Gazelle T3 vs. Kodiak Canvas 10x10 vs. ?

• HTML tutorial

ATL Bob

Rank 0

Contributor I

Atlanta
I'm in the market for a tent for me and 2 kids. I love the OZ tents but the length is a problem I have a pickup w/ a 64" bed and want a tent that can fit in the bed with the tail gate up (and not diagonal). So far it looks like the Gazelle T3 (or T4 plus) or a Kodiak Canvas tent. What's everyone experience/recommendation. I love the idea of the easy set up of the Gazelle, but the Kodiak looks like it would be more functional. Below are some needs:

- Great ventilation - I live and camp in the Southeast
- Want something that I can stand in to change. I'm 5'10" but don't mind crouching a little.
- Less than 64" when packed.
- Can be set up by 1 person
- Not planning cots (at least not for the kids), but also don't want to be stacked like cordwood when sleeping. 1 Adult, 2 kids, and sometimes 2 beagles.
- Not planning any extreme cold wx trips
- I'm not looking for a backpacking tent...I have that covered already.
- I prefer quality over price.

Looking forward to ideas suggestions...I open to other products if they can fit my needs

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I'm not sure. But I think I'd consider the T4 over the T3 if I were you. I'd prefer the T4 for just me, my dog (& sometimes my wife), but it's too long for the bed of my truck.

I'm currently wading through the 6,743,291 options to consider in ground tents.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

The Kodiak is quick once you get the stakes in. It may take a bit of practice for 1 person set up. I'm 6'4" and can stand in my 9x8. But consider the Kodiaks must be staked down to work. Sand and slick rock can be a problem.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I've got the kodiac truck bed tent but imagine their ground tents are similar. I have been liking their work. The canvas breathes and the sewing is solid.

The truck tent has had zero issues with 10-20 Mph coastal wind or a sudden spring time hail storm. I also adapted a 5x8 utility trailer for it.20190525_192756.jpeg

Reactions: Munga Brown

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hey there. I love our Kodiak canvas tent. We’ve had it all sorts of weather, and it’s never leaked, and stands strong in the wind. Unfortunately we’re outgrowing it as our 3 boys are getting bigger. If you’re interested, I’ll sell you mine with the vestibule and ground cloth for $680 shipped(it costs about $180 to ship it). We’ve used it about 10 times give or take, and haven’t ever had anything to complain about.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I need to mention something about ventilation and the Gazelle tents (I have the T4 Plus). There is "sufficient" ventilation but the screen size they use does not let a breeze in. Heat can escape from the roof if you aren't using the rain-fly, but then you're in the sun unless you've got shade overhead from tree canopy. We've enjoyed several warm clear nights, but a Georgian summer day will make that thing a sweat-box. You can get good flow-through by opening up the doors on both ends of the tent and don't need the screens closed.

That's my only major gripe with it. It seems to be quite well-made, has some other great features and is plenty large. It comes with my recommendation, but you need to know about the venting.