Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I wonder what its all about also. Everything ive cached is in the hopes that no one will find it but me, firearms, ammo, mre's, cash.
What are folks burying in the ground for others to find? A note, stickers,a treasure map, water for survival like they do for immigrants on the border?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I wonder what its all about also. Everything ive cached is in the hopes that no one will find it but me, firearms, ammo, mre's, cash.
What are folks burying in the ground for others to find? A note, stickers,a treasure map, water for survival like they do for immigrants on the border?
The cash can be anything from a rock with some kind of markings to a box of loot. It could be a place where you have to leave your mark to show you were there. Once a cash is found there are different ways of proving you found it.

here is a good place to start

Reactions: Jim SoG

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Geocaching is another really cool thing to draw people outdoors ... many years ago, in another lifetime, I was a reporter at a newspaper and had to come up with a Sunday feature story (something I normally did not write ... I was primarily a news reporter), so I wrote about a small city in my area where the lady heading up the Parks Department was pushing this idea and hiding geocaches in the city parks and such. I met and interviewed quite a few geocachers while doing research for the story. Some of the nicer people you'd ever want to meet. The OB community reminds me a lot of them. Just a bunch of really nice, respectful and enthusiastic people who'd found a reason to get outdoors and explore ... and always doing it in a respectful fashion.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I am on the other side of the country or you could gladly follow me.

We geocache all the time.

Our favorite state park has quite a few.

Our county sets up some for a challenge and the chance to earn a coin.

It is a great time. Teaches the kids alot and they take alot from it.

We also started orienteering.

Here is a shot of the ones just in a small area. The yellow smileys are the ones we found. The green are ones to find...and the shaded are ones you need a premium membership for.Screenshot_20191213-125247_Geocaching.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
If you wish to download the app that is the easiest. You can also use just their website and enter the coordinates into a GPS, etc.

I use the app...if we will be some where there is no service we use a GPS app on my phone.

We decide where we will go. Open the app and see if there are geocache and then make a plan.

We drive to the area, grab our pack and head off.

We take stuff with us to trade with the cache.

You need to make sure no one is watching you so they do not destroy the cache (especially if they dont understand)

Sign the log book...if you don't sign up with the site that's it. If you did log it on the website or app.

Great time.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I've only Geocached a few times. Sometimes in Glamis we get a windy day where riding in the actual dunes is tough (the wind blows a 12-18" layer of sand up that hides witch's eyes and other trouble) and just sitting in the trailer all day is boring (I can only watch John Wick so many times, right?). With dirt tires on the RZRs we can cross the big canal and head over to a more rock/dirt area that the wind doesn't stir up as bad and just ride around. On that side it's less about "hauling" and more about just finding destinations and things (it was an old bombing range, so lots of cool, hopefully spent ordinance to find). So we'll break out somebody's phone and find some Geocaches. I suppose it'd be a fun thing to do with Overlanding too, especially in the more remote areas, but for some reason I never thought of connecting the two.

-TJ

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM
Anyone in the Sac to Tahoe region willing to have somebody shadow them on a Cache run to see what it’s all about?
My wife and I have made a day if it before driving around the gold country, I am open on Saturday or Sunday. What I haven’t done is making my own cache and hide it. message me and we can set something up.

Reactions: Advtres

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

I haven't done this is a while, actually I started it just after it started but haven't had much time lately. I think I may start it up again.

Reactions: DevilDodge