G'Day from Aus

• HTML tutorial

Katabolism

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Brisbane
Hi there

Thought it was about time I posted, been on the forums for a while and reading, decided to finally become a member today.

Currently drive a 2014 VW Amarok, when I'm not on the V-Strom.

A trip to Cape York coming up this year (Its the Northern-most point of Australia in QLD) which should be a good three-week trip.

Cheers
Chris

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi there

Thought it was about time I posted, been on the forums for a while and reading, decided to finally become a member today.

A trip to Cape York coming up this year (Its the Northern-most point of Australia in QLD) which should be a good three-week trip.

Cheers

Chris
G'day Chris - welcome to the forums!

Great to see more and more members from Australia. A lot of us here in the US and Europe are envious of the amount of vast and diverse territory you have to explore in AU. I know I am, and if I could ship my vehicle and trailer to Australia without having to cough up a lung, I would in a heartbeat.

If you've been on the forums here a bit, you've been finding your way around alright, I hope. There's a lot here and in a lot of places, and a wide variety of skill and experience among members.

Three weeks for the Cape York trip, eh? For those wondering, up there and back from Brisbane will be about the same distance as going coast to coast here in the states, or from London to Moscow one way. Can't beat longer trips like that when you can do them. Allows you to settle into a completely different routine and way of doing things than back home, doesn't it?

Great looking ride you have there; looking forward to hearing more about it. Like your front end set up and rack there too.

Let us know how we can be of help and if there's anything you need. . .

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hi there

Cheers
Chris
Hello Chris and welcome to the OB crew ...great looking rig and look forward to seeing your adventures

Katabolism

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Brisbane
Thanks for the welcome, yeah the Cape should be a good trip, around 5500kms or nearly 3500 miles, be a good bit of fun, albeit long driving by myself.

Front-end consists of an XROX bar, made in Western Australia, TJM 9500lbs winch, always liked the XROX bar and never did get around to putting one on when I had my FJ Cruiser, so figured it would be a good start with the Amarok

The rack on top is a Rhino Pioneer platform system, I have actually just gotten rid of that one within the last week, and gone for the same setup, just without the side bits, so I can almost get into some carparks now, which is sometimes handy.

Lifted around 1 3/4" with some outback armour suspension, running 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 tyres for the last 60,000kms - 38,000 miles or so, they have been good, thinking I might need to swap them out before the trip, they should easily last another few months I think.

Have a set of Southern oast Fabrications sliders on the side to replace the stock weak sidesteps that were on there. Carryboy Canopy on the back, in the back, is a Bedrug, and over that a set of Drifta drawers (Fantastic Aussie company that one) with a 55L ~ 15Galon water tank in the back there as well.

I run an ArkPak dual battery with a 120AH battery in the back, with a Traxide dual battery system hooking it to the front one, a 75L - 80quart dual zone fridge freezer in the back too, with a 200W KORR solar blanket to keep it topped up.

Think I'm pretty well done with it, for now, I'm sure I'll find something else to put on there, so have been concentrating on the Motorbike now and doing a few things to that instead.

Cheers
Chris

Reactions: Road

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Welcome Chris! Nice rig. Was never convinced about the Amarok until I spent a week in the West Alps in a group and one guy had a 12 cm lifted, nicely kitted, Amarok with RTT in the bed. I’m convinced now! Enjoy the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks for the welcome, yeah the Cape should be a good trip, around 5500kms or nearly 3500 miles, be a good bit of fun, albeit long driving by myself.

Front-end consists of an XROX bar, made in Western Australia, TJM 9500lbs winch, always liked the XROX bar and never did get around to putting one on when I had my FJ Cruiser, so figured it would be a good start with the Amarok

The rack on top is a Rhino Pioneer platform system, I have actually just gotten rid of that one within the last week, and gone for the same setup, just without the side bits, so I can almost get into some carparks now, which is sometimes handy.

Lifted around 1 3/4" with some outback armour suspension, running 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 tyres for the last 60,000kms - 38,000 miles or so, they have been good, thinking I might need to swap them out before the trip, they should easily last another few months I think.

Have a set of Southern oast Fabrications sliders on the side to replace the stock weak sidesteps that were on there. Carryboy Canopy on the back, in the back, is a Bedrug, and over that a set of Drifta drawers (Fantastic Aussie company that one) with a 55L ~ 15Galon water tank in the back there as well.

I run an ArkPak dual battery with a 120AH battery in the back, with a Traxide dual battery system hooking it to the front one, a 75L - 80quart dual zone fridge freezer in the back too, with a 200W KORR solar blanket to keep it topped up.

Think I'm pretty well done with it, for now, I'm sure I'll find something else to put on there, so have been concentrating on the Motorbike now and doing a few things to that instead.

Cheers
Chris
Sounds great, man, looking forward to hearing more, and seeing it in action. That's the 2nd time in a week I've heard about the Traxide dual batt system. Looks interesting. Here's the thread it is in, about the ninth post: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/anyone-have-experience-with-onboard-battery-chargers.13542/#post-206181

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

sweet rig. I am envious of all the fun vehicles you have down in Australia. Tons of diesels and models us yanks cant get our hands on.

Katabolism

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Brisbane
Thanks for the welcomes

Cape trip is now just on 2 months away, all set, besides some new boots for the Amarok, countdown is on