Tcooler02

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ridgeland s.c.
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cooler
Wish I could I have to work that weekend. Im planning a trip in March though ! Need someone to show me around the area!!

Tcooler02

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ridgeland s.c.
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cooler
I just moved to the area too and want to meet good people. I'm in Gainesville
Gainsville Fl.? I am definitely going in march , like a Thursday thru Monday. You are welcome to meet up with us. It will be me & my wife or just me. I really need a get away from my Job! LOL I bought my first Jeep in 2016, and I am In Love with Off road driving. my jeep is all stock. bought it Brand new off the show room floor, cant afford any upgrades yet! LOL. Im in S.C. all flat ground here, not much fun. I love the mountains and overlanding !!!

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I’d be in but my little one has baseball evaluations on Saturday. We did a little bit last weekend and had a blast. Have fun.

Reactions: Lane241

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Did you end up going on trip the weather has been str crap this wk just wondering if you cancelled trip we had to cancel ours to avoid mud feast

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Have any of y'all gone on the Traverse before? The wife and I just got back from north Georgia and really liked the area. We got up to Tallulah Falls and it looks like the Traverse starts north of that. We finished our trip at Amicolola and ended up taking a dirt road looking for a waterfall. The road was Nimblewell Gap Road and was pretty narrow, muddy, and full of downed trees. I have a Tundra with a small lift and a shell with cargo rack on it, and I barely made it thru a couple areas. I know this road is way south of the Traverse, but I'm wondering if the Traverse is a lot like this. If so, I might not want to do it in my Tundra. I'm sure there are parts of the Traverse that would be fine, but I'm not sure what parts are more suitable for a larger vehicle. I was back in a good 15 miles when I came across the tree I barely fit under....if it was any lower, I guess I would have had a LONG way to back out, sure don't want to get in a situation like that again.

IMG_1669.JPGIMG_1673.JPG

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Have any of y'all gone on the Traverse before? The wife and I just got back from north Georgia and really liked the area. We got up to Tallulah Falls and it looks like the Traverse starts north of that. We finished our trip at Amicolola and ended up taking a dirt road looking for a waterfall. The road was Nimblewell Gap Road and was pretty narrow, muddy, and full of downed trees. I have a Tundra with a small lift and a shell with cargo rack on it, and I barely made it thru a couple areas. I know this road is way south of the Traverse, but I'm wondering if the Traverse is a lot like this. If so, I might not want to do it in my Tundra. I'm sure there are parts of the Traverse that would be fine, but I'm not sure what parts are more suitable for a larger vehicle. I was back in a good 15 miles when I came across the tree I barely fit under....if it was any lower, I guess I would have had a LONG way to back out, sure don't want to get in a situation like that again.

View attachment 139775View attachment 139776
My son and I drove up and jumped on the Traverse near Dillard and headed east. Your Tundra would have no problems on that portion of the Traverse. As soon as it warms up a bit and dries out I think we’re gonna head up to the start in SC and head west. I have a Tundra too, but I’ve become addicted to my Disco. That trail you were on looks fun. Where was that again?

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
My son and I drove up and jumped on the Traverse near Dillard and headed east. Your Tundra would have no problems on that portion of the Traverse. As soon as it warms up a bit and dries out I think we’re gonna head up to the start in SC and head west. I have a Tundra too, but I’ve become addicted to my Disco. That trail you were on looks fun. Where was that again?
You can google it. Its Nimblewell Gap Road and shows up on google map. Its just a few miles from Amicolola State Park. Its pretty cool back in there and there is also a Bearden Falls Trail listed as being off of it, but we couldn't find it. I got rid of my crewcab F350 4X4 with 8' bed and thought the Tundra was really small compared to it, but I can certainly see where the Tacomas are even way more nimble when it comes to offroad. If youre in that area, there is a 700' waterfall at Amicolola that is pretty cool to see. There are also a few forest service roads in that area that look like fun for a smaller vehicle.

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
You can google it. Its Nimblewell Gap Road and shows up on google map. Its just a few miles from Amicolola State Park. Its pretty cool back in there and there is also a Bearden Falls Trail listed as being off of it, but we couldn't find it. I got rid of my crewcab F350 4X4 with 8' bed and thought the Tundra was really small compared to it, but I can certainly see where the Tacomas are even way more nimble when it comes to offroad. If youre in that area, there is a 700' waterfall at Amicolola that is pretty cool to see. There are also a few forest service roads in that area that look like fun for a smaller vehicle.
Sweet thanks for the info will def be checking out the water fall

Tcooler02

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ridgeland s.c.
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cooler
I hope the rain has stopped by march 21 and 22, going to Tray Mtn road first on March 22nd, and 23, and try to get to Traverse on the 23 or 24th. Hope some more Jeepers can join, So Much Fun, I work weekends and overtime to Enjoy my Mountain Jeep Trips/Overlanding !!!!!

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Be sure to check out the Georgia Traverse Web Page for trail conditions. We did it last year during the end of March and the roads were all passable and camp sites were not wet either. We disbursed camped along the trail had no issues. The smokey the bear campsites like we call them or designated pay campsites are usually full with trout fishermen fishing the rivers. We only had one closure and it was super easy to navigate around that 2 miles section of road.