Gear bins?

• HTML tutorial

Rick Levesque

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rio Rancho NM
Member #

Hoping for suggestions on what works well to pack a bunch of camping gear in to go up on the roof rack... I’m sure there are a million threads on this already... still learning to navigate this thing lol. I basically have about a 2’x3’ spot left..

Thanks!

Reactions: Russell Peters

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Reactions: Rick Levesque

Rick Levesque

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rio Rancho NM
Member #

Reactions: Steve

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
Just ordered my Plano 1918 , can't wait to start packing it ! I've used various other cases but these seem to be a great choice!

Reactions: Rick Levesque

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Just ordered my Plano 1918 , can't wait to start packing it ! I've used various other cases but these seem to be a great choice!
IMG_0773.JPG
I have some Sterilite foot lockers from Wal Mart. They have 2 latches on them plus a padlock hole. With a little bit of weatherstripping they’re good to go. I had 2 on the roof in the pic but can hold 3 in total. Great buy for $20each

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Just came across these today.... anyone with any experience with MTM Crates?

MTM ACR5-72 Ammo Crate Utility Box with 4.5" Deep, Medium, Dark Earth

Last edited:

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

View attachment 65494 I’ve been using the yellow lid box’s for a few years. They actually work great. They hold up a n the weather with no problems. Because they’re so cheap they’re hard to beat. I’d prefer black lids and it would be nice to have a little more security but that hasn’t been enough to get me to buy more expensive box’s.
Do you store them on your rack? Or in your vehicle?

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

View attachment 65494 I’ve been using the yellow lid box’s for a few years. They actually work great. They hold up a n the weather with no problems. Because they’re so cheap they’re hard to beat. I’d prefer black lids and it would be nice to have a little more security but that hasn’t been enough to get me to buy more expensive box’s.
Great to see someone else with a Caravan on here! How well do those recovery trax work for you?

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Just came across these today.... anyone with any experience with MTM Crates?

MTM ACR5-72 Ammo Crate Utility Box with 4.5" Deep, Medium, Dark Earth
I have one MTM crate that works well. I would say more durable than my Sterilite and less durable than my WolfPack.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I have one MTM crate that works well. I would say more durable than my Sterilite and less durable than my WolfPack.
Thanks RedRob!

Is it water tight?

What about UV stability? The amazon comments seemed to indicate that it wasn’t rated for UV and might degrade.

Also, is it worth the cost savings over Wolfpacks in your opinion?

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I’ve also got the Plano boxes that I added weatherstripping to. I use two 108 quart boxes on the roof to hold all of our bulky camp gear (2 tents and 5 each sleeping bags, sleep pads and camp chairs) IMG_7939.JPG

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Thanks RedRob!

Is it water tight?

What about UV stability? The amazon comments seemed to indicate that it wasn’t rated for UV and might degrade.

Also, is it worth the cost savings over Wolfpacks in your opinion?
Definitely weather resistant, with a grooved and gasketed lid. Not waterproof for your photography equipment.

I have not had mine exposed enough to know for sure about long-term UV resistance. My feeling is that it will hold up to several years of travel exposure.

I love my Wolf Packs. Although they are not technically water- or dust-proof, they are very durable and I might use nothing but them if they came in more sizes. Space gets tight in the bed of my Tacoma, and I have the MTM due to it filling a specific need (dry, non-perishable food) and a specific space. If there were a Wolf Pack of the same size I’d have it because they can really take a beating.