Garmin in reach mini

• HTML tutorial

iluvdrt

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Oceanside, Ca
Member #

So I use Gaia for almost everything, and I like it even though I have the lifetime legacy subscription. I also have a Garmin in reach mini that Ive been messing around with. My question is, is can you DL other peoples tracks through the earthmate app or on Garmin explore to upload into your phone or tablet and use the Garmin to navigate them kind of like you can do with Gaia? It seems a lot harder to create tracks, and stuff with the Garmin than with Gaia. I really only got the Garmin for the ability to have SOS and SAR as well as send messages when cellular signal isnt available, but if there are other features to this, Id like to know what they are. Thank you.

Reactions: Overlanding Lawyer

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
as long as it can be exported/imported as a .gpx file, but looking at the earthmate app on my phone it allows sharing of maps and waypoints/routes from earthmate to others, but no way to import through a .gpx file. only maps available are those earthmate lists in its layers.. I honestly use Gaia more as the layers available are better, and more complete... however a paper map is always a good backup, and you can mark blocked trails, or obstacles with a pencil.. I also use google maps offline mapping for easy point to point navigation on logging roads. it does not deal well with larger distances/multiple "possible" routes, but setting it up 10-15miles at a time works well.

my problem is finding a good spot to mount my inreach where it recieves a constant GPS signal.. kinda wish it had an external antenna port with a mag mount antenna I could put on the hood of my truck, or on the roof. currently mine is sitting in a 3tpam mount from expeditionessentials.com
1635513451591.png

Last edited:

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I also use a Gaia/Mini combo for my travels. The Mini is just used for communications and a backup track recording (I start it when I leave the house and turn if off when I get back home). All of my planning, routing, and active tracking (daily segments and such) are done on my tablet via Gaia. From my experience, you are using the two as best as can be done.

It would be awesome if a single company made a sat device that also had a great planning/mapping feature paired with it. The Garmin maps on a tablet via Earthmate are okay, but the route planning and user interface leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I have a Garmin InReach Mini mounted to a suction mount in the left lower corner of the windshield, it gets GPS reception there.

But I have to say, the device itself is rather underwhelming in the whole GPS reception area – it takes forever to actually acquire, has worse reception than an old iPhone, overall just not a good device. I have an old Spot 3 device, which just works so much better (quicker GPS acquisition, less button pressing to get something going, etc.). If it wasn't for the fact that Spot just sucks as a service, I'd happily switch back to it.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I have a Garmin InReach Mini mounted to a suction mount in the left lower corner of the windshield, it gets GPS reception there.

But I have to say, the device itself is rather underwhelming in the whole GPS reception area – it takes forever to actually acquire, has worse reception than an old iPhone, overall just not a good device. I have an old Spot 3 device, which just works so much better (quicker GPS acquisition, less button pressing to get something going, etc.). If it wasn't for the fact that Spot just sucks as a service, I'd happily switch back to it.
I almost switched to Spot as well, but had heard bad things about the service as well. The other thing that kept me with the InReach was the ability to pair it to my tablet for much easier use (signal based stuff is still slow though).

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Yeah, I went to the InReach because of the more features (two way comms) and the hopes of better GPS reception. The SPOT3 was actually a bit better at tracking reliably for me, it was definitely much faster in starting the tracking after having been off for a while. SPOT has changed their plans quite a bit so they aren't THAT far apart.

I think if I had to get a device again, I'd get the GPSMap 66 or Montana 700. The InReach Mini is just a bad device in my personal opinion. Usage is a PITA compared to a SPOT3.

But whatever, I use this:

To mount to the windshield (lower right corner) and a short RAM arm plus the RAM cradle for the InReach Mini. The cradle needed some trimming with a sharp knife to make it usable, but overall it's a workable solution.

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
Yeah, I went to the InReach because of the more features (two way comms) and the hopes of better GPS reception. The SPOT3 was actually a bit better at tracking reliably for me, it was definitely much faster in starting the tracking after having been off for a while. SPOT has changed their plans quite a bit so they aren't THAT far apart.

I think if I had to get a device again, I'd get the GPSMap 66 or Montana 700. The InReach Mini is just a bad device in my personal opinion. Usage is a PITA compared to a SPOT3.

But whatever, I use this:

To mount to the windshield (lower right corner) and a short RAM arm plus the RAM cradle for the InReach Mini. The cradle needed some trimming with a sharp knife to make it usable, but overall it's a workable solution.
I use the Montana 700. I also use a magnet based external gps antenna. It has gps when my phone and tablet do not.

I chose it for the inreach messaging capability. The gps functions with my tablet, and the standalone usage as a gps mapping device.

It is rather large and cumbersome to carry and use outside of the vehicle though.