Rank VI

Influencer I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Roaming
Last Name
Lost
Member #

I really need a tablet to run Gaia GPS, I dont want a data plan so ill just pre-load.

But do I get a Galaxy Tab or iPad mini?

I have all Apple products so I have absolutely no education on Samsung tablets.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I have a Galaxy Tab A, 10" screen, that I run GAIA on. I also have a Samsung phone.

The biggest selling point was the option to load an SD card in the Samsung to store all the downloaded maps. With the iPad your limited to the amount of storage that comes with the iPad, which determines price.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Let me start by saying I gave up on android years ago and I’m sure it’s improved... In my experience Apple is easier to use and more stable. @v_man had a good point about the SD card, but honestly I’ve been surprised how little space Gaia maps have taken up in my O.G. iPad. When I switched to a complete Apple environment I was amazed at how easily everything connected to each other. Probably not an issue anymore given everything is cross platform apps now. If you’ve got Apple, I stay with Apple.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Let me start by saying I gave up on android years ago and I’m sure it’s improved... In my experience Apple is easier to use and more stable. @v_man had a good point about the SD card, but honestly I’ve been surprised how little space Gaia maps have taken up in my O.G. iPad. When I switched to a complete Apple environment I was amazed at how easily everything connected to each other. Probably not an issue anymore given everything is cross platform apps now. If you’ve got Apple, I stay with Apple.
+1 for Apple products, especially given your familiarity with them. Plus, the hardware is rock solid!

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Stick with apple. You will need to pay more. WiFi iPad don’t have GPS chip. So, you need a iPad with LTE. You don’t have to subscribe to data provider, but the GPS chip is need.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Stick with apple. You will need to pay more. WiFi iPad don’t have GPS chip. So, you need a iPad with LTE. You don’t have to subscribe to data provider, but the GPS chip is need.
Or a Bluetooth GPS receiver. I personally use a Dual XGPS150 with a WiFi only iPad.

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I really need a tablet to run Gaia GPS, I dont want a data plan so ill just pre-load.

But do I get a Galaxy Tab or iPad mini?

I have all Apple products so I have absolutely no education on Samsung tablets.
I bought a 2din Android car stereo. All the best of both car stereo and tablet combined. It also takes a MICROSD card for extra memory

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Another navigation software I use made the decision for me. Foreflight was only available on the iPad but it's pretty nice to have a single tablet to navigate and chart courses regardless of method of travel. Gaia runs great on it as well of course.

Reactions: m_lars

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Another navigation software I use made the decision for me. Foreflight was only available on the iPad but it's pretty nice to have a single tablet to navigate and chart courses regardless of method of travel. Gaia runs great on it as well of course.
This made me think of another point I noticed when I switched from android to iOS.

Again I will preface this may have changed in the past several years since I switched...

I noticed the quality of apps was better in iOS. The first one I noticed was the eBay app, it was more stable and refined than the android version. There are certainly more android apps available because it’s so much easier to get them into Google Play as opposed to the App Store. Apple also restricts peripherals that can be used to help maintain a quality experience. I know android users find that a plus, as well as the ability to mod pretty much everything OS/software related.

The way I have come to see it; android/PC is for people who want to tinker and tweak, Apple is for those who don’t want to mess with it and just want it work right.

Last edited: