chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Hey Edward - I don't see any other responses, so I hope this helps.

The Georgia Traverse isn't really a trail, it's a combination of on and off road tracks strung together to create a full route to get you from one side of the state to the other, in some very scenic parts of several states. We did it last year and there isn't really anything that is terribly difficult on it. Although, there are some sections that can be muddy or rocky, and several sections have water crossings to deal with. Most of the off-road sections are forest service roads and aren't too bad. Driver skill in a few sections would be required with a 2wd vehicle, but certainly doable. The biggest issue you would face is if you get off the main forest roads to find a camp site or something. You could end up in some soft stuff that requires more traction to get out. I recommend reading up on it here: Georgia Traverse. You should also contact the ranger stations in various areas on the route and check on road closures/gate closures, etc. I believe the Wildcat Creek section is closed due to recent road damage. Depending on when you go, there are seasonal closures as well.