Georgia Traverse

• HTML tutorial

Seth C.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fort Hood
Member #

Hello to all! Im looking at taking my first overland trip in late November on the Georgia Traverse trail with my younger brother. Through the research I have done the terrain does not seem difficult for my first multi day trip. (I will be in my 4runner and my brother is taking his jeep) With that said I was curious to get some input from those on here that have been on the trail. What was your experience like? Any areas that should be avoid? Any "must see" places in your opinions along the route? or just any general input? Thank you all for your input.

Seth C.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fort Hood
Member #

Youtube channel Jason Koertge has been on it twice at different times of the year check out his channel, he's also a OB member so maybe he chime in.

He did most of it the second time, while pulling a turtleback trailer behind his 4Runner.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I'll check his channel out. Thanks!

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I am considering taking the same trip if I can be done with it and in Nashville for Thanksgiving day. I would need to start out on late Monday. Ive seen Jasons videos. My 4runner is bone stock. Lets see what sort of replys you get here.

Reactions: Seth C.

Seth C.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fort Hood
Member #

I am considering taking the same trip if I can be done with it and in Nashville for Thanksgiving day. I would need to start out on late Monday. Ive seen Jasons videos. My 4runner is bone stock. Lets see what sort of replys you get here.
We are looking at going the week after Thanksgiving. If you end up going you should post how it went in this thread. I would greatly appreciate it.

SwellRunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miramar Beach
Member #

Hello to all! Im looking at taking my first overland trip in late November on the Georgia Traverse trail with my younger brother......
@SwellRunner - any insight alongside of your vlog.........

Here is his DAY 1 - Georgia Traverse (Round 2) video:

Yo!

You’ll be totally fine in all areas of the route - but Tray Mountain (vlog 40 I think) needs to be taken seriously. It’s pretty technical. But don’t shy away from it - it’s a blast!!

You can see all the nasty stuff in that episode and a stock 4runner can do it fine with the right line and taking it slow. Just be mindful of your lowest clearance points and you’ll do just fine!

I know a stock 80 series land cruiser with factory running boards that’s done it!

SwellRunner
2016 4Runner Trail, 3" OME lift with other goodies.

Overlanding Weekly Vlog on YouTube

Follow us on the Instagram

Seth C.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fort Hood
Member #

Yo!

You’ll be totally fine in all areas of the route - but Tray Mountain (vlog 40 I think) needs to be taken seriously. It’s pretty technical. But don’t shy away from it - it’s a blast!!

You can see all the nasty stuff in that episode and a stock 4runner can do it fine with the right line and taking it slow. Just be mindful of your lowest clearance points and you’ll do just fine!

I know a stock 80 series land cruiser with factory running boards that’s done it!

SwellRunner

Been powering through your VLOG. Really awesome stuff man and very informative. You got yourself another subscriber. Keep up the good work brother!

Reactions: SwellRunner

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Yo!

SwellRunner

By stock I mean tires, height, and factory running boards.... do you still think its ok? ...and I have been following your youtube channel awhile now, keep up the good work!

2017 trd off road premium.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwellRunner

SwellRunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miramar Beach
Member #

By stock I mean tires, height, and factory running boards.... do you still think its ok? ...and I have been following your youtube channel awhile now, keep up the good work!

2017 trd off road premium.
Yes. You could do it. But you’d need to watch your line closely. If you’re experienced you’ll be fine. If you have no experience off-roading, id recommend going with someone. Or getting some experience first.

SwellRunner

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Yes. You could do it. But you’d need to watch your line closely. If you’re experienced you’ll be fine. If you have no experience off-roading, id recommend going with someone. Or getting some experience first.

SwellRunner

Ive been trying to get some experience. The terrain in Louisiana is much different than north Georgia as you can guess. If theees any chance of ice or snow it will be a no go for me.

You use an ome lift...is it ome springs paired with their yellow shocks or??? How do you like that set up compared to stock? Did it eliminate body roll and nose dive? Is it much rougher?

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

I just did the first 48 miles from the South Carolina border to the Tallulah River Road. It was pretty easy terrain (dry conditions). Some areas do get narrow. Bring a chainsaw as I had to clear one decent sized tree and a couple of smaller ones. The traverse is a mix of dirt/gravel and paved roads. You can bypass the east side of Tray Mountain Rd. (the tough side) if you want. You've got a couple of options. You can just go past it and reconnect with the route near Unicoi State Park or when coming down GA197 turn on to Wildcat Rd if it's open. It turns into Mill Creek Rd and eventually connects with the Unicoi Turnpike North of Helen.

IMG_1149.JPG

Last edited:

Seth C.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fort Hood
Member #

I just did the first 48 miles from the South Carolina border to the Tallulah River Road. It was pretty easy terrain (dry conditions). Some areas do get narrow. Bring a chainsaw as I had to clear one decent sized tree and a couple of smaller ones. The traverse is a mix of dirt/gravel and paved roads. You can bypass the east side of Tray Mountain Rd. (the tough side) if you want. You've got a couple of options. You can just go past it and reconnect with the route near Unicoi State Park or when coming down GA197 turn on to Wildcat Rd if it's open. It turns into Mill Creek Rd and eventually connects with the Unicoi Turnpike North of Helen.

View attachment 37115
Thanks for the input Doug

JimSimmons

Rank 0

Traveler I

We had a good time on part of the GA Traverse. Just don't do Tray Mountain at night lol. Don't let the harder sections scare you off. That's all part of the fun.