Rank III

Traveler III

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hi, everyone! Kevin here. I have an '85 Defender 90 which is in full-blown restore mode right now. I've decided to leave it RHD because I'm a lefty and it just feels natural. But don't ask me to drive the back roads of Ireland any time soon. Those guys are pros!
I live in the Leesburg, VA area and am presently outfitting our daily driver, an '08 Land Cruiser, for more adventurous trips.

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi, everyone! Kevin here. I have an '85 Defender 90 which is in full-blown restore mode right now. I've decided to leave it RHD because I'm a lefty and it just feels natural. But don't ask me to drive the back roads of Ireland any time soon. Those guys are pros!
I live in the Leesburg, VA area and am presently outfitting our daily driver, an '08 Land Cruiser, for more adventurous trips.
Welcome to Overland Bound Kevin.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @JRElaxED & @Zombie
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Welcome, Kevin!

Nice Land Rover! So, you said it is ´85. I see that it has a Tdi decal on the side. Is there a 300 Tdi swapped in? I am just curious.... By the way nice sticker "driven, not garaged".

Cheers, Bjoern

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm drooling, she's purrdy neat.

Monaco

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound Kevin.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @JRElaxED & @Zombie
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Thanks, Kent!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hah! Thanks, Lanlubber! When it’s fully restored we plan a trip up through Santa Fe and Taos. Bring the Disco and we’ll bounce around the area
Sounds good. Post your trip plans before you go so I can tune in.

Reactions: Monaco

Monaco

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Welcome, Kevin!

Nice Land Rover! So, you said it is ´85. I see that it has a Tdi decal on the side. Is there a 300 Tdi swapped in? I am just curious.... By the way nice sticker "driven, not garaged".

Cheers, Bjoern
Hi, Bjoern! Thanks for the welcome. It did in fact have a 300Tdi installed in England. I’m replacing it with a Cummins R2.8 turbo diesel.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi, Bjoern! Thanks for the welcome. It did in fact have a 300Tdi installed in England. I’m replacing it with a Cummins R2.8 turbo diesel.
Cool. Thanks! The Cummins R2.8 turbo diesel is this quite new one which comes as a kit ready to install in many rigs, correct?

Monaco

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Cool. Thanks! The Cummins R2.8 turbo diesel is this quite new one which comes as a kit ready to install in many rigs, correct?
Exactly right. It is being installed by Xerbera in Dallas TX and was pre-assembled by a Cummins partner along with the transmission, radiator, intercooler and associated parts. Designed specifically for Defenders.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Exactly right. It is being installed by Xerbera in Dallas TX and was pre-assembled by a Cummins partner along with the transmission, radiator, intercooler and associated parts. Designed specifically for Defenders.
Great! I am curious to hear about your experiences with it!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Happy to share as much as you wish! This is a body-off restore on a new galvanized frame, so I can provide greater detail on any area of interest to you.
That´s great! Sounds like a major project! I would be interested especially in the engine swap to the Cummins. How smoothly the swap works and how the rig performs afterwards. Thank you!

Reactions: Monaco

WPRountree

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Statham, Oconee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Rountree
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TRG
Great looking 90! I’ll for sure be following along with you. I have a ‘85 110, same color as yours, I’m wanting to do a good bit of upgrading to as well!

Can’t wait to see what you get into with the project!