GMC products

• HTML tutorial

rburton164

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Memphis TN, USA
Member #

For all the GMC owners out there I am looking to buy a 16 or 17 canyon for my next vehicle. Coming from a 97 4Runner I’m not to knowledgeable on gmc. Just need a good everyday truck for small projects and minor off-roading. Nothing extreme. Any pros or cons or stay away completelys? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

For all the GMC owners out there I am looking to buy a 16 or 17 canyon for my next vehicle. Coming from a 97 4Runner I’m not to knowledgeable on gmc. Just need a good everyday truck for small projects and minor off-roading. Nothing extreme. Any pros or cons or stay away completelys? Thanks!

I would look at a Colorado diesel if I was you , all the power and torque you could need. But if your set on a canyon , I would look at the all terrain , a good mix of off road and "luxury". Let me know if you get ready to pull the trigger I can get you a discount code.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: rburton164

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I would look at a Colorado diesel if I was you , all the power and torque you could need. But if your set on a canyon , I would look at the all terrain , a good mix of off road and "luxury". Let me know if you get ready to pull the trigger I can get you a discount code.

Chevy Colorado comes in diesel? That's cool.

Not to hijack your thread, but just curious why you settled on a GMC? I've been a Chevy guy for many years and owned many Chevys/GMCs that I loved .... but I couldn't be happier with my T4R since I bought her in 2016. Any reason you wouldn't consider a Tacoma?

rburton164

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Memphis TN, USA
Member #

I thought about the diesel but I won't really be towing a lot and the price of diesel gas prices have gone ridiculously high. My buddy has a Tacoma and I do love Toyota products but the way I sit in the Tacoma is just uncomfortable. I feel like I'm sitting on it instead of sitting in it. I found myself constantly adjusting the seat trying to find the comfort spot.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

rburton164

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Memphis TN, USA
Member #

Thank you I will let you know. That would be amazing.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I thought about the diesel but I won't really be towing a lot and the price of diesel gas prices have gone ridiculously high. My buddy has a Tacoma and I do love Toyota products but the way I sit in the Tacoma is just uncomfortable. I feel like I'm sitting on it instead of sitting in it. I found myself constantly adjusting the seat trying to find the comfort spot.

Fair enough. Love the looks of the Colorado/Canyon... so I’m sure you’ll be happy!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My opinion on the Colorado/Canyon is, GM is using a proven drive line. That means less issues there. I spent 3 decades working for GM as a tech before semi retiring to teach it. We didn't have any major issues after the first 3 years.

GMC vs Chevrolet, pure aesthetics that's it with once in a while one or the other will do something special. Ive owned many Chevy trucks and Toyota trucks. I have to agree on the way the inside feels. It just never bothered me till I got older.

I have a few friends with later model Colorado's and their happy. One guy you could ask here is @Canyon_Cliff.
As for diesel, Its not for everyone and have you seen how much they want for that truck? If possible, see if you can find a rental car company that has one and drive it for a week first.
Good Luck with your purchase.

Scott

rburton164

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Memphis TN, USA
Member #

My opinion on the Colorado/Canyon is, GM is using a proven drive line. That means less issues there. I spent 3 decades working for GM as a tech before semi retiring to teach it. We didn't have any major issues after the first 3 years.

GMC vs Chevrolet, pure aesthetics that's it with once in a while one or the other will do something special. Ive owned many Chevy trucks and Toyota trucks. I have to agree on the way the inside feels. It just never bothered me till I got older.

I have a few friends with later model Colorado's and their happy. One guy you could ask here is @Canyon_Cliff.
As for diesel, Its not for everyone and have you seen how much they want for that truck? If possible, see if you can find a rental car company that has one and drive it for a week first.
Good Luck with your purchase.

Scott
Thanks I'll give him a shout. Renting one is a good idea. I'd get the diesel but it's put of my price range. I'm looking for 4x4 crew cab at it's cheapest really. Diesel may push me out of my range.

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Thanks I'll give him a shout. Renting one is a good idea. I'd get the diesel but it's put of my price range. I'm looking for 4x4 crew cab at it's cheapest really. Diesel may push me out of my range.

Hey rburton164,
You can't go wrong with either the Colorado or Canyon. There are only minor differences, unless you are interested in the ZR2. Basically both the Colorado and Canyon offer the same equipment, except for the ZR2. The ZR2 has the front and rear lockers, 2" more ground clearance, and the Multi-spool valve struts and shocks. There are similar models between the two; Colorado has the LS package Canyon has the SLE package, Colorado has the LT package and Canyon has the SLT package, and Colorado has the Z71 package and Canyon has the All Terrain Package. Similar option packages for both.

I have a 2015 Canyon SLT Crew Cab, short bed, 4x4, with the 3.6L V6 Gas engine with 305 HP, and the six speed automatic.
Newer models of the V6 engine has 308 HP. and comes with the eight speed transmission.
This vehicle (same as the Colorado) came with the optional G-80 Automatic Locking Rear Axle, which I think is standard for the 4x4 models. This axle works great and is fully automatic; engages the lock anytime one wheel loses traction. The 4x4 models come with 2 wheel high, Automatic 4 wheel high, full time 4 wheel high, and full time 4 wheel low modes. Also, my truck has automatic Traction Control and Stabilitrac features. My truck is rated to tow up to 7,000 lbs.. I regularly tow my 3,800 lb. 17' travel trailer (on and off road).

You can get the Duramax 2.8 L diesel engine in either the Colorado or Canyon. And the diesel offers a lot more torque and better fuel mileage, so, if you can afford it, the diesel is a great way to go. I like the V6 gas engine just fine.

I have raised my truck with the BDS 5.5" Lift Kit. It is raised 5.5" in the front and 4" in the rear, which levels the truck front to back. This has proven to be a great addition to the truck. I also switched the wheels from 18" to 17" and went from 30" GY Wrangler to 32" BFG K02 tires. And I love my truck, and am constantly getting complements on it.

Colorado or Canyon? Like Scott said it comes down to aesthetics. I like the look of my Canyon better then the Colorado, but, the Colorado is also a great looking truck.

Come out to our next meet up (see "Recurring Inland Empire Monthly Meetup"). This month we might make it a Dinner meetup during the week, instead of on Saturday morning. I'll see you there.

Cliff

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
If I were in the market for a pickup, the Colorado and Canyon would be up there. As for the diesel, don't do it. Long term maintenance costs will kill you due to after treatment, not to mention the upfront costs. Even with the increased millage I don't think that diesel will ever pay for itself, and honestly you couldn't pay me to take an after treatment equipped diesel off highway to remote areas. And I am morally opposed to deletes and such, so I say steer clear of the diesels.

Sent from my SM-J327T using OB Talk mobile app

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Yeah the diesel is pretty much off the list for me. I don’t tow enough to justify the cost for a diesel. Really that would be the only reason in my mind to go that way.

Finally someone who gets it, lol.

Sent from my SM-J327T using OB Talk mobile app