Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Just read the whole thread as I'm considering a T4. Thank you all for the insight. Earlier in the thread, there was mention of the floor being damaged from a cot's feet. While the moving blanket is a great idea, if you want a smaller/lighter solution, cut a tennis ball in 1/2 & place under the cot's feet.
The 1/2 tennis ball also helps your Helinox-type chair's feet from sinking in soft soil!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just read the whole thread as I'm considering a T4. Thank you all for the insight. Earlier in the thread, there was mention of the floor being damaged from a cot's feet. While the moving blanket is a great idea, if you want a smaller/lighter solution, cut a tennis ball in 1/2 & place under the cot's feet.
The 1/2 tennis ball also helps your Helinox-type chair's feet from sinking in soft soil!
I love that hack... also, the T4 Overland model has a heavy duty footprint... and it’s offered for the T4 Plus and the T8 as an accessory. I highly recommend the new footprint

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

We like a comfy floor in the tent anyway, just a first-day blunder on my part that damaged the floor.

Edward Ruth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Ruth
Member #

I’ve been looking for a solution for carrying a T4 on top my Gobi rack that’s more elegant than just throwing it us there. An Australian company makes a cradle that’s what I want but the won’t ship to USA. Anybody know of similar USA made product?

Attachments

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I’ve been looking for a solution for carrying a T4 on top my Gobi rack that’s more elegant than just throwing it us there. An Australian company makes a cradle that’s what I want but the won’t ship to USA. Anybody know of similar USA made product?
You can buy aluminum sheet stock and have a custom/industrial shop put the necessary bends in it. They also could have strap/hook cut-outs put in it also for tie-down points. Either paint the base sheet or purchase one already coated in black paint. The cradle does seem like a innovative idea, that over time would most likely mitigate wear or holes forming in the tent bag, Something more likely to happen on bumpy corrugated back roads over time due to the rack cross members. Good Luck:grin: on your search.

PS:
Those 2 photos are a good template for the shop to use, if you decide to go that way!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yup & yup,, a broken rib clued me in to how heavy our tent really is ( 70+ lbs) . I always figured getting it up on the roof rack was the same as getting a bale of hay up there and a small price to pay for the comforts of a large “stand up in” tent. I’m seven years older now and it has run it’s course and may be up for sale soon.
I hear ya. My Gazelle t3 I think is 37# but it feels like 75# to me now. I can pick it up but I cant get very far with it with a cane in one hand and a tent in the other. That's why I recently bought myself a 6x10 cargo trailer. Now I'll just roll up to a camp site, let down my ramp and enjoy all that I can for as long as I can. Everything I will need will be in that trailer. :-)

Reactions: MOAK and M Rose

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Thanks for that suggestion for the Helinox type chairs! Here in Florida we have a lot of sand soil and that is the one thing about the Helinox chairs I don't like, they sink easily into soft soil/sand. I'll definitely be picking up some tennis balls and modifying them and putting them in with my camping gear!

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Thanks for that suggestion for the Helinox type chairs! Here in Florida we have a lot of sand soil and that is the one thing about the Helinox chairs I don't like, they sink easily into soft soil/sand. I'll definitely be picking up some tennis balls and modifying them and putting them in with my camping gear!
you betcha! we have the same sandy-soil here in the South Jersey Pine Barrens

Reactions: Viking1204

pnwcruiser

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Swartz
Member #

Got our T8, set it up in the back yard for a trial run. It got below freezing and there was frost on the tent. In the morning, the tent had water inside, on the floor, on the cots, on the sleeping bags, etc. Anyone else experience this? I'm not sure what to say. Makes my worried to use it when we really need it.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Got our T8, set it up in the back yard for a trial run. It got below freezing and there was frost on the tent. In the morning, the tent had water inside, on the floor, on the cots, on the sleeping bags, etc. Anyone else experience this? I'm not sure what to say. Makes my worried to use it when we really need it.
Ohhhhh, that not good. I would sure get some input from Gazelle.

Reactions: pnwcruiser
That's a bummer
If the relative humidity was high, is it simply condensation buildup inside?
If it's leaking from the fly, maybe try some waterproofing spray on the fly and see how it goes?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This is condensation. Leave the windows open just a little bit to let the tent breath.

pnwcruiser

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Swartz
Member #

This is condensation. Leave the windows open just a little bit to let the tent breath.
Nobody was in the tent. It could have been the freezing fog we had. The amount of water inside was pretty excessive. 40+ years of camping here, never seen this happen. It's really rare we get freezing fog here.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Nobody was in the tent. It could have been the freezing fog we had. The amount of water inside was pretty excessive. 40+ years of camping here, never seen this happen. It's really rare we get freezing fog here.
The tent will still condensate without people in it... take a ziplock bag outside and set it on the ground sealed up, there will be frost inside the bag.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I like the tent but it's folded up size is really not practical for anyone without a full sized vehicle . Like an OZ tent.
Very true, our old oztent, the Jettent 25x (14x14x50 packed) is up in the barn and now we have a tepiu mounted on our trailer. The quick set up tents take up a horrendous amount of space. so much so that the addition space used up by an RTT is a great trade off. Is our Jettent for sale ? aaah, anything is for the right price.

Reactions: MiamiC70