Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

It's a great trip. me and a friend took the Traverse coming back from Expo East to Alabama last year and this year we are going to take it going up, leaving on the Monday before and take 3 or so days to get up to Asheville to OEE.

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Was looking to head out to the National Seashore this Friday-Sunday off the coast of NC but Florence kinda wrecked those plans and the ferry that transports to the barrier islands (only way, no bridges) isn't running due to damage. Changing up plans and going to do a section of the GT. Prolly the NE leg. Obviously last minute but just throwing it out there. Will be doing some research and planning today but get an early start Friday and wrap up to head home sometime mid-late afternoon Sunday. Just throwing it out there. It'll be me and one other rig riding.

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

As someone that's moving to Tampa in the next two weeks from Augusta, I am most likely down pending dates. Might be able to get some people to meet up from up north too.

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Hope Michael’s rain doesn’t mess you up. Let me know how it goes.
Thankfully it didn't. Made it a little harder to start a fire at night but other than that it was a really good trip. Highly recommend the Gaia app with the Traverse downloaded bc signal is next to nil in most places. Found two cool campsites as well.

LC60.jpg

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

Damn, you already did the trip? We went up a couple weeks ago and some of the good spots were closed. Tray Mountain was way easier than some made it out to be.

I concur on the GAIA app w/ Traverse maps downloaded. You can also download surrounding areas just in case. I have T-Mobile and there's zero service in most spots. If you want to make it smoother getting up there, I suggest starting in Dillard, GA and negating the east of Dillard leg. You won't be missing much.

Reactions: Eric Lane

WanderRig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN
Member #

Thankfully it didn't. Made it a little harder to start a fire at night but other than that it was a really good trip. Highly recommend the Gaia app with the Traverse downloaded bc signal is next to nil in most places. Found two cool campsites as well.

View attachment 72631
Good morning - thinking about hitting the Traverse on Thursday, and staying through the weekend, returning Sunday or Monday. I’ll be coming from Nashville. Any tips, great campspots, or routes would be welcome! Thanks.

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Good morning - thinking about hitting the Traverse on Thursday, and staying through the weekend, returning Sunday or Monday. I’ll be coming from Nashville. Any tips, great campspots, or routes would be welcome! Thanks.
Check back in a bit and I'll try to have my route and/or campsites (coordinates) posted. Nashville has a great spot to drop in at the top of the larger loop. Head east from there. The further east you go the less pavement and more hikes and things to do. West is more on road.

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Would love to know the coordinates for your camp sites
If you have any further questions message me and I can give further detail

First site: 34.813275, -84.657945
Located on a horseshoe bend on Sumac Creek. We were looking to set up at Hickey Gap (we approached from the West coming off 411) but after a quick drive by we saw that although there were a few sites available it wasn't for us. Too close and too many people. Wanted to be able to have our own space, let the dogs run around, etc. Take a right out of Hickey Gap Campground and continue straight through the 4-way intersection. You'll soon (a mile or less) come to a horseshoe with a pull off on the right at the apex of the turn. Park there and there will be a primitive site/flat spot about 25 yds into the trees to the right of the creek (prolly see remnants of a campfire ring). The other half of our group set up there while we set up our tent in between the split of the creek a little further in. Essentially had our own private island. Heavy tree cover so don't get your hopes up for star gazing here. Real nice to have the sound of the creek flowing all night.

Second site: 34.813275, -84.150592
If you're travelling West to East like we did it'll be on your right side. You'll climb a hill for quite some time and then it'll flatten off where the clearing is off to your right. Then the road continues on turning down. You can't miss this one. It's a big clearing about 1/4 of the size of a football field. There is a trail leading out the back of the clearing into the woods - we checked it out and had a hard time turning around after it got too tight for the Wrangler and LC60 we had. Assuming some sort of hunting trail that you'd navigate either on foot or with a buggy/polaris/gator type of vehicle.

The next day we continued on looking to stop for a few hikes before heading home and passed a couple of potential sites. Need to try and find them on the map and log them. But yes, again, get the Gaia app and download the map. Be sure to unzip it. We did it on the fly with our iPad on the road and were stumped as to why it wasn't working. Figured out that it had to be unzipped to load.

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

Located on a horseshoe bend on Sumac Creek. We were looking to set up at Hickey Gap (we approached from the West coming off 411) but after a quick drive by we saw that although there were a few sites available it wasn't for us. Too close and too many people. Wanted to be able to have our own space, let the dogs run around, etc. Take a right out of Hickey Gap Campground and continue straight through the 4-way intersection. You'll soon (a mile or less) come to a horseshoe with a pull off on the right at the apex of the turn. Park there and there will be a primitive site/flat spot about 25 yds into the trees to the right of the creek (prolly see remnants of a campfire ring). The other half of our group set up there while we set up our tent in between the split of the creek a little further in. Essentially had our own private island. Heavy tree cover so don't get your hopes up for star gazing here. Real nice to have the sound of the creek flowing all night.

If you're travelling West to East like we did it'll be on your right side. You'll climb a hill for quite some time and then it'll flatten off where the clearing is off to your right. Then the road continues on turning down. You can't miss this one. It's a big clearing about 1/4 of the size of a football field. There is a trail leading out the back of the clearing into the woods - we checked it out and had a hard time turning around after it got too tight for the Wrangler and LC60 we had. Assuming some sort of hunting trail that you'd navigate either on foot or with a buggy/polaris/gator type of vehicle.

The next day we continued on looking to stop for a few hikes before heading home and passed a couple of potential sites. Need to try and find them on the map and log them. But yes, again, get the Gaia app and download the map. Be sure to unzip it. We did it on the fly with our iPad on the road and were stumped as to why it wasn't working. Figured out that it had to be unzipped to load.
Thank you so much!

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

That's cool, Thanks for posting. We took the Traverse East to West last year from Expo and leaving in the morning from Birmingham going to take it to Expo West to East this time.

Reactions: DirtySox