Georgia traverse-recent/current road closures?

• HTML tutorial

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Hey everyone. My wife and I are planning on doing as much of the traverse as we can in the next few weeks. I am having the hardest time trying to understand from afar what roads are open vs closed. The Georgia Overland site doesn't look to have any updates from this year, and i would rather know slightly in advance if i should just avoid an area instead of making a giant detour.

I know that Tray Mountain is closed, and will likely not open. Other then that, what am i really looking at for closures so far? I am planning on running it west to east so that we can scoot up to North Carolina in the end.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Get the GAIA GPS App.
You can download the US Forest Roads & Trails map and the MVUM (USFS) maps with a premium subscription.
You can also go to the USFS website. (But you can't download maps to have when you're wheeling off-grid) -

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Get the GAIA GPS App.
You can download the US Forest Roads & Trails map and the MVUM (USFS) maps with a premium subscription.
You can also go to the USFS website. (But you can't download maps to have when you're wheeling off-grid) -
will the forest service roads in Gaia show active road closures? Iv tried looking at the forest service website but without my map overlay I had the hardest time trying to put my route into perspective.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
will the forest service roads in Gaia show active road closures? Iv tried looking at the forest service website but without my map overlay I had the hardest time trying to put my route into perspective.
Yes. It's updated regularly.
Just before your trip you can download MVUM maps of the area of you can record a route and download maps just for your route.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Good to know. Iv already built my route in Gaia, I just haven’t bought the premium subscription yet. It’s good to know it actually has some live data.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Good to know. Iv already built my route in Gaia, I just haven’t bought the premium subscription yet. It’s good to know it actually has some live data.
Just be sure to download the desired maps along with your route.
Until recently, I would just use the default GAIA Topo map when I saved a route. It worked fine. But, downloading tiles from the FS Road & Trail maps makes a huge difference when you're off grid and don't have service.

Reactions: haaken675

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
We are planning on heading up Saturday, and starting the trail east to west on Sunday. Looks like we are in for rain going off of the forecasts...Anything i should be watching out for (aside from the obvious)...