Ghost Town Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Just got back from a 2 day trip off-roading around Bridgeport/Mono Lake, CA. Had an amazing time and took in some unforgettable views.

Day 1: My daughter and I did the Ghost town loop from Bodie SP and then to the old Masonic mining town site. Then we drove up to the peak of Mt Masonic for amazing views looking back south west towards Bridgeport,CA and the northern boundary of Yosemite NP and also south to the Masonic mountains. Then we stopped and explored around the Chemung Mine site on the way back to camp. Just a perfect day.

Day 2: Drove the old stage coach route up an amazingly tight and rocky trail with seriously steep grades to the old 1880's mining town site of Belfort, CA (10,200 ft elev.) at the base of Wheeler Peak (about 12k ft elev.). Saw a few old remains of buildings there which was very cool (can't believe the walls are still up with the weather these must see at this elevation). Got to play in the snow a bit with the kid which was fun. Then we took in the view looking back into Nevada and the Sierra Nevada's which was like looking in from God's windows. So blessed to be able to get up there and take in these amazing views.

It was a great trip. Can't wait for our next adventure.

IMG_3570a.jpg IMG_3573a.jpg IMG_3583a.JPG IMG_3593a.jpg IMG_3602a.jpg IMG_3632a.jpg IMG_3639a.JPG IMG_3645.JPG IMG_3653a.jpg SXVR4006a.png UWIA1729a.png

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Just got back from a 2 day trip off-roading around Bridgeport/Mono Lake, CA. Had an amazing time and took in some unforgettable views.

Day 1: My daughter and I did the Ghost town loop from Bodie SP and then to the old Masonic mining town site. Then we drove up to the peak of Mt Masonic for amazing views looking back south west towards Bridgeport,CA and the northern boundary of Yosemite NP and also south to the Masonic mountains. Then we stopped and explored around the Chemung Mine site on the way back to camp. Just a perfect day.

Day 2: Drove the old stage coach route up an amazingly tight and rocky trail with seriously steep grades to the old 1880's mining town site of Belfort, CA (10,200 ft elev.) at the base of Wheeler Peak (about 12k ft elev.). Saw a few old remains of buildings there which was very cool (can't believe the walls are still up with the weather these must see at this elevation). Got to play in the snow a bit with the kid which was fun. Then we took in the view looking back into Nevada and the Sierra Nevada's which was like looking in from God's windows. So blessed to be able to get up there and take in these amazing views.

It was a great trip. Can't wait for our next adventure.

View attachment 28727 View attachment 28728 View attachment 28729 View attachment 28730 View attachment 28731 View attachment 28732 View attachment 28733 View attachment 28734 View attachment 28735 View attachment 28736 View attachment 28737
Awesome pictures. How do you like the canvas top?

Reactions: Slamson00

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Awesome pictures. How do you like the canvas top?
Thanks.

The canvas top has been awesome! Wasn't sure if I was going to like it but found one used and in almost new shape local for half price so had to give it a try. It won't be coming off now love the thing.

My kid and I sleep out in the back on trips. It is perfect for that. It also lowers in about a minute for when I need to put large loads in or make a home depot run. It has also been surprisingly waterproof...just leaking a few drops here and there in the front two corners, but my tonneau cover did that as well as the Tacoma bed rail seal is hard to plug in the front. I need to add some silicone but have been to lazy to date to do it yet.

My favorite feature is rolling up the sides or rear when I get to camp. Allows air to come in but you can keep the side down that faces the wind so the big gusts of wind stay out. Have had it on since May and it has been perfect for our overlanding adventures.

Hoping it lasts a long time as I clean it and treat it with Aerospace 303 products. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Here is a picture or three of the sides rolled up in a camping scenario:

IMG_3293.JPG IMG_3294.JPG IMG_3507.JPG

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Thanks.

The canvas top has been awesome! Wasn't sure if I was going to like it but found one used and in almost new shape local for half price so had to give it a try. It won't be coming off now love the thing.

My kid and I sleep out in the back on trips. It is perfect for that. It also lowers in about a minute for when I need to put large loads in or make a home depot run. It has also been surprisingly waterproof...just leaking a few drops here and there in the front two corners, but my tonneau cover did that as well as the Tacoma bed rail seal is hard to plug in the front. I need to add some silicone but have been to lazy to date to do it yet.

My favorite feature is rolling up the sides or rear when I get to camp. Allows air to come in but you can keep the side down that faces the wind so the big gusts of wind stay out. Have had it on since May and it has been perfect for our overlanding adventures.

Hoping it lasts a long time as I clean it and treat it with Aerospace 303 products. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Here is a picture or three of the sides rolled up in a camping scenario:

View attachment 28754 View attachment 28755 View attachment 28756
I have been considering one because of ease of taking it on and off.

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I have been considering one because of ease of taking it on and off.

Comes on and off very easy and quick. Would say it takes about 3 mins to remove (just fold down and remove 2 quick release pins)....5 to put back on and cinch everything down. Folds down like a convertible top even quicker. I usually go that route as just folding it forward against the cab basically gives you 95% of your usable vertical space in your bed.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Comes on and off very easy and quick. Would say it takes about 3 mins to remove (just fold down and remove 2 quick release pins)....5 to put back on and cinch everything down. Folds down like a convertible top even quicker. I usually go that route as just folding it forward against the cab basically gives you 95% of your usable vertical space in your bed.
I have been looking for a used hard shell top, but cannot find one to fit my truck. I do not want to spend $2500 on a new one, so I started looking at the canvas. What brand is yours?

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I have been looking for a used hard shell top, but cannot find one to fit my truck. I do not want to spend $2500 on a new one, so I started looking at the canvas. What brand is yours?
Sounds familiar for the same reasons I went with the canvas top. Plus it is only 30lbs so very easy to lift and remove from the bed unlike a hard top.

I went with the Softopper brand. You can find more info on them from Softopper.com. Just amazing customer service with them as well...always quick to answer questions and I have heard they are also quick to assist if you ever have a problem.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Sounds familiar for the same reasons I went with the canvas top. Plus it is only 30lbs so very easy to lift and remove from the bed unlike a hard top.

I went with the Softopper brand. You can find more info on them from Softopper.com. Just amazing customer service with them as well...always quick to answer questions and I have heard they are also quick to assist if you ever have a problem.
Thanks for the information.

Busurfer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

Next time you are near Bodie in the summer months, take the old stage route through Del Monte Canyon to Aurora and then head up over Lucky Boy Pass to Hawthorne, gas up and take the highway back to Lee Vining and Mono Lake. It's a wonderful trip with a lot to see.

This is the old Blanchard Toll House between Bodie and Aurora.

Attachments

Reactions: 1derer

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Next time you are near Bodie in the summer months, take the old stage route through Del Monte Canyon to Aurora and then head up over Lucky Boy Pass to Hawthorne, gas up and take the highway back to Lee Vining and Mono Lake. It's a wonderful trip with a lot to see.

This is the old Blanchard Toll House between Bodie and Aurora.

Thanks for the info and the picture. Definitely want to do this route. Saw it on my map but didn't have time to run it all that day. I had to kick it to our next trip but definitely on the list of places to go and see.

Busurfer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

You can follow my Instagram account #offroadrealtor - I post shots from all over that area on a daily basis; if you see one you really like, send a DM through here or IG and I'll give you the info and best routes.

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

While Bodie is cool and a must to visit it's now a tourist trap just like calico.

CombatMech

Rank I

Contributor II

Looks like a great trip. I had been to Bodie years ago......Would love to get back out there. Thanks for the info on the soft top as well. I had been planning on a hard shell but sheesh....big bucks for that stuff.