Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Hey all! I am currently planning a road trip from east TN to Glacier National Park, then down through Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I will be leaving TN at the end of May and have already booked hotels for the 3 days out and 3 days back. In between that, I have planned for 4 nights in and around each of these three parks for a total of 18 nights. I would like to hear anyone's suggestions on campgrounds in any of these parks, off road routes to explore, and dispersed camping. This is my first time in this part of the country and I want to experience as much of it as possible, and prefer to get off the beaten path and avoid crowds. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Gonna follow this since we are planning something similar. Not going to Glacier even though that would be pretty sweet! We will be leaving from South GA

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

As far as campgrounds are concerned. Yellowstone is absolutely huge and you did not say what type of camping set up you have. A lot of the areas in and around Yellowstone have hard sided restrictions. I went there in 2019, and when I go back, I would like to stay in the park because of that fact. I stayed at a KOA in Cody, Wy which took an hour just to get to the entrance of the park, and probably another to get to the loop road. Everything closer was hard sided restricted. Also, something to keep in mind is I think there could possibly be snow in some areas at that time of year. The west entrance definitely has the closest amenities that I can speak of, as the town of West Yellowstone is right outside the gates. There are a few campgrounds by the west entrance also. I would suggest to look now for reservations. I have heard they book out a year in some of the campgrounds. Feel free to pick my brain if you have any more questions.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

As far as campgrounds are concerned. Yellowstone is absolutely huge and you did not say what type of camping set up you have. A lot of the areas in and around Yellowstone have hard sided restrictions. I went there in 2019, and when I go back, I would like to stay in the park because of that fact. I stayed at a KOA in Cody, Wy which took an hour just to get to the entrance of the park, and probably another to get to the loop road. Everything closer was hard sided restricted. Also, something to keep in mind is I think there could possibly be snow in some areas at that time of year. The west entrance definitely has the closest amenities that I can speak of, as the town of West Yellowstone is right outside the gates. There are a few campgrounds by the west entrance also. I would suggest to look now for reservations. I have heard they book out a year in some of the campgrounds. Feel free to pick my brain if you have any more questions.
What do you mean by hardsided? We will be making a trek out there sometime around march or april. We will be wanting to camp as much as possible, preferably back country but will take a decent campground also.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

What do you mean by hardsided? We will be making a trek out there sometime around march or april. We will be wanting to camp as much as possible, preferably back country but will take a decent campground also.
Hardsided is not soft tent or fabric. Hardsided is like a travel trailer, van, or motorhome.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hardsided is not soft tent or fabric. Hardsided is like a travel trailer, van, or motorhome.
Be sure to call ahead to the NPS, NFS or BLM office as some sites consider our aframe popup hard sided and others don't. Not sure the rules for car camping or RTT's

Boort

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Not a lot of off road opportunities in Yellowstone, there are just so many tourists it would get destroyed. there is a several mile dirt trail in the north end, but not much else. There is a good dirt road (Ashton Flag Ranch Road) located half way between Yellowstone and Grand Teton with some good primitive camping.

Due to the size of the park, we find it convenient to stay within the park for at least part of the trip so we don't spend so much time travelling in and out. Our campground of choice in Yellowstone is Madison Campground, located in the park itself on the west side. This campground has nice sites, they allow tents or Rv's and is in a good location for exploring. The town of West Yellowstone is not too far if you need supplies. West Yellowstone itself is overpriced and hard to get reservations in as its is so busy. As mentioned Yellowstone is huge and takes several days just to a cursory tour, make sure you allow plenty of time there. Typically one of the best parks for animal sightings, getting up very early will provide the best opportunity to see some of more elusive critters. While the whole park is littered with buffalo, Lamar valley in the NE corner of the park has always been the best viewing area for us for Bear, Wolf, and Moose.

In Grand Teton, Gros Ventre Campground at the south end of the park is very nice with quick access to Jackson. Be sure to check out Moose Wilson road leading out of Moose Junction if you are looking for moose sightings, parts of this road are often closed in late summer due to bear activity, but you can often see moose on this road. There are a few off pavement trails in Teton, and they tend to be far less travelled. If you hate crowds avoid the Jenny Lake area its always absolutely jammed.

Glacier Park is gorgeous and travel over Going to the Sun Road is a must do, however be aware that max vehicle size is 8 feet by 21 feet (think there is a height max of 10 feet also). They did have the road closed at the east end due to Covid this year, but you could still go over and back from the west. There are some primitive camping options on the West side of the park up by Pole Bridge. Fish Creek Campground inside the park by the west entrance is a nice campground on Lake McDonald (which is an amazingly clear lake). We spend a lot of time in this park and the surrounding areas provide a lot of overlanding opportunities. If you feel like camping in style there is Glacier Park KOA just outside the west entrance that is first class, they have a guy that comes in and cooks a great steak or fish dinner each night for not a bad price, Ice cream shop and all the usual amenities of that kind of park.

These are three of the most travelled parks in the west, so you can't expect any time without being surrounded by people, lots of tour buses, rental RV's etc. Most of the visitors seem to be on tight schedules and want to see everything in one day, The drive like crazy from one viewpoint to the next and all pack in like sardines to look at the geyser, mud hole or biggest ball of twine. They seem to forget to take the time to look at the beauty of the park itself as they travel, unless of course someone sees an animal of any kind, then a huge traffic jam happens instantly with cars abandoned with doors hanging open as they run with their cameras and selfie stick's ..lol If you want to have some fun, just pull over and point your camera toward a distant tree and see how fast people pull over to see what you might be looking at, they get so upset when you say a nice piece of pointy rock ..lol. We have always seen the best critters, photo opportunities etc. at completely random places that are not listed as points of interest. We have been to Yellowstone in every season many times with winter being our most favorite. If you have time to actually park and get out on a back country trail, all the crowds disappear and the inner beauty of the park comes alive.

If you can and if its open (usually around memorial day), the beartooth loop (Beartooth and Chief Joseph higways) is well worth the drive on the east side of Yellowstone park

If you use Gaia maps, don't forget to download maps in advance as there is not typically any cell service in the parks, also include the national parks layer which includes a digital version of the park map they hand you at the gate, much easy to see your location and what's coming up.

You really can't go wrong with any of these parks, just realize you can't see everything in one visit, which is Mother Natures way of saying y'all come back..

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Search Yellowstone in the search function. I've written a lot about it where to go and not go. My preference is the north entrance at Gardner which is most easily accessible from Glacier. The West entrance is also historically busier than the north due to it having direct access to Old Faithful.

In short, go into the park at sunrise, don't try and eat at a lodge between 8-10, 11-2 and 5-7. I hate tourists and they are there by the truckload, busload, RV load. As for "hardsided" trailers, I was in the park for 2 months in 2018. RV's, travel trailers, buses, Sprinters, you name it were in every campground. There are some parking areas that make it incredibly tough to get them in and out of. If you are pulling a pop up, you shouldn't really have an issue.

By far and away the quietest part of the park is the NE side, east of Lamar Valley. Camping, day use spots, lots of cool stuff with far few people.

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
We were there (Tetons/YS/Glacier) May-June 2018 and much of the park's trails/camp sites/and roads were closed/restricted due to snowfall and bear activity.

Obviously every year has different dynamics, but something we weren't planning on ...

Here's a traffic jam, but this one was created by the park's inhabitants...
20180520_104725.jpg

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Tour buses!!!! oversized campers!!!! Stuffed parking lots. But that is ok. just slow down and be patient. Let others rush.

Like others above have said. Its the best place I've been. Yellowstone and Tetons.. Most people are great and respectful and sharing with info. Some people think they own the park and keep info to themselves. But that's really ok. Cuz there's tons of others who will be more than happy to chat. Maybe even give up their fishing spots.

In Yellowstone Theres pullouts to let faster drivers go by or just to pull off and take it in. Lots of chances for that. Ive stayed at all entrances of the park even in the park. Inside the park is great. Outside Id say gardiner is prob most convenient. Northeast is 2nd. Gardiner has a grocery store and a coin op car wash, a couple gas stations and restaurants. West Yell is ok but mostly a trap that is spendy. If you fish theres great spots all over the park. Stop at the park offices where they sell licenses to get info. Tetons. Gros Ventre road and Moose wilson road are great even just to drive. Check out the Morman Cabins at Sunrise for morning light show. Check out the Elk Refuge in jackson. Not sure if the herds will be in-I think they stopped feeding them-not sure on the timing. I do wildlife photography My best moose was just across the Jackson airport. Even if you don't see the exotic animals-grizzly, golden eagles, wolf...youll still have an amazing time. Its just vast and beautiful. Oh---PRO TIP---theres gas stations inside yellowstone. Not cheap but you can get some gas.

Drive slow and head on a swivel....Watch out for rocks and bushes that look like grizzly and wolf-they are out to fool you.

Post pics when you return

Kerner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

Following along here because we're planning a similar trip from MO in June - Teton, Yellowstone, Wind Cave (hopefully), Black Hills, and Badlands. We're planning three nights at Madison inside Yellowstone. Hoping to get a night at Devil's Tower as well. Was thinking Signal Mountain in Teton, but the spots on the Snake River (Ashton Flagg Rd) look really good too - and free.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bring a beanie and a set of warmer clothes just in case. It can snow any month of the year in Yellowstone and Glacier and will most likely be cooler than you are used too.

Reactions: Shokgoblr

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Inwood, Iowa, United States
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
I'll be taking a trip in early/mid August to Yellowstone with the fam. Look forward to hearing about current updates when you get back.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I recommend going into the Flathead Nat'l Forest around Hungry Horse resevoir. There are some great camps in there. That early however, many of the gates will still be closed up into the mountain.

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Nice places to visit, horrible places to camp if you want peace and quiet with out being surrounded by people. Try taking a scenic pix without 5 tourists or vehicles in it ;-) Any pix I take tend to be before or just after sunrise. Sunset is a crap shoot.

Not saying don't go, but unless you get off the road and hike, wilderness is non-existent.

Check out the areas around the Jim Bridger Wilderness. Do some research on where to hunt. Most are off the beaten path.

Reactions: Boort

daklakfoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Orange County
First Name
Huy
Last Name
Tran
Member #

Well, hopefully there won't be much international tourist due to border locked down or just opened by then. It will be great to go there.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
For wildlife viewing Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley are your best bets. Bring a good tripod with spotting scope, good 12X50 binoculars and 400mm or 600mm lens.

16 Wolves

IMG_4777.JPG