the car it would be a transmission tune so the shifts are quicker and more firm at WOT.
Screw it, find the aftermarket SS supercharged pistons and rods etc and run like 30 psi. Ha ha. I had my egine built with endyn parts in 2001. I used an endyn modified Jackson racing supercharger and a hondata ECU. It hauled ass right from tip in. It was the "funnest" car I have driven, and I have had the pleasure to drive some serious stuff. (maybe the Subaru rally car was the funnest actually)....But no one expected a little 4 banger integra to scoot that fast back then.