Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

How exactly does one cheat at geocaching? Either you found it or you didn’t.
A number of people work together go out separately each with their own logins. When each person finds a cache they sign on behalf of themselves and their counterparts who in turn do the same. That way they clock up finds without actually visiting them all.

Additionally you used to be able to revisit the same cache and be awarded a point each time. I'm not sure that's still the case though

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

People mark caches as found, witch they haven't, only to get their smiley count up. It doesn't impact anyone negatively, but does put a damper on the game.
Hmmmm learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea.

BlueLineOverland

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

A number of people work together go out separately each with their own logins. When each person finds a cache they sign on behalf of themselves and their counterparts who in turn do the same. That way they clock up finds without actually visiting them all.

Additionally you used to be able to revisit the same cache and be awarded a point each time. I'm not sure that's still the case though
That's a whole new level of lazy lol

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

Well I started Geocaching lets just say a long time ago. I had to do some traveling to find caches but managed to accumulate several in probably 15 states. Id take the wife and kids and id turn the kids loose with the GPS and follow along for the fun. My kids said dad you can hide things better than that so the challenge was on. I secretly registered probably 15 caches on the Web site and told the wife and kids hey theirs a new guy hiding geocaches. The kids had a lot of fun and said there the best we've hunted. I really enjoyed telling them they were mine.
Its been close to 20 years and some are still active. I haven't done any hinting in a long time. I was really disappointed when I found out they charged now for the location of most caches.
As for the people hunting in groups and logging other's that weren't there, all i can say is there of the same generation that demanded everyone should get a trophy. No pride in an accomplishment. Fortunately I taught my kids differently.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
People mark caches as found, witch they haven't, only to get their smiley count up. It doesn't impact anyone negatively...
I disagree. It can cause trouble if there's a missing or damaged cache and people keep making it found. I wish people would stay up to date on their contact info too. There are some caches around that I would gladly take ownership of to be able to repair them and keep them alive.

Last edited:

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I disagree. It can cause trouble if there's a missing or damaged cache and people keep making it found. I wish people would stay up to date on their contact info too. There are some caches around that I would gladly take ownership of to be able to repair them and keep them alive.
I know people "Find" caches without actually going anywhere near the cache in question. That's where the CO need to keep on top of his / her admin and delete finds that aren't signed for.

Reactions: Jorrie and TerryD

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

Really? You disagree. Well I guess I was a little more understanding than you. There was a Master at hiding caches probably 40 miles from my home. Had unbelievable caches and everyone waited in anticipation for him to unveil the next cache. A few months passed and his wife posted that he had passed. Without any organizational effort people started servicing and updating his caches and to this day remain in his name. I always carried log books and several types of containers to repair any I found. i didn't have to have my name on them just continued it for the next guy. I sure like my generation that doesn't require self gratification. My 2 cents.

Dock Rocker

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Really? You disagree. Well I guess I was a little more understanding than you. There was a Master at hiding caches probably 40 miles from my home. Had unbelievable caches and everyone waited in anticipation for him to unveil the next cache. A few months passed and his wife posted that he had passed. Without any organizational effort people started servicing and updating his caches and to this day remain in his name. I always carried log books and several types of containers to repair any I found. i didn't have to have my name on them just continued it for the next guy. I sure like my generation that doesn't require self gratification. My 2 cents.
I guess that’s where I’m lost as well. When we were geocaching regularly I always kept a few items to help different caches when they were in disrepair. I though it was about the game not who’s name was on the cache.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm guessing this is directed at me?

I'm not against keeping one up as a user and not an owner. I'm not saying that I wouldn't and don't attempt to leave them in better shape than I found them. It would be nice to have the ownership turned over so updates can be logged though. Such as a massive cleanup in a local park removed the stump a cache was inside of and now its a dead cache or some similar situation.

A local buddy and I have plans to repair a few local caches one the weather is better. We've left messages on the caches as well in case the owner gets out there first.

BlueLineOverland

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Well I started Geocaching lets just say a long time ago. I had to do some traveling to find caches but managed to accumulate several in probably 15 states. Id take the wife and kids and id turn the kids loose with the GPS and follow along for the fun. My kids said dad you can hide things better than that so the challenge was on. I secretly registered probably 15 caches on the Web site and told the wife and kids hey theirs a new guy hiding geocaches. The kids had a lot of fun and said there the best we've hunted. I really enjoyed telling them they were mine.
Its been close to 20 years and some are still active. I haven't done any hinting in a long time. I was really disappointed when I found out they charged now for the location of most caches.
As for the people hunting in groups and logging other's that weren't there, all i can say is there of the same generation that demanded everyone should get a trophy. No pride in an accomplishment. Fortunately I taught my kids differently.

Thank you for your dedication to geocaching. You are absolutely correct. They are only cheating themselves and there is absolutely ZERO gratification someone can receive for this, so why even do it? lol unreal what this generation is coming to …..

MunsterGeo Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mid West Ireland
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

My family was really getting into geocaching until the app updated last year some time and now wants like $30 a year to use most access most of the caches in my area. Am I missing something, as this app was originally a small one time purchase. I really like going out with my son, and he misses it, but I just have a hard time signing up for anything that requires continuous payment for something I don't know how much I'm able to do. Seems like everything is a subscription anymore, and it kind of makes me crazy.

Sorry if I missed a discussion on this or something. I will admit I didn't read the entire thread...
Sorry to hear that is the case.

We don't use an app, we use either the PC or smartphone on the internet directly rather than the app. It hasn't detracted from our enjoyment at all to be honest although it probably is a clunky way of doing things

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We spent a few hours Sunday riding around through some surrounding areas that we'd never been in before. We logged a few finds along the way and everyone had a good time. We did a little maintenance to one of the caches where a baggy had torn and the log was wet.

MotorBug

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mountain View, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
I'm disappointed that you can't download caches direct to your GPS anymore. Even as a Premium Member.
There is a work around. While the link to download directly to a GPS section is gone you still can. Select the "download gpx" link on the cache page and point it to your GPS or microSD card in the box that pops up.