2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
I've been lurking around for quite a while. Now just jumping in.

I use to overland, before I knew that term in my 98 Ram 1500. I just called it going out on an adventure.

But now that the kiddos are older I really want to get back into it. Hopefully my son will want to join my on some trips too. My trusty Ram "Ox" is no longer of this Earth so I am looking to get a new (used) rig. So I am looking for some suggestions.

Since that Ram, I've owned nothing but Toyotas and love them to death, so that's the direction I'm looking, but I have some other criteria I need to meet.
  1. Budget - I've discussed this with SWMBO and she's fine with me buying a "new" truck as long as I can make the numbers work.
  2. More than just an Overlanding rig - It won't be my daily driver, but it will have to handle other household truck duties.
I was really looking at 1st generation Tundras. They seem to fit in the budget I've set, but there is limited aftermarket offerings. Beyond Overlanding, the truck itself will be a ongoing project, and that is rather disappointing.

I'm also now considering 1st generation Tacomas. But it will have to be a long bed as I don't think the short bed can handle some of the other household truck duties. I will need it to.

I'm pretty comfortable buying a truck which is 10, 15 even 20 years old. I am okay mechanically getting things done and have friends who can help, but also know when I'm out of my league in doing it myself.

Reactions: maxfederle89

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Sounds like you have a great plan. Seems like those little pickups can give a good as they take. And if this isn't a DD then you have more options for what you can do! I hope you can find a rig.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk