Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Hey guys I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the genesis dual battery kit for the Tacoma and I was wondering if anybody has ran Optima Yellow tops versus the odyssey for batteries.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

In my experience, Odyssey has the slight edge. They generally have a higher reserve capacity for the same Group size. And, anecdotally, I have seen a shorter than expected life span from Yellow Tops, specifically.

That said, it's not that big of a gap between the two and since every setup is different your mileage may vary either way. There are generally better things to waffle over than this particular decision. ;)

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I know the Optimas have gotten better over the years but, when they were bought out, their quality dropped hard. I think that was late 90's -early 2000's. It took then a while to start picking up on the quality but because of being burned back then, I will only buy Odyssey. As @Shakes355 said, the power is a bit better on the Odyssey.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hey guys I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the genesis dual battery kit for the Tacoma and I was wondering if anybody has ran Optima Yellow tops versus the odyssey for batteries.
I’m actually running both of them as an experiment. Both were brand new and installed 2 years ago. Both are used for starting the engine and both are usually used as house batteries. I do separate them manually when or if, the need arises. So far, each charges up to 12.9 volts. The odyssey has a slight edge. Over night the Oddyssey drops down to 12.6 running the fridge, the Optima drops down to 12.5 volts. Not a huge difference in holding power. I think that after a couple of years of lousy QC, just after Johnson Controls bought them out, that their QC has righted itself and the Optimas are once again a quality product, just as the Odyssey.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
I know the Optimas have gotten better over the years but, when they were bought out, their quality dropped hard. I think that was late 90's -early 2000's. It took then a while to start picking up on the quality but because of being burned back then, I will only buy Odyssey.
Same experience, same time frame, and they lost a customer for life.