Launch Member

Advocate I

Sheridan, Hamilton County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Leigh
Member #

21 and tired of the same 9-5 routine and wanted to get into a new hobby. 14 silverado with a softopper and a truck bed camper setup. I think I have everything I would need or use for a week long trip through central Indiana into Kentucky. Any advice, tips, or extra gear, or essentials I may need? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When I started out at 18, I had a sleeping bag, tarp, a hand me down Colman White Gas Stove and lantern, my mom gave me a cast iron skillet, and a buck knife my grandpa gave me. All of this loaded nicely behind the seat of my 1981 Ford Currier. As my adventures grew I got a 1960 Willys Wagon and some lights, tow straps, chains, come a longs, high lift Jack, a tent, and a cooler… Ever since, my gear list isn’t comprised of what everyone else has, but the stuff I find myself needing to support my self. Don’t over think it. Drive what you have for a year, live with your gear for a year… make a list of pros and cons to all the gear you currently have along with all of your rigs strengths and weaknesses. After 1 year look at your lists and see what you really need and reevaluate before you start dumping money into this hobby.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
These are really good advices @M Rose I also advocate not to worry too much about fancy equipment, but to start with simple. Which does not mean not to be well prepared. The vehicle should be in order, the equipment as well, including safety equipment such as first aid material, etc. A good preparation is important.

If I remember my first longer trip with the motorcycle about 25years ago. I just had one roll-up luggage bag at that time. There was a tent, a sleeping mat, a sleeping bag, a simple stove and a bit of kitchen equipment, some clothing, a towel, toothbrush, toothpaste and shower gel and some basic tools in it. In addition, a tank bag with some small stuff and the first aid kit and off I went. On such a trip you learn and then you start to optimize your equipment.

Enjoy your first overlanding trip!

trillobite

Rank IV

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Parnell
Member #

...Don’t over think it. Drive what you have for a year, live with your gear for a year… make a list of pros and cons to all the gear you currently have along with all of your rigs strengths and weaknesses. After 1 year look at your lists and see what you really need and reevaluate before you start dumping money into this hobby.
I have to say this is the best advice. Most of my adventures until I hit 30 were 2 to 3 day hikes through the mountains, and it taught me to just keep it simple. When you start hauling around a lot of equipment, it pretty much destroys your experience, as you tend to focus too much on the equipment, and too little over where you are, and what you accomplished. On my hikes, I didn't even pack a tent, I packed a tarp, and rope. I saw so many fellow hikers pack their house with them, and they were just miserable the whole time, they couldn't see the adventure.

For me, since I am new to offroading, and my experience is more in backpacking, my loadup usually just consists of what a backpacker would take: food, water, and tools... like a poop shovel, a blade, and an axe. I do take a Harbor Freight 103pc tool set, and a Craftsman box set, but that is because I drive a vintage vehicle, that I am not afraid to scratch.

I have yet to purchase any 4wd recovery tools, so currently I stay off difficult trails, and only take routes I know I can take... there have been a few times I went places I shouldn't have though...

Last edited:

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
Start simple. I've found a good backpack can be one of the smartest investments. it allows you to take all the necessary gear in a comfortable bag, and have it with you on any hike, or camping trip when needed. As for car camping/sleeping: a good knife, a good blanket/sleeping bag, a quality flashlight, and an affordable Coleman kitchen with two stoves. That can do the trick.

Reactions: trillobite

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
21 and tired of the same 9-5 routine and wanted to get into a new hobby. 14 silverado with a softopper and a truck bed camper setup. I think I have everything I would need or use for a week long trip through central Indiana into Kentucky. Any advice, tips, or extra gear, or essentials I may need? Thanks in advance!
All you need is 1. a place to sleep 2. something to eat and cook it with 3. water 4. something to travel in, everything else is just fluff ( comfort items ) take what you have and go. As you travel and get out you will learn what your needs are and purchase waht you dont have.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Good advice from others.

My first "overland" trips - Peugeot 404 Wagon - personal kit, extra water, camera and a few rolls of film, and that was it.

My first "overland" trip in the USA - Datsun pick-up - personal kit, hiking tent, sleeping bags, camera.

As you travel you'll discover what else you need; far better than travelling and finding out what you didn't. The only things which you must have are water and common sense. The common sense will stop you getting into situations where you run out of water.