Glacier National Park Rally

• HTML tutorial

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

As a proud member of Overland Bound community I'm always looking for a new way to both give back and meet other members as best as I can. Living in Northwestern Montana provides me endless opportunities to get out and explore. With this said I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Glacier Park 3 day weekend rally to include a drive up "Going to the Sun Highway" inside the park. Camping would be just outside of the park near Pole Bridge MT. This rally would be open to all types of vehicles and skill sets. I've attached a link for both Glacier and Pole Bridge. If this is something your interested in reply to the thread with your thoughts and input.
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm
http://glaciermt.com/community/polebridge

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Grrr... we were just there! Wish this had been posted 5 months ago and we would have connected with you when we were there! Really enjoyed our time in Glacier! We stayed out at the "Pit of Despair" off North Fork Road. Enjoyed some huckleberry bear claws at Polebridge Mercantile. Went out to Kintla and Bowman Lakes and did as much of Inside North Fork Road as they'd let us.

You live in a wonderland! Hope this 3 day weekend Rally comes to fruition for whoever decides to join in. We're headed East and then South now, but if we were anywhere close we would so be in on this!

Best to you on getting this together and thanks for putting this offer out there!

Reactions: APtrail2005

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement, our family always enjoys hearing from other members. We are hoping this becomes a stopping point for others during their travels. My wife and are setting up a new location (Rally Point) for Overland Members to receive information and to provide a better experience while exploring Glacier and our local community. Once again thank you for your reply.....
Brian ..

Reactions: Hourless Life

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

You have a date in mind??
September is always the best time to visit Glacier, wildlife viewing is perfect, weather is cooler at night and still warm in the afternoon. Most of the crowds are gone and Glacier will be able to provide a group discount for a run.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We are hoping to take a long weekend in September and we havent been to Montana yet, ill follow this thread. I need 3 weeks notice to take paid time off though just fyi.

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

No matter what happens with this thread I would be very happy to help you with any information you might need to see Glacier while camping on the Northfork River. You can DM anytime.

Reactions: chuckoverland

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I’m closing this thread for 2018 due to our extremely high Fire Danger. Currently we have a fire burning in the Glacier National Park. Fire started last night by lightning. Special thank you to our friends in Canada who are providing Air Tanker. For anyone planning to spend time outdoors always remember to check Fire Conditions. Stay safe ...

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

Update as Aug 14 ... Glacier National Park Western Side closed due to active wildfire. Going to the Sun Highway is still closed on the west side of the park. Pole bridge has reported a fire burning this morning. Smoke in the Flathead Valley very thick.....

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
... include a drive up "Going to the Sun Highway" inside the park. Camping would be just outside of the park near Pole Bridge MT.
I'd definitely be interested in attending an overland rally like this. I've driven my Hummer on Going to the Sun Highway years ago. Some of those rocks looked like they were going to reach out and touch us. :)

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I'll keep this tread open until end of September... if I can will try and set this up for the second or third week of October just before they close the road for the winter. Just remember right now with the fires it's kind of hard to approach anyone about a group run.

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
Man, I just got back from glacier last week. We did a bunch of the stuff on the west side I was actually surprised that there weren't any fire restrictions when we were there, the conditions seemed pretty ripe for a fire it was in the mid 90's and dry the whole week. I really enjoyed going up to polebridge and the big prairie. We took the road all the way up to the Canadian border to the closed checkpoint too.

We were there when the kid fell off the edge of going to the sun road by the waterfall. Stay safe out there, just because its paved and there are tourists everywhere doesn't mean its not dangerous.

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I just ran the Blacktail Wild Bill Trail in the Flathead National Forest a couple weeks ago and it was so smoky I couldn't even see the Mission Mountains. I might be up for a GNP meet up sometime...or the National Bison Range could be a cool spot too.

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Been dying to get my family up there. So will keep watch on this thread! I'm off next week and the week of Sept 24th. Just gotta check kids school schedules...