garmin basecamp what car mounted gps type device can i use?

• HTML tutorial

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
i would like to mount a device such as a tablet, either android or ipad mini, or even my phone (iphone 7+) in my car . i have been using basecamp with my garmin 64st. i draw tracks where i want to go and then use my 64st but it only used 2 AA and the screeen won't stay on (maybe it will if i find the settings)

does anyone use garmin basecamp and then transfer to a dash mounted gps type screen?

or do i need to totally update my shee-ite?

any advice or tips?

like i said, i need a way to draw routes on soft ware at home and then input into the dash mounted device,

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
To use your phone, you need gia maps, from what I understandyou can put it on your pc and use it just like Basecamp. otherwise you need to get a differnt Garmin to use basecamp. ill post back in a few minutes where you can find what models of gps work with Basecamp

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

kivo

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Geel, Belgium
First Name
Kid
Last Name
Van Ouytsel
Member #

iand then use my 64st but it only used 2 AA and the screeen won't stay on (maybe it will if i find the settings)
Menu > settings > screen, to adjust your screen settings.
You can connect the device to a usb port. How long the batteries can pull it, will be depending on type used, and internal settings.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Take any track you create in Basecamp and export it to a KML or GPX file. Then import that into your preferred mobile app. Either smartphone or tablet. It is as easy as that.

iOS - Gaia GPS is the best hands down and others can chime in differently. Just each others opinion and there are MANY threads on the different apps. Motion X might even work for you. There are other choices but all are not as popular as Gais.

Android -
Gaia GPS, Backcountry Navigation, Orux Maps, on and on and on and on....

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I use basecamp and then transfer to my I dash android head unit. you could use any android tablet.

in the car I use backcountry navigator and maps.me on the android to tell e where I’m going. I put in a hard wired usb cable to run my Garmin handheld Oregon. I use the Garmin to record where I’ve been. It is nice because any time it is powered on it records a track. Turn it on in the morning and off when I hit camp. I have found that the android systems always need to be prompted to begin or restart track recording. This sucks and you will eventually forget to restart it and miss a chunk of your trip.

-Sandpoint Steve

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use Basecamp to draw up my routes then save them as a GPX file which nearly any map program out there can read. I have a Garmin GPS unit I no longer use sitting on my shelf that has lifetime maps and traffic. A Nuvi 1410 IIRC. Bought it years ago but no longer use it for anything else but keeping my basecamp maps up to date.