Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Gainesville, Alachua County, Florida, United States
First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

Hey Guys, probably a dumb question, but a regular plastic 5 gal Walmart gas can expand with the heat and could leak? What about the fumes? I'm planning to transport it on my bed covered with the tonneau cover closed. I want to have at least 20 gal extra fuel just in case.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Don't fill it. Press the sides before you screw the top on tight, give it room to expand without creating pressure.
But in North America, there are plenty of opportunities to gas up.

Reactions: AW Overland

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I wouldn’t haul any petro in a “Wal-Mart” type can. They are designed to sit on the garage floor. If they get really hot the pressure will crack/rip them open especially if subjected to lots of movement. I just wouldn’t do it. Why 20 gallons? My gas guzzler gets roughly 10mpg and with 15 extra gallons we have a 350 mile range.

Reactions: Old Tanker

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I use a single 5 gal Jerry can stored on my swing out. If I need more I have a few 5 gal VP race fuel jugs leftover from my drag racing days, strap them inside the bed, extremely heavy duty jugs. The VP's are cheaper than quality jerry cans.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Something it seems folks are forgetting is that it's not the liquid gasoline that expands, it's the vapors. A gas can that is filled will not expand and be subject to high pressures whereas a can that is only 1/4-1/3 full will turn into a balloon that's ready to pop when it heats up.

Wal-Mart sells DOT-approved gas cans, which also meet OSHA standards. The No-Spill cans are DOT approved, for example. DOT approval mainly based on the spout/nozzle used and not so much the can material. Hope this helps.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Something it seems folks are forgetting is that it's not the liquid gasoline that expands, it's the vapors. A gas can that is filled will not expand and be subject to high pressures whereas a can that is only 1/4-1/3 full will turn into a balloon that's ready to pop when it heats up.

Wal-Mart sells DOT-approved gas cans, which also meet OSHA standards. The No-Spill cans are DOT approved, for example. DOT approval mainly based on the spout/nozzle used and not so much the can material. Hope this helps.
Nope, didn't forget that at all, just thought it was common knowledge. I've had two kinds of cans rip open, or pop off while working in the Mohave Desert. Cheapo plastic gasoline cans, and traffic paint in 5 gallon steel buckets. . The gas can was in the flat bed utility truck, the cans of paint were in the shade, under a trailer. 3 of em went up. Just spend the money on a good can of somekind that was meant to "transport" gasoline. You are correct, all the regulations are more concerned with those horrible spouts that do not ever work correctly.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Nope, didn't forget that at all, just thought it was common knowledge. I've had two kinds of cans rip open, or pop off while working in the Mohave Desert. Cheapo plastic gasoline cans, and traffic paint in 5 gallon steel buckets. . The gas can was in the flat bed utility truck, the cans of paint were in the shade, under a trailer. 3 of em went up. Just spend the money on a good can of somekind that was meant to "transport" gasoline. You are correct, all the regulations are more concerned with those horrible spouts that do not ever work correctly.
We're mainly on the same page, but you seem to be confusing EPA and CARB approved cans with DOT-approved cans. The DOT cans are approved to transport gasoline. The No-Spill spouts work very well and aren't anything like the dumb EPA/CARB spouts that fail/break or result in gas spilling because they don't work right. You won't find DOT approval on the dumb EPA/CARB cans because they suck at preventing leaks/spills...which is ironic. A caveat with the No-Spill being DOT approved is that you do have to replace the No-Spill spout with their DOT cap and their 5 gallon can is the only one that carries DOT approval when used with this cap - 6160 DOT Approved Cap (For 5 Gallon Cans Only) - as initially I just saw the can was DOT approved but missed the detail about needing the DOT cap.

A metal jerry can is obviously going to be better for transporting and storage compared to a plastic can, I'm just tossing out some additional info for anyone thinking about getting a cheap plastic can to transport fuel and may not realize they're not DOT approved or at least aren't DOT approved off the shelf. EPA/CARB approval has nothing to do with transporting.

Diesel is also superior, but that's another subject. :D

Last edited:

AW Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

I wouldn’t haul any petro in a “Wal-Mart” type can. They are designed to sit on the garage floor. If they get really hot the pressure will crack/rip them open especially if subjected to lots of movement. I just wouldn’t do it. Why 20 gallons? My gas guzzler gets roughly 10mpg and with 15 extra gallons we have a 350 mile range.
Well, I get around 15/17 highway. I don't know how's going to be off-road. BTW I have a ram 1500 3.6L v6 pentastar.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Im loving my Rotopax Cans. Im running 2 4 gallon tanks. A lot of mounting options as well since they make a mount/bracket for everything.

Attachments

AW Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

Im loving my Rotopax Cans. Im running 2 4 gallon tanks. A lot of mounting options as well since they make a mount/bracket for everything.
Nice rig! I fab my bed rack with some 4040 extruded aluminum. I found a little expensive the bed racks and I prefer expend the money on the trip, will be a couple thousand miles all way down to Utah/Nevada/Death Valley, and I know, it's crazy go to DV in july.

Reactions: K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Nice rig! I fab my bed rack with some 4040 extruded aluminum. I found a little expensive the bed racks and I prefer expend the money on the trip, will be a couple thousand miles all way down to Utah/Nevada/Death Valley, and I know, it's crazy go to DV in july.
Death Valley in July is killer. I remember doing that as a kid on a family road trip visiting the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and visiting family. Make sure you bring plenty of water with you!

AW Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

Death Valley in July is killer. I remember doing that as a kid on a family road trip visiting the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and visiting family. Make sure you bring plenty of water with you!
I've been researching about it, and it's going to be hot, like melting hot! I will be checking the weather when I get around there and if is to hot I'll take another route. But this is my only window to visit DV, I'm in FL and is hard to get 2 weeks off.

Reactions: K12