Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

My family was really getting into geocaching until the app updated last year some time and now wants like $30 a year to use most access most of the caches in my area. Am I missing something, as this app was originally a small one time purchase. I really like going out with my son, and he misses it, but I just have a hard time signing up for anything that requires continuous payment for something I don't know how much I'm able to do. Seems like everything is a subscription anymore, and it kind of makes me crazy.

Sorry if I missed a discussion on this or something. I will admit I didn't read the entire thread...
I don't an app. I use Geocaching.com which can be used either at home on a PC or whilst out and about with your Mobile phone. I must admit we do use a proper handheld GPS rather than using the limited GPS facilities on a mobile telephone.

Last edited:

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We used to do a lot of 'caching, but haven't for a few years now. Often thought it'd be good to get back into it while on holidays and trips away.
Just don't have the time during the normal week anymore.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

We used to do a lot of 'caching, but haven't for a few years now. Often thought it'd be good to get back into it while on holidays and trips away.
Just don't have the time during the normal week anymore.
When we plan on going somewhere, one of the things we look at is how many caches are in the area. I will admit it' not the deal breaker but it certainly helps with choosing where to go.

On that subject when we went on our honeymoon cruise we learnt a huge amount about the places we visited purely due to the information submitted by the cache owners. The Norwegian Caches we experienced must be (in our opinion) the best we have discovered ever, based on the information we have learnt.

Reactions: nickburt

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

We placed 4 Trackables in a container when we were in Switzerland. They were all ours and it was the start of their journeys. Unfortunately a newbie to Geocaching picked up one of them and has managed to lose it within a matter of weeks. He refuses to reply to messages / email to explain or even apologise. Grrrrrr

Hate it when that happens!!!

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

My family was really getting into geocaching until the app updated last year some time and now wants like $30 a year to use most access most of the caches in my area. Am I missing something, as this app was originally a small one time purchase. I really like going out with my son, and he misses it, but I just have a hard time signing up for anything that requires continuous payment for something I don't know how much I'm able to do. Seems like everything is a subscription anymore, and it kind of makes me crazy.

Sorry if I missed a discussion on this or something. I will admit I didn't read the entire thread...

Same here. Most caches requires a premium subscription. Takes all the fun out of it. If I have to pay so much, how am I going to afford new over landing gear!!

Trekkieusn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson Az
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berno
Member #

We placed 4 Trackables in a container when we were in Switzerland. They were all ours and it was the start of their journeys. Unfortunately a newbie to Geocaching picked up one of them and has managed to lose it within a matter of weeks. He refuses to reply to messages / email to explain or even apologise. Grrrrrr
had the same thing happen here, person picked it up at a event and them boom nothing, no replies to messages/ emails

Lakeside

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bruce County, Ontario, Canada
Member #

We used to do it locally, but mostly play on vacations now. Road-side caches or caches a short walk from the road are a good excuse to stop and stretch the legs on a long drive. It's satisfying to find them in a remote location on an arduous hike, but it's also a fun thing to do on a "rest" day when you don't want a long drive or a long hike, but still want to get out and explore the outdoors! I've always paid the premium membership at geocaching.com because I like the added feature of being able to download caches to my handheld GPS.

Reactions: Aussie571

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I plan on doing this with my boys to help add some reasons to get outside, and to give some purpose to some of the adventure/exploration drives I take them on (which is typically me scouting for future campsite possibilities). I don't care if it has jumped the shark. I always seem to find out about things years after they have had their peak (and yes it appears to be over its peak).

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

I plan on doing this with my boys to help add some reasons to get outside, and to give some purpose to some of the adventure/exploration drives I take them on (which is typically me scouting for future campsite possibilities). I don't care if it has jumped the shark. I always seem to find out about things years after they have had their peak (and yes it appears to be over its peak).
Both of our kids are high level ADD and geocaching is perfect for constant adventure opportunities anywhere you stop. We use the geocaching app from the App Store. We are no experts, but it’s one more twist on adventuring and it keeps the kids engaged and sharp. Happy hunting!

WestieTRD

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

6108 NW Snowlily Dr, Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Blurton
Member #

Both of our kids are high level ADD and geocaching is perfect for constant adventure opportunities anywhere you stop. We use the geocaching app from the App Store. We are no experts, but it’s one more twist on adventuring and it keeps the kids engaged and sharp. Happy hunting!
That's awesome. Geocaching.com was our go-to when our Garmin was a better GPS than our phone, and it wasn't $30 a year! Maybe we just need to use this thread to mark down the ones that are Overland Destination friendly and I'll put away my McScrooge glasses.

This was out favorite last year. An old West Coast Radar installation with a great campsite on the way up. If anyone exploring the Oregon Coast it's a great stop.

http://coord.info/GC16TGD

I want to go back when the fog lifts. IMG_20170617_094716.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Sheepdog831