Gear for the kids

• HTML tutorial

Hazelwoodjr

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Quarryville Pennsylvania
Member #

Hopefully I’m posting this in the right thread. I did try to find if this topic was already a thread in the search bar. So if it’s already been posted I apologize. If not I was wondering for those that travel with young ones, What are some decent sleeping bags warm or cold weather. Actually what do some of you bring for your kids camping in general? What sparked this question for me, was when I was at the store tonight And I was about to buy sleeping bags for the kids but I want something that last quite a while for them and will keep them warm in cold weather conditions. Or do I just get normal sleeping bags and pack them in with blankets? Just trying to get ideas form more experience people. Chances are, we will be in the roof top tent. If that is a factor. Thank you for any helpful information.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Hazelwoodjr

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Quarryville Pennsylvania
Member #

With some Research I actually found a handful of good quality sleeping bags for kids. I will post them on here for anyone else in the same boat as myself. I would still be interested in seeing what everyone else packs for their young ones.

ob4838

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah
Member #

I was able to get good quality kid size bags, my girl's are in grizzly 30. And my boys are in a different bag that I found at my local outdoor shop. I have them in a roof top tent with me. Cvt Denali. I use a lower quality bag so that I can gauge if they might be cold. They have never complained about low temps, when I was cold. So I think I will start using one of my better bags. I like the kid size ones, smaller size to pack. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900T using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Hazelwoodjr

Hazelwoodjr

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Quarryville Pennsylvania
Member #

I was able to get good quality kid size bags, my girl's are in grizzly 30. And my boys are in a different bag that I found at my local outdoor shop. I have them in a roof top tent with me. Cvt Denali. I use a lower quality bag so that I can gauge if they might be cold. They have never complained about low temps, when I was cold. So I think I will start using one of my better bags. I like the kid size ones, smaller size to pack. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900T using OB Talk mobile app
Very helpful thank you!

Hazelwoodjr

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Quarryville Pennsylvania
Member #

Because they grow so dang fast, and I have accumulated a decent number of bags over the years, I use adult bags for the kids, but instead invested in good quality pajamas (with the footies) to keep them warm. They have been fine so far even camping in early spring in the high rockies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
The pajamas are a great idea[emoji106] thank you for the info!

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Because they grow so dang fast, and I have accumulated a decent number of bags over the years, I use adult bags for the kids, but instead invested in good quality pajamas (with the footies) to keep them warm. They have been fine so far even camping in early spring in the high rockies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
I second this!! Get good warm clothing/gear for them cause they do grow quick! We have a boy and a girl, we've camped in some pretty cold places and good long johns basically and layers!!! Are key along with a good sleeping bag, just get an adult one cause they will grow into it. Eventually lol @Hazelwoodjr

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

My kids all started with Dueter Starlight bags, and we put a blanket inside to reduce the amount of airspace they had to heat. The bags extend for when kids get older. Our kids got 7 years out of them and could have gone longer... they are 40 degree bags, and we bought 40 degree bags for us so we are all on the same playing field...

https://www.deuter.com/DE/en/kids/starlight-3720119-blue.html

James

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

When you're looking at sleeping bag temperature ratings you have to remember that most all the time that is the temperature at which it'll keep you alive Comfort might be a bit of a different story a 30 degree bag in 30 degree weather will not keep you toasty warm most the time but that has a lot to do with your own body mechanics and how warm you sleep in the first place.

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
We do a lot of backpacking. Small women's down-fill bags can be found on craiglist. Seems like some folks get into backpacking and realise it is not for them. You'll be getting a good quality bag for a reasonable price with a bit of room to grow. Do get mummy shaped ones, just for being way warmer, and especially as kids move around, no new air pocket to rewarm. Go with down, as it is so much more efficient, unless bedwetting is a concern, go with synthetic.

I liked the article you quoted, but not its selection of sleeping bags. Premium brads, unfortunately, hard find for Kids, but plenty of Adult choices are: Big Agnes, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, The North Face. REI would be OK too.

Also, we all have sleeping bag liners, they add 5 to 15 degrees of warmth. We sleep in long johns (thermal underwear) instead of pjs - less air pockets next to skin.

Last edited:

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

We just used adult bags but a few years ago we did buy sleeping bag liners. That seemed to be a big hit.

I've accumulated a fair number of bags myself too.... so in cold temps I jam 1 bag into another and drastically increase the thermal value of them.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

My son has an older version of the Mountain Hardwear bag linked below. We are generally camping at altitude so warmth can be an issue. We also wanted something compressible enough for backpacking use. It has been a great bag for him. Easy to care for and good quality. We keep a down comforter in the RTT as well to add or regulate warmth as needed.

If you buy a child a bag that is too big they have to heat more volume. Fill the bottom of the bag with clothes or something to take up that volume or they will not keep warm despite the bags rating.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/bozeman-sleeping-bag-1729221.html?cgid=equipment-sleepingBags&dwvar_1729221_variationColor=451#prefn1=genderGroup&prefv1=Youth&mid=paidsearch&nid=MHW|Generic|Equipment|Google|Phrase|US&oid=Sleeping+Bags_General&did=kids+sleeping+bag&eid=Google+Adwords+US&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!227559267751!p!!g!!kids+sleeping+bag&ef_id=WbkWJQAAAHowAFbn:20180910051227:s&start=0

Last edited: