Ghost Towns of California

• HTML tutorial

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I've been to Bodie many times. That area is our stomping grounds for a week every year. At this point we don't really stop anymore, just tell the rangers were rolling through. Bodie is in a state of "arrested decay" meaning the State will not rebuild any of the buildings. They do occasionally shore up walls and whatnot of historically significant spots, but generally it is left as it was. There are many, many different things to see there. I think the creepiest for me was the undertaker's shop, with all the child-sized coffins lined up...oy

There are a LOT of good trails out there to explore. There are two different back roads into Bodie, not to mention DogTown, Monoville, Belfort. We find something new every year! One year was a herd of pronghorn antelope! That was SUPER cool. We also saw a bear that day.

That face though!

*edit* that photo posted above by Mike G. shows the Bodie/Masonic trail, which leaves the parking lot at Bodie and heads towards Bridgeport. You can see the old Chemung mine on this trail:

The main road into Bodie (coming from 395) is to the left. The mine is to the right and behind the photographer.

Mammoth Lakes area has awesome snowmobile trails that you can explore all year round.

If you feel really adventurous, you can head towards Nevada and the Sweetwater Mountain range. That's the highest point I've reached out there, about 12k feet. That has the old Kentuck mine, and Belfort:

Hmm...what else...

I tell ya, if you guys were to plan a 3-4 day trip over there, I would have to find a way to get there. I would absolutely love to guide you guys through all the trails I know out there...

Last edited:

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

I've been to Bodie many times. That area is our stomping grounds for a week every year. At this point we don't really stop anymore, just tell the rangers were rolling through. Bodie is in a state of "arrested decay" meaning the State will not rebuild any of the buildings. They do occasionally shore up walls and whatnot of historically significant spots, but generally it is left as it was. There are many, many different things to see there. I think the creepiest for me was the undertaker's shop, with all the child-sized coffins lined up...oy

There are a LOT of good trails out there to explore. There are two different back roads into Bodie, not to mention DogTown, Monoville, Belfort. We find something new every year! One year was a herd of pronghorn antelope! That was SUPER cool. We also saw a bear that day.

That face though!

*edit* that photo posted above by Mike G. shows the Bodie/Masonic trail, which leaves the parking lot at Bodie and heads towards Bridgeport. You can see the old Chemung mine on this trail:

The main road into Bodie (coming from 395) is to the left. The mine is to the right and behind the photographer.

Mammoth Lakes area has awesome snowmobile trails that you can explore all year round.

If you feel really adventurous, you can head towards Nevada and the Sweetwater Mountain range. That's the highest point I've reached out there, about 12k feet. That has the old Kentuck mine, and Belfort:

Hmm...what else...

I tell ya, if you guys were to plan a 3-4 day trip over there, I would have to find a way to get there. I would absolutely love to guide you guys through all the trails I know out there...
Thats awesome! Yea, we should all do a trip there. I grew up in Mammoth and never explored Bodie

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

Joined the Air Force, did 9 years got out became a project manager for construction company in Vacaville. Mammoth was a great place to grow up! I go back as much as I can to visit family and friends. Growing up there I saw lots of celebrities, they lived all around us like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

When I went to Bodie back in the late 90's around June (I think it was June), We camped at Big Bend Campground off of HWY 120. Great little camp site right next to the River. Camp site was self registration/pay and their was only one other camper there.