Georgia, SC, NC, Tenn Overlanders Ga. Traverse Meetup and Trail Ride

• HTML tutorial

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

The discussions are open. Looking at a ride date of Saturday Jan. 27, Feb. 3rd or 10th. Ride from SC Traverse beginning to Hwy 23 above Dillard. Further depending on group size and time. Opinions welcomed, especially on the date. Will also post current trail conditions with formal Meet up announcement.

Formal Meet up and ride will be posted the week of Jan. 8th thru 12th. Chime in.

SawtoothBound

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

CANTON GEORGIA
Member #

Sounds great. Been wanting to do the traverse for a while. I live in north georgia so i've been on a number of the sections but haven't strung them together yet.

Reactions: NC4RNNR

NC4RNNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winston Salem
Member #

Later is better for me too. Already have two trips in January so Feb would be better as far as timing. Not sure the same is true about weather though.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I'm unfamiliar with the trails, but from what little I've read, it sounds like it wouldn't be an issue for someone in a rwd truck.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using OB Talk mobile app

From what I hear, that sounds about right. A few of us are planning a recon trip next weekend to locate a good meet point and to check out the travel generally so we can offer an accurate report for those with factory stock rigs. The idea is to get as many as who want on the trail rather than doing a more difficult trail that would limit numbers.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I'd love if there was some fishing around there

Cooper Creek is well down the Traverse but it has outstanding fishing as I've been told. Also excellent camping there with a vaulted toilet. I've never fly fished but giving serious thought to taking it up. Also out the south side of Cooper Creek just west up Hwy 60 is Deep Hole on Toccoa River with excellent camping and also a vaulted toilet. This is also right on the Traverse.

Reactions: Wilkes704

Wilkes704

Rank III

Advocate II

Cooper Creek is well down the Traverse but it has outstanding fishing as I've been told. Also excellent camping there with a vaulted toilet. I've never fly fished but giving serious thought to taking it up. Also out the south side of Cooper Creek just west up Hwy 60 is Deep Hole on Toccoa River with excellent camping and also a vaulted toilet. This is also right on the Traverse.
Well if I can make it, I wouldn't mind giving some lessons. I'll have to see what the date is and how long of a drive it would be.

Reactions: Keith McAlister

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

The Georgia Traverse Meet up and Trail Ride will formally post up early part next week, maybe this Sunday night. It will be either Saturday Feb 3rd or 10th. Leaning strongly towards the 10th at the moment to give a weekend break after winter rallys in NC & Tenn on last weekend of January.

This is formally a day ride but we encourage those who want to overnight to come prepared for that and I suspect there will be many who do and plan on going into Sunday on the Traverse. When the Meet up announcement posts, those who are interested in an extended Traverse trip, post up that you are such and who else might be interested to get an idea of what plans to make.

overlandford

Rank 0

Traveler I

Are the FS roads on the traverse route open in the winter? I was looking at a MVUM and it showed about every road closed from at the latest 12/31 to the earliest being march?

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Are the FS roads on the traverse route open in the winter? I was looking at a MVUM and it showed about every road closed from at the latest 12/31 to the earliest being march?
Everything we came across was open but I find in warm weather that many FS roads are subject to closure as more traffic is seen in these areas. During hunting season, the gates fling open so hunters have great access.

At least this has been my experience.