Shane_ONeil

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Manassas, Virginia, USA
Member #

Hello overlanders,

Since moving to Alexandria, Virginia in August of this year, I have taken several trips to George Washington National Forest for some reconnaissance for future overlanding trips. I have also not seen any walkers yet. Weird.

Coming up Dinkle Hollow Road towards Flag Pole Knob (FPK)

Vaxtoberfest, Virginia XTerra Club, October 2015 at FPK

Staircase, FPK

Brooklynn is the Fire Queen (she started and maintained a fire during constant moderate rainfall, at night)

Night shot of Base Camp, FPK

Day shot of Base Camp, FPK

Making coffee, Base Camp, FPK

Unidentified OHV trail, FPK

Base camp, FPK

Kissing earth, FPK

Jawid, the off-road German Shepherd

Getting eyes on the trail from up high, FPK

Happy GSD out in his element.

FPK Summit, GWNF

Facing east, FPK summit, GWNF

Brook and Jawid, GWNF

Skidmore Fork Road, GWNF

You know this is always a must-have item....

Yeah buddy!

briankennedy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Looks like good time ,sad thing I don't live but a few hours away and haven't had time to check out GWNF .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiskeytacos

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Im planning on spending a day/night cutting through there in a couple of weeks on a roundabout way from NYC to Savannah. Any advice would be appreciated as I am a virtual stranger to the Southeast

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Thanks for sharing. I saw some familiar terrain in your pics as we were there last month. It was really cool with the trees coated with ice but was so foggy at elevation you couldn't see much of anything. Also broke the first thing (stepper) on my Tacoma. Great terrain to explore and look forward to more road openings GWNF. Walt

hopdup

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Aliquippa
Member #

Yeah man! I just added it to mine. Only 5 hours away too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Roach

Rank I

Traveler I

Did you come across any beginner trails? Just getting into overlanding and I want to test out my rigs capability. Also if you have any other reccomendations on where to go I'm interested. I live in Maryland and don't know any real overlanding oppurtunites around here.

Justin

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looks like a fun trip. I ran Reddish Knob and Flag Pole from West to East earlier this year. I'm looking forward to getting to do it again! I'm in the VAXC group as well, but haven't managed to make any of the runs. They always seem to fall when I've got other stuff going on.