Getting a Truck! - Which one to buy?

• HTML tutorial

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

You may want to consider a Tundra- Best of what is mentioned above.. Room, dogs, later dogs and girlfriend, later dogs and wife, later dogs and pregnant wife. later dogs, pregnant wife, and twins in the back- You will be well prepared! See my build thread below ;)

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
You should test drive every truck you can and more than one time. Your price point gives you a lot of choices. Read the truck specific forums. All have their own set of issues. Every brand has lemons.

I spent three months test driving and I ended up with a Colorado ZR2. Best truck I've ever owned, zero problems and it goes anywhere. Outstanding on road and off, the DSSV shocks are the real deal.
You well see a lot on social media, lot of new owners are doing lifts and bigger tires, don't do it. Truck is super capable as is, drive it for a year then decide.

Dave H.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pittsgrove Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hitchner
Member #

My personal opinion-just factoring truck

Midsize: Tacoma- they’ve been tested and proven for years and years. It’s a solid truck and everyone who has them love them(honestly wish I had one but even used they’re expensive)

Full size: Ram 2500 specifically a Power Wagon(if you have the money) this is close to what I have. I have a 04 2500 “Off Road”. So the reason I like mine is the engine, axles, and size.

Size: I only have a quad cab and for me, wife, and twins boys(5 years old) I have more than enough room. I’m 6 ft tall and can have my seat wherever I want and I can sit in the back easily.

Axles: My truck is solid axle front and rear, I’m not worried about CV joints or any of the extra from an IFS. Also with the package mine has it doesn’t have lockers, but it does have a geared LSD(Toresen) and stock 4.10 gears. Tougher ride yes, but they have suspension kits from companies like Thuren and Carli Suspension that can help with that.

Engine: I have the 5.7, wish I had the Cummins, if you can find a Cummins your golden. The 5.7 is a Pushrod engine(overhead valve), it’s a big engine, but it’s simple. No overhead cams or dual OHC. (Do not get the 4.7)

Downsides on the Ram, gas mileage is terrible, and the suspension is rough as hell. Which with your back probably would be a no go. Sorrry for the book, good luck!!!

Reactions: CCHeath

Rob K

Rank II

Advocate II

Just spent the past few months researching, test driving, and trying to decide on a truck myself and ended up with a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Picked it up this last Sunday actually.

I test drove this truck, as well as the new 2019 Ram 1500 and a Silverado 1500 for a full-size alternative and finally decided on the Tacoma. I was happy with the room the DBL Cab Long bed gave me and although the Ram is a beautiful new truck, it didn't stick with me like the Tacoma did. I did plenty of comparisons like power, size, equipment, and capacities to both the bigger full-size trucks and at the end of the day, my day to day commute and needs couldn't justify a full-size. It also doesn't hurt when your father has a 2500HD for all the heavy work.

Of course this is only a personal opinion/story but my advice would be to take your time and look for something you'll be happy with overall, not just something your going to compromise on because of one power train option or one equipment group.
IMG_2001.JPG

Reactions: CCHeath

Dave H.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pittsgrove Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hitchner
Member #

Just spent the past few months researching, test driving, and trying to decide on a truck myself and ended up with a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Picked it up this last Sunday actually.

I test drove this truck, as well as the new 2019 Ram 1500 and a Silverado 1500 for a full-size alternative and finally decided on the Tacoma. I was happy with the room the DBL Cab Long bed gave me and although the Ram is a beautiful new truck, it didn't stick with me like the Tacoma did. I did plenty of comparisons like power, size, equipment, and capacities to both the bigger full-size trucks and at the end of the day, my day to day commute and needs couldn't justify a full-size. It also doesn't hurt when your father has a 2500HD for all the heavy work.

Of course this is only a personal opinion/story but my advice would be to take your time and look for something you'll be happy with overall, not just something your going to compromise on because of one power train option or one equipment group.
View attachment 75140
Nice truck!