Get your Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) in GPX format!

• HTML tutorial

Dan Smith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR
Member #

Hi all,

I've been working recently to convert and process the USDA dataset which has the MVUM information in it into a format that regular people can use. Most national forests have really only old paper or PDF maps available, but it turns out that the USDA keeps this information pretty up to date in their own database. You can get this information through subscriptions to things like Gaia and BCN, but the data is freely available and I like to do my planning in other tools (even though I use BCN on the trail).

If you go here:

http://open-mvum.com/

You can download the MVUM data in GPX format and load it into whatever tool (or device) you want! The current data set I have is from February 2019, and will be updating it soon to their latest.

Enjoy!

--Dan

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monongahela NF in WV is not available. Fortunately I do have the FS roads in KLM format for Google Earth but that doesn't give you the info on gate opening and closing dates.

Reactions: Drifterman

Dan Smith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR
Member #

Yeah, looks like that one isn't in the data set. That's odd, since they do have them on their site. I'll do some digging and see if there's any mention of why they're skipped...

Dan Smith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR
Member #

Which colors are you talking about? The GPX files don't have colors embedded in them (although I have plans for them). If you're seeing colored tracks, it might be whatever software you're using just randomly assigning them. What are you importing the files into?

Dan Smith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR
Member #

In that case, I'm sure it's just Gaia trying to randomly colorize adjacent tracks so you can see where one stops and the next starts. No meaning other than that.

Cr250Ram

Rank I

Contributor III

I see. Thanks I’m new to all of this navigation stuff. Unfortunately Gaia stopped letting me import these files after uploading a few... I wish there was an easier way to all this navigation stuff. What app (iPhone) would you recommend I use? Avenza doesn’t seem to have an import option.

Dan Smith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR
Member #

Avenza is basically a PDF viewer. Not useful for much in my experience. For planning, I recommend something more powerful than a phone/tablet. I use BaseCamp with Garmin's maps for planning, cultivate data into trips and then load them into a navigation device for actual use in the field (I use BCN on Android because Gaia on Android is garbage).

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Actually Avenza is useful. If you use Caltopo to create maps you can "print" them as a PDF - this is a georeferenced PDF. Open it in Avenza and the app will show you where you are on the custom map you created.

Drifterman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Patchogue, NY, USA
First Name
Fluffy
Last Name
Drifter
Member #

Avenza is basically a PDF viewer. Not useful for much in my experience. For planning, I recommend something more powerful than a phone/tablet. I use BaseCamp with Garmin's maps for planning, cultivate data into trips and then load them into a navigation device for actual use in the field (I use BCN on Android because Gaia on Android is garbage).
Dan what is Bcn I'm breathing water here trying to learn this stuff and I'll be using android as of now thank you

hankbutitta

Rank 0

Contributor I

Seattle, WA
First Name
hank
Last Name
butitta
This looks like a great resource! Unfortunately I'm getting a "not available" error when I go to http://open-mvum.com/
Does anyone know if these files are still available somewhere? I'm particularly interested in GPX files of MVUMs in Washington state.
Thanks!

Dan Smith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR
Member #

Fixed, sorry. The host rebooted that recently and it was stuck.

Note that I'm probably going to take that down permanently at some point. Was hoping to get a couple donations to pay for the resources required to run the site, but so far that hasn't worked out. Gotta pay them bills :/

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Probably not the best place to ask, but what sort of donations and frequency would we need to achieve to help you out? Be as specific as you feel comfortable with. Depending on update frequency and your download rate, it might be possible to come up with a recommendation for folks each time we visit the site.

AlejandroM

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Winter Garden, Florida, EE. UU.
First Name
Alejandro
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YRX
Hi all,

I've been working recently to convert and process the USDA dataset which has the MVUM information in it into a format that regular people can use. Most national forests have really only old paper or PDF maps available, but it turns out that the USDA keeps this information pretty up to date in their own database. You can get this information through subscriptions to things like Gaia and BCN, but the data is freely available and I like to do my planning in other tools (even though I use BCN on the trail).

If you go here:

http://open-mvum.com/

You can download the MVUM data in GPX format and load it into whatever tool (or device) you want! The current data set I have is from February 2019, and will be updating it soon to their latest.

Enjoy!

--Dan
This is a total game changer!! Thanks you so much for sharing.