Bozz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
MARK
Last Name
CURRIER
Headed out on Thursday morning to do the Georgia Traverse. Will be starting in Dillard, GA and heading West.

View attachment 268362
One of our camp spots along the traverse.

Took these with a GoPro knock-off as it was getting dark. Somewhat blurry. Wasn't familiar with the camera.

media.jpg

20210101_023142.JPG

20210101_023325.JPG

20210101_023344.JPG

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
very nice camp site.
the wife and i have been going to georgia a lot the last 5 years and usually basecamp at vogel or amicalola and then spend a week or so exploring and going on hikes. we want to try the traverse, but im a little worried about clearance. i have a lifted tundra with a shell and cargo rack on top and we tried a jeep trail south of amicalola and i barely fit in several places and there was no room to turn around after a few miles in and i sure dont want to do that again. is the entire traverse pretty easy to clear or are there some areas i should just bypass? the traverse is in sections, so are there any sections you really like and recommend over other sections?

Bozz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
MARK
Last Name
CURRIER
Hey @grubworm,

This was our first trip on the Georgia Traverse. Unlike a LOT of the videos I had seen about it (ALL of them actually), MOST of what we went on was VERY rough and steep (up and down hill). As for clearance, we did not have any issues in my Raptor with a RTT on the back even, my truck clears at about 7-7.5 feet. There were MANY places (hundreds) where trees had been down across the road, but obviously other trail runners had cut them at least wide enough for a vehicle. We only passed 2 or 3 places where we wondered if we were going to make it height-wise, but as we got closer it was obvious that we would make it with some room to spare.

I am not familiar with the names of the different sections. We had GAIA maps on a tablet with the Georgia Traverse mapped out and waypoints, but had great difficulty getting it to work 100%. I guess we should have brought a 10 year old kid to work it for us. We entered the trail at Dillard, GA and headed West after driving out there from Nashville, TN. Got on it pretty late in the day. It was ROUGH going. VERY bumpy, LOTS of rocks pitted into the trail/road. By the time we found a place to camp we were losing our fascination with the GT. Took a while to get out of there the next morning, but then we encountered some much smoother trails, a a couple more like that first one. We kept commenting that none of the videos made it look this unpleasant. Camped the second night (will have to figure out where that was in a few days, not sure. Photos from above are from the second night). Third day was just go as far as we could on the trail to a paved road that would lead us home, somewhere West of Helen, GA? We cut our trip short one day. Actually the trails that we were on the third day were the most enjoyable and scenic. I did have to use 4H and 4L several times. The elevation was way up there and some sections of the trail were VERY ROCKY, but the weather was perfect. We finished up somewhere near the top rafting entry point of the Ocoee River this afternoon, hit pavement and headed home.

20231027_143634.jpg

20231027_134255.jpg

20231027_112056.jpg

20231026_172729.jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
thanks for the info...
yeah, i was wondering about the rocks, too. some of the waterfall hikes have pretty well maintained roads going to them, but some of those are a bit bumpy so i can imagine how rough the traverse could get.
glad you had a fun time and all went well. great set up you have!
love the pics, too...north georgia is beautiful this time of year