Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

Hello everyone,
I am contemplating a Jeep Gladiator for my next build and am looking for suggestions. I want to put 35s on it and keep the suspension stock if possible. I am looking at the Mojave or the Rubicon trim levels.
Anyone has first hand experience with a Gladiator which is also their (occasional) daily driver. How is the usability of the rear seats.

D

danbrown

Hi Samba,

I have a 2020 JT Rubicon, so I can share my experience.

First off, my feelings about Rubi vs Mojave. Depends on what you want to use it for. The Rubicon is geared more towards technical trails and crawling. The Mojave is more of a desert/pre-runner. I chose the Rubicon because I do more slow, technical/ crawling type of trails.

35” tires. You could easily put 35s on a Rubicon or Mojave without having to lift it. You could probably go with 37s but there is a chance of rubbing if you flex too much. I’m running 37s with the Mopar lift (plus a Synergy adjustable track bar).

Other items I’ve added. Rebel Off-Road full height XPLOR rack, Roofnest Condor XL RTT, Decked System, Tazer JL Mini, and other odds and ends.

Attachments

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

Hi Samba,

First off, my feelings about Rubi vs Mojave. Depends on what you want to use it for. The Rubicon is geared more towards technical trails and crawling. The Mojave is more of a desert/pre-runner. I chose the Rubicon because I do more slow, technical/ crawling type of trails.

35” tires. You could easily put 35s on a Rubicon or Mojave without having to lift it. You could probably go with 37s but there is a chance of rubbing if you flex too much. I’m running 37s with the Mopar lift (plus a Synergy adjustable track bar).

Other items I’ve added. Rebel Off-Road full height XPLOR rack, Roofnest Condor XL RTT, Decked System, Tazer JL Mini, and other odds and ends.
Excellent build... really love the bed rack setup you got here.
Thank you for the tips and the insight.

D

danbrown

Hi Samba,

Excellent build... really love the bed rack setup you got here.
Thank you for the tips and the insight.
Happy to share! Best of luck with your build. You’ll have fun with either JT.

One of the things that is great about a JT is the front end. It’s narrow like a Jeep, you can see over the hood, and doesn’t feel like you are driving a truck.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

I have a 2021 Gladiator Willys. I have done some off-roading at Uwharrie NF in NC. It does ok on rocks, but belly rubs with the long wheel base. This is my first off-road capable vehicle, so I don’t have anything to compare it to.
As for back seat useable space, my 7 year old’s car seat sits in the center and he has plenty of legroom. I can sit in the back seat with him when we have our after “Jeeping” ice cream treat . On solo trips I have put the seats down for more storage .
Really enjoying the soft top. Can’t wait for “bikini weather” again!

Attachments

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

I have a 2021 Gladiator Willys. I have done some off-roading at Uwharrie NF in NC. It does ok on rocks, but belly rubs with the long wheel base. This is my first off-road capable vehicle, so I don’t have anything to compare it to.
As for back seat useable space, my 7 year old’s car seat sits in the center and he has plenty of legroom. I can sit in the back seat with him when we have our after “Jeeping” ice cream treat . On solo trips I have put the seats down for more storage .
Really enjoying the soft top. Can’t wait for “bikini weather” again!
Excellent picture. I have pretty similar experience as well, my current vehicle is a Subaru, its a soft-roader.
I am looking forward to getting a real off-roader. The Gladiator looks really cool, i am just on fence between this and a 4Runner. I will pick one in a couple of months.

Reactions: danbrown

tjcook33

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Northbridge, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Hi Samba,

I am in the process of building my 2021 Gladiator Mojave.

First off if you get the chance drive all of the trim levels of the gladiator you can as they all feel very different. From there think about what you want to do.

I have the Mojave and it is my daily driver. The reason I chose the Mojave was because of the road manners it has with the stock suspension. It was the smoothest running gladiator and I get complements form others that go for rides that they can’t believe this is a jeep. I don’t get into rock crawling and I don’t have any intentions of putting a lift on my truck. The 35’s will fit on the Rubicon or Mojave without lifting or modifications.

Plan for my build
Apex sway bar disconnect - to keep traction when articulated. Not necessarily rock crawling.
Stubby bummer with winch - like the look and want recovery.
Billie Bar bed rack - to put rooftop tent and other stuff. I want a cap later.
Onboard Air

I want to keep drive train mostly stock is because part availability at dealerships as we are traveling the states and it’s still quite cable off road.

Attachments

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

Hi Samba,

I am in the process of building my 2021 Gladiator Mojave.

First off if you get the chance drive all of the trim levels of the gladiator you can as they all feel very different. From there think about what you want to do.

I have the Mojave and it is my daily driver. The reason I chose the Mojave was because of the road manners it has with the stock suspension. It was the smoothest running gladiator and I get complements form others that go for rides that they can’t believe this is a jeep. I don’t get into rock crawling and I don’t have any intentions of putting a lift on my truck. The 35’s will fit on the Rubicon or Mojave without lifting or modifications.

Plan for my build
Apex sway bar disconnect - to keep traction when articulated. Not necessarily rock crawling.
Stubby bummer with winch - like the look and want recovery.
Billie Bar bed rack - to put rooftop tent and other stuff. I want a cap later.
Onboard Air

I want to keep drive train mostly stock is because part availability at dealerships as we are traveling the states and it’s still quite cable off road.
Hi tjcook,
Thank you for the response. Really appreciate your insight on test driving different trims. You have got a nice looking rig there.

I actually got a chance to test drive a Gladiator Mojave last week. The dealer had put spacers and 37s on it, along with a metal bumper with a VR 10s winch.
It drove very well and my wife liked it too (She's not a fan of pickups).
However the dealer was asking 80k for it (god bless Car dealers in LA).

I will try to go and ask for a few more test drives on different trims as well.

Reactions: tjcook33

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

@samba
Check out
jeepgladiatorforum.com
There are lots of threads to check out. I have learned a lot about the different trim levels, options, common issues people are finding or helping each other work out unique solutions for. It’s pretty cool - like the OB community. There are even buy - sell - trade threads for parts accessories and even Gladiators.

Reactions: samba

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone,
I am contemplating a Jeep Gladiator for my next build and am looking for suggestions. I want to put 35s on it and keep the suspension stock if possible. I am looking at the Mojave or the Rubicon trim levels.
Anyone has first hand experience with a Gladiator which is also their (occasional) daily driver. How is the usability of the rear seats.
You should message Bob Brann @Narbob, you guys live fairly close so you could get a good lock at his Gladiator

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hello everyone,
Mojave would be great, it sits a bit higher (IIRC 1" higher front, same rear) than a Rubicon and clears 35"s nicely stock. It also has the internal bypass shocks and the hydraulic bumps which make it nice for faster running on washboard roads and such. It only has the locker in the rear, not front and rear lockers like a Rubicon. It also doesn't have the front electronic disconnecting sway bar. However, IMHO 99.999% of Overlanders are fine with just a rear locker, especially on something as exceptionally capable and with such great articulation as the JT. I have a buddy with a Sport S with no lockers, just a rear LSD and the traction control systems braking spinning wheels on 35"s that does very, very tough trails - harder stuff than I think most, if not all Overlanders encounter.

-TJ

Last edited:

tjcook33

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Northbridge, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Hi tjcook,
Thank you for the response. Really appreciate your insight on test driving different trims. You have got a nice looking rig there.

I actually got a chance to test drive a Gladiator Mojave last week. The dealer had put spacers and 37s on it, along with a metal bumper with a VR 10s winch.

Hi Samba,
Unfortunately, it isn't just dealers in LA :( Its crazy to me that a metal bumper, winch, tires, and I assume rims add 20K to the number. Even fully loaded Mojave and Rubicon's are like 66K MSRP plus the dealer markup right now but in MA its anywhere from 2 to 15K depending on the dealer.

You'll find something that fits you. Good Luck!

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
I have a Gladiator Sport S diesel on order. I couldn't justify $70k and I won't be rock crawling. Easier trails are more my speed. I'm concentrating on building a house first. My rack will be used for lumber and construction for a while before any overlanding happens. I'm looking at a small lift and 35s. I liked the Decked system.

Reactions: MazeVX and samba

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Hi tjcook,

I've had mine since early 2020 and love it. I actually got mine down in SoCal and drove it back to NorCal because the price was good. This was at the beginning of Covid and I had never seen the LA freeways so empty. It was the best driving experience going through LA I've ever had, despite driving my brand new truck. lol You can pick one up special order for about 5% under invoice, or about 10-15% under MSRP. I think the dealer who I got mine from is still doing deals like that. You just have to wait for it to be built.

Reactions: Geoff_07 and samba

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

I've had mine since early 2020 and love it. I actually got mine down in SoCal and drove it back to NorCal because the price was good. This was at the beginning of Covid and I had never seen the LA freeways so empty. It was the best driving experience going through LA I've ever had, despite driving my brand new truck. lol You can pick one up special order for about 5% under invoice, or about 10-15% under MSRP. I think the dealer who I got mine from is still doing deals like that. You just have to wait for it to be built.
oh, wow. yes, that sounds too good to be true. Who was your dealer in SoCal. May be i can go the order route.. not really in a rush.

Geoff_07

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Loveland, OH
First Name
Geoff
Last Name
Tipton
Member #

Just reiterating what @samba said above - there are a few high volume dealers across the country that sell for 5-7% below dealer invoice, which translates to 10%+ off MSRP. You just have to order and be willing to take a road trip. No need to pay MSRP or higher unless you want it right now.

I ordered a Rubicon from Gupton in Nashville on 1/11 and it's been built and ready to ship. Should be able to pick it up in a week or two. There are a few of these dealers around. Go to jeepgladiatorforum.com and there are ordering threads where you can find more info.

Reactions: samba and Speric

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

Just reiterating what @samba said above - there are a few high volume dealers across the country that sell for 5-7% below dealer invoice, which translates to 10%+ off MSRP. You just have to order and be willing to take a road trip. No need to pay MSRP or higher unless you want it right now.

I ordered a Rubicon from Gupton in Nashville on 1/11 and it's been built and ready to ship. Should be able to pick it up in a week or two. There are a few of these dealers around. Go to jeepgladiatorforum.com and there are ordering threads where you can find more info.
Thank you , that's good advice. The only caveat to driving is the need to get temp registration in the place of purchase.

Good luck with your JT build, and great journal too. Looking forward to your build pictures soon.