Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello everybody!

There are already a few Overlander users here, so I'll ask here :blush:

What is still unclear to me even after some research are the following two things:

Can I simply load free OSM maps into the Overlander device (as usual with older Garmins, like my mighty 278). Unfortunately the Overlander does not seem to be compatible with Basecamp, correct? And if so how does it work, are there size restrictions for the maps? Example, e.g. Garmin has no maps in store for Central Asia or Russia,. But there are OSM maps, which can be used in Basecamp (and totally simple for Orux , Locus anyway). How do I get them into the Overlander?

How does it look like with tracks, routes, waypoints - similar question, since the Overlander is not compatible with Basecamp, right? How do I get tracks, routes, waypoints created in Basecamp (or in google earth or other applications) into the Overlander device? I have read something that gpx, kml, kmz files have to be converted and imported using the Explore web version ??? How does it work and does it work reliably (are there any restrictions?)?

I do not have an Overlander yet. Still using my 278 and an Android tablet with orux. But, I would say I am more into Garmin and loing for a new tablet anyway as mine is quite old and slow now.

Thank you!

Safe travels, Bjoern

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

For Central Asia/ Russia, my advice is to work with maps.me, you can load in it gpx files and to my surprise it has many many tracks already in it, once I loaded the gpx files they became very often routable with turn by turn instructions. Maps me is an android/IOS app that works with OSM maps worldwide.. you just need to select the countries you need. The amount of details/POI is amazing..

For Russia there are a lot of TOPO maps done by the russian military in the 50's, extremly good.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Many thanks, Mihai! :blush:

My question was more explicitly regarding the Garmin Overlander as I am looking for a new device replacing the quite old Android tab anyway.

I am considering different solutions:
- new Android tablet: Oprions are clear to me; I use Oruxmaps as Android App and there are plenty of maps availlable for that area.
- new Win based tablet: also clear
- Garmin Overlander: that´s why I am asking :wink:

Thank you,
Bjoern

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

My understanting is that you can load any topo map via the base camp.
Also it is based on android so in case the default maps suck, you can use any other android map app, but you need to install that as an apk. file
I was also looking at a Garmin Ovelander, but maps for Europe/Asia suck.. they have almost nothing. They do have the street maps, but maybe 3 countries at topo level.

Reactions: El-Dracho