Rank II

Contributor III

D.C., DC, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Iam
Member #

End of March would be best for me due to business travel and also awaiting new vehicle delivery (and need for a few minor off road/overland mods immediately after delivery). Look forward to getting out on some trails with some fellow local members.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I'm flexible to move. I will know my schedule better after my son's hockey spring tryouts. So the dates are not firm

TylerHott

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Martinsburg, WV, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Hott
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS
My son and I are interested in attending. Just let us know what dates you decide on and hopefully we’ll be able to tag along

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

so I have looked the kids sport activities and pretty much a whole March is free. let me know your preferable dates. I'm flexible.

Reactions: TylerHott

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I'm interested.
Watching the thread..
There's a nice campsite on fs18 (from Thomas to Olson fire tower) that will accommodate several vehicles, but it's popular, so it's frequently claimed when I go past.

Reactions: TylerHott

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Let's decide weekd of 17 to 19 is St Patrick day. We can go or some busy we can go weekend after St Patrick day.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Ok let do it than. I have no plan what so ever. I thought to take off on friday afternoon and camp somewhere. Any locations are welcome.
1. we can do 39.08096, -78.50486
2. or we go all way down to Canaan loop off RT 32 and find camp right there
3. or we do camp at any location for your choice, also if water is not high we can attempt to do Dry fork river crossing after passing a black water water fall. It's lot a good camping on other side of river.

But I'm opened to any other location for Friday or Sat, if you are guys know a better locations. I been in those place but looking Gaia, it's a mess on my maps.
Also hit Flag pole trail from the lake side and down most challenging way, unless water hole too deep and they can be, no reason to damage a trucks. Maybe camp at flag pole lake side/river on Sat.
So anyone has a better idea you can lead to it. it's combine effort. Most important, when do we leave Friday or Sat? that will depend on camping allocations.

Last edited:

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

There's some nice spots on Squirrel Gap Rd, just west of Wardensville, but I think the fs road is closed until 4/1, same with Paddys/ Vances Cove, the coordinates you gave. :(
I ran Union Springs to Flagpole back n Nov and a couple of the ledges were rutted out pretty bad.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

There's some nice spots on Squirrel Gap Rd, just west of Wardensville, but I think the fs road is closed until 4/1, same with Paddys/ Vances Cove, the coordinates you gave. :(
I ran Union Springs to Flagpole back n Nov and a couple of the ledges were rutted out pretty bad.
Is Canaan loop closed as well ?

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I don't believe Canaan Loop is seasonally closed like many of the other roads.
That being said, I did hear that it was closed last year because of so many people getting stuck in the snow.

I find the Forest Service interactive map a great tool for planning.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Great we can follow your lead. Do you want go Friday evening and camp somewhere near my coordinates there is Nation forest on WVA side that shoud be open. Than in morning do Canaan loop and get camp one more night or proceed to flapol area and camp there . All option are open

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I made a couple of phone calls this morning to some ranger stations to verify some information.
As suspected, the fs roads around Wardensville are seasonally closed until April 3. :(
Canaan Loop Rd and FS 18 are open.

So here’s some thoughts to ponder, most certainly not trying to dictate the plan;
If this is going to be a Fri/ Sat nite trip, determined by availability of those wanting to go, and the interest expressed of doing both Canaan Loop and Flagpole, I would suggest getting out to the Davis area as early Fri as we can. I know the dispersed spots get claimed pretty early during peak season. Don’t know what this time of year is like.
Then Sat morning we do our exploring around and migrate over towards Flagpole and set up camp in that area for Sat nite. Then Sunday is whatever the group wants to do as we make our way back towards home.
BTW, the extended forecast for nitetime temps in the Davis area for the 17th is in the mid to upper 20’s. Brrrr..

Where do we want to meet?

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I’m sorry to say I’m going to have to bail on this trip. There’s too many chores around home that have been getting behind.