Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Anybody ran it? Got Jan 1st-4th off and was thinking about running it.
I started it, but we had bad weather & went off on some random diversions, so we didn’t get very far at all. I’m hoping to pick it back up where we left off in the near future. Make a hard copy print out of the route & possible alternate routes & detours before you go. My phone & tablet didn’t get any service, some of the dirt tracks didn’t show up on my car’s GPS (TomTom system on my Subaru headunit), & in some spots we couldn’t even hit any of the GMRS repeaters for the comms. Both me and the other guy I was with aren’t in the HAM bandwagon. Too much technical stuff to learn and buy - I’d rather spend that money on my rig. The hills were steep & the valleys were deep. It was unexpected, I have the weBoost Drive 4G-X signal booster. Go prepared & happy trails!

Reactions: cracker0925

cracker0925

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Georgia, USA
First Name
nick
Last Name
chapman
Member #

I started it, but we had bad weather & went off on some random diversions, so we didn’t get very far at all. I’m hoping to pick it back up where we left off in the near future. Make a hard copy print out of the route & possible alternate routes & detours before you go. My phone & tablet didn’t get any service, some of the dirt tracks didn’t show up on my car’s GPS (TomTom system on my Subaru headunit), & in some spots we couldn’t even hit any of the GMRS repeaters for the comms. Both me and the other guy I was with aren’t in the HAM bandwagon. Too much technical stuff to learn and buy - I’d rather spend that money on my rig. The hills were steep & the valleys were deep. It was unexpected, I have the weBoost Drive 4G-X signal booster. Go prepared & happy trails!
Thanks for the info.

Enthusiast I

Dallas, GA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Wadsworth
Member #

I just ran from hwy 60/221 thru to hwy 411 on Saturday. Went on the southern loop around Cohutta wilderness. Ride was great with no issues at all. Was using Gaia GPS on iPad/iPhone with cellular and didn’t have any issues with tracking route. Beautiful ride, spent probably 5-6 hrs behind wheel w/lunch stop along the Toccoa River. Never needed 4 wheel drive but high clearance was needed in a few spots.

93637656-1C74-476F-A242-4D5613BF231A.jpeg

Last edited:

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I just ran from hwy 60/221 thru to hwy 411 on Saturday. Went on the southern loop around Cohutta wilderness. Ride was great with no issues at all. Was using Gaia GPS on iPad/iPhone with cellular and didn’t have any issues with tracking route. Beautiful ride, spent probably 5-6 hrs behind wheel w/lunch stop along the Toccoa River. Never needed 4 wheel drive but high clearance was needed in a few spots.

View attachment 133015
Mill Creek Overlook ?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Anybody ran it? Got Jan 1st-4th off and was thinking about running it.
the wife and i are going to Cloudland State Park just outside of Chatanooga in a couple of weeks...what other areas do you recommend seeing in that area? anything good going east out by Blue Ridge?
we have a tear-drop we may take or just tent out of the back of the truck, so remote and dispersed camping is good

Last edited:

cracker0925

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Georgia, USA
First Name
nick
Last Name
chapman
Member #

the wife and i are going to Cloudland State Park just outside of Chatanooga in a couple of weeks...what other areas do you recommend seeing in that area? anything good going east out by Blue Ridge?
we have a tear-drop we may take or just tent out of the back of the truck, so remote and dispersed camping is good
Fs-58 long creek falls, great spot to camp, hike, and see beautiful falls.

cracker0925

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Georgia, USA
First Name
nick
Last Name
chapman
Member #

image.jpg

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I"m planning going to Cloudland State Park also on the last weekend of January.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I"m planning going to Cloudland State Park also on the last weekend of January.
Nice. My wife and I drove up to Ohio last Jan. to buy our off-road camp trailer. ($4000 cheaper than buying it in Louisiana) and then took it to Gatlinburg and ended up doing a little chapel-in-the-woods wedding and then honeymooned at Cloudland after she saw a pic of a waterfall hike there. So we're heading back the 26th for our 1st anniversary. Checking out more of the surrounding area this time...it was really cold and we didn't expect to be camping so we had little gear. There were icicles all around the waterfall and it was pretty awesome, well worth freezing for!

Last edited:

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Wow...that is a sweet campsite! Don't see how you can get much better than that...just googled it and that is really close to Cloudland State Park so we are definitely hitting that area. Thanks for sharing that!
I hope is not too late or you are already know about it.
You can use discount code WNTR2019 to save you some money.20200107_130003.jpg20200107_130032.jpg