GAS CAMP FIRES

• HTML tutorial

iamdrglass

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
Hello all,
This is my first post here. I have been reading a lot over the past few weeks lurking around. Being it is fire season here in East Idaho I am very concerned about my campfires when out and about. I love a good fire to sit around but I dont always want the hassle of finding or packing wood. Some of the areas that I plan on exploring for more than day trips are just to dry to even consider a fire until we get some rain and snow. I am considering a gas campfire as a alternative.

What are your opinions on them and how are the for cooking. I do think it would be convenient. Also how long do you get out of a 20lb bottle of propane.

Thanks
Dan

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

Hello all,
This is my first post here. I have been reading a lot over the past few weeks lurking around. Being it is fire season here in East Idaho I am very concerned about my campfires when out and about. I love a good fire to sit around but I dont always want the hassle of finding or packing wood. Some of the areas that I plan on exploring for more than day trips are just to dry to even consider a fire until we get some rain and snow. I am considering a gas campfire as a alternative.

What are your opinions on them and how are the for cooking. I do think it would be convenient. Also how long do you get out of a 20lb bottle of propane.

Thanks
Dan
I bought one this summer for trip to AZ and there was a fire restriction. The one I got was about $50 on Amazon. At full blast a 20lb will only last 3.5 hours. We got about 2-3 hours a day for a week running at 1/2 or lower. I wouldn't recommend cooking with it because the lava rocks would get messy. Stick to a propane stove.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In some of the areas here, you have to have your campfire off the ground. I was thinking of building one of the portable fire pits (to burn wood) then add in a propane burner and lava rocks for the heavy fire restriction areas where I cant have a wood fire.
The propane only ones Ive seen used, can burn through a big amount of fuel if you don't pay attention to your supply.
If you get one I would follow what @Megadoomer had said.

Scott

iamdrglass

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of a dual use fire pit. Basically real fire when it is safe and propane at this time of year when restrictions are high or you just dont want to deal with fire tending.