Gaia on Smartphone or wifi iPad with inReach mini?

• HTML tutorial

F8OO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
F
Member #

I'm heading into unknown, off grid parts of western Canada in about 6 weeks. I currently run Gaia on a older Android phone, without a SIM card. And then I will use my iPhone for regular navigation like google maps. The system seems to be working pretty decently but I have not gone truly off grid.

Anybody with experience, could you please chime in.

Option 1 is to stick with my current set up and keep my fingers crossed that it will be reliable in the field. (my iPhone also has Gaia so if phone #1 dies, I have a backup)

Option 2 is to buy a Garmin inReach Mini to pair with my old wifi iPad that I don't currently use. (This will double as a safety item - being able to contact family off grid)

My question is mostly regarding reliability with the GPS signal. Will the old (2016) android phone have a reliable GPS single so I can track myself on Gaia? Sorry I don't really know if there is a difference between that and the Garmin as far as signal goes.

Thanks for any input!

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I use my iPhone 8+ and Samsung Galaxy Tab E (WiFi model) with GAIA and I found that the Samsung GPS works great, BUT the Android GAIA software doesn’t work well compared to iOS. Now I only use my iPhone with GAIA. Looking to buy the new iPad (WiFi model) and using a Bluetooth GPS puck.

Attachments

Reactions: k9sar and F8OO

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
The key will be to download all the tiles for your route before you go and you won’t have any problems. This can take some serious memory/number of tiles and you may have to do a few separate downloads.

I had great luck with my iPad Pro cellular(no cell service) and GAIA, I also used CALTOPO as a back up. I did have an InReach Mini on the trip for comms, the mapping is pretty basic compared to the other two.

I’m a believer in the InReach for it’s SOS capabilities so I would advise you to pick one up or rent one for the safety aspect.

Reactions: F8OO

F8OO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
F
Member #

The key will be to download all the tiles for your route before you go and you won’t have any problems. This can take some serious memory/number of tiles and you may have to do a few separate downloads.

I had great luck with my iPad Pro cellular(no cell service) and GAIA, I also used CALTOPO as a back up. I did have an InReach Mini on the trip for comms, the mapping is pretty basic compared to the other two.

I’m a believer in the InReach for it’s SOS capabilities so I would advise you to pick one up or rent one for the safety aspect.

Hey, thank you.

I am buying an inReach Mini.

Not sure if you know the answer to this, but for those times when I don't want to subscribe to the monthly Garmin plan, will the inReach GPS single still show information?

I'm hoping to fully use the inReach mini with the wifi only ipad, with and without a Garmin plan.

Thanks

Reactions: Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
You’ll be happy you got it. I’ve kept mine active the whole time so I can’t speak to the gps portion but I would think it would as it doesn’t require service for access to the gps or the mapping on the app.

Reactions: F8OO

Anhizer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
S
Member #

Hey, thank you.

I am buying an inReach Mini.

Not sure if you know the answer to this, but for those times when I don't want to subscribe to the monthly Garmin plan, will the inReach GPS single still show information?

I'm hoping to fully use the inReach mini with the wifi only ipad, with and without a Garmin plan.

Thanks
Did you ever get an answer to this? I am planning on the same setup as you. I have an existing ipad mini 4 w/o GPS and want to use the inReach as the GPS receiver for the ipad to nagivate using gaia. For times when im only going to local trails that have cell coverage i wont be paying for the subscription so i want to see if i need to get a stand alone GPS receiver.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

As long as you're above ground, your GPS should work. Just make sure you download your map areas.. Gaia also now offers carplay compatability, so if you have a headunit that allows this, or a newer vehicle, it is so nice. It really clears up clutter in the cab, and puts to use your head unit in a way that is beneficial.

Wildcard

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

West Grove, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Lindsay
Member #

It will still work as a GPS and you can track on the maps... You won't be able to use SOS, Text, Email, or weather updates without the subscription.

Reactions: Anhizer

rhxsec

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oakville
First Name
Amin
Last Name
Lalji
I decided to get the Garmin InReach Explorer+. It is similar in functionality to the mini, but comes with a screen. I found keeping Bluetooth on drained my phone battery quickly, so do your research on that as well. I was glad to have maps available on the device just in case. I use an android and was able to use the Garmin as a GPS receiver in Gaia. With the Freedom plans, you pay month to month and can turn off service when you don't need it. Since we were headed off-grid, I kept the active tracking on and every 10 minutes, the device would send our location to the cloud, allowing our family to track and communicate with us via text messages. When you deactivate your plan, you lose weather and text messaging - GPS still works. It worked great and the SOS option is great peace of mind (think about getting the $79 annual insurance - gives you up to $100,000 USD in response coverage if you end up using SOS and need a heli evac etc.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Anhizer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
S
Member #

Thanks for the replies everyone! looks like this will do what i want it to. For the battery life i understand that its going to be impacted by bluetooth, however i plan on keeping it plugged in (most of the time) while in use so I'm not too concerned about that.

Reactions: rhxsec

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
As long as you're above ground, your GPS should work. Just make sure you download your map areas.. Gaia also now offers carplay compatability, so if you have a headunit that allows this, or a newer vehicle, it is so nice. It really clears up clutter in the cab, and puts to use your head unit in a way that is beneficial.
You lose street cred then. Ha ha.

Whoosh

Rank 0

Traveler I

Netherlands
First Name
Ruud
Last Name
Vollebregt
Thanks for the replies everyone! looks like this will do what i want it to. For the battery life i understand that its going to be impacted by bluetooth, however i plan on keeping it plugged in (most of the time) while in use so I'm not too concerned about that.
If this is still relevant to you:
I've been using Gaia GPS on an iPhone 6s for several years and for last season on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (mini tablet) with a 128 GB fast memory card. The Tab has no inbuilt phone capability, but on and off I use my iPhone to tether a data-over-phone connection to the Tab. I have been using both devices in and out of phone coverage areas.
Positioning findings:
1. the iPhone/iOS user experience is slightly better than the Android version, but not significantly so.
2. with or without internet connection (i.e. wifi-derived or cell tower-derived positioning info) both devices provide excellent GPS positioning, and both are quick to get a satellite fix. As far as my experience goes, there is no real gain here to add the Garmin InReach into the mix.
Findings in other areas:
3. the Tab (with a form factor in between iPhone and tablet) is far better in delivering information to the already concentrated driver. Also, it is easier to zoom in and out during driving.
4. the Tab is far better for positioning in the cabin between pilot and co-pilot.

5. when using offline maps, be carefull to choose vector format maps. I use Gaia Streets and Gaia Topo (meters) layered, switching to see more topo in the field and to more street info when getting to villages and towns. This way, you get maximum information for minimum storage (and download time).
To give you ageneral idea: with the Benelux countries, most of Germany, Switzerland, Ostria, half of Hungary, the whole of Italy including Sicily, and all of the Balkan countries downloaded, the memory usage is about 7,5 GB.
6. the Androi device will allow you to plug in a memory card which gives you virtually unlimited off-line capabilities. Note that Gaia lets you download a limited amount of tiles per offline map, but an unlimited amount of maps. It even (internally) avoids downloading overlapping map tiles twice.

All in all, I would recommend using an Android mini tablet with a fast mamory card or, if money is less of a concern to you, an iPad Mini loaded with (non-extendable) memory.
Purely for positioning reasons you will not be needing an aditional InReach.
Mind you: you still might want that additional device, but for other functional reasons.

PS If you would want to use PolarSteps on the same device, be sure to check difference in features between iOS and Android: Android will give you a more accurate positioning fix on your travel log (using more power, but that is largely irrelevant to overlanders).

oliklink

Rank 0

Contributor I

Los Gatos, CA, USA
First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Klink
Good morning ... Could you let me know if the following system is going to work to navigate and access maps with the Gaia GPS (Premium membership)

Devices:
- iPad 3 (WIFI only) - IOS 9.3.5 (can't update to more recent IOS) - (64GB of memory - 30GB available)
- iPhone 11 Pro Max - IOS 14.4.2 - (256GB of memory - 150GB available)
- Considering the Garmin inReach Explorer+
- Macbook Pro (IOS 10.14.6 - Mojave)

I would like to use my MacBook Pro to plan a trip. Then download the maps to the iPad for navigation.
When in cell service, I would use my iPhone 11 Pro Max Hotspot to connect my iPad3.
When off cell service, I would like to use the Garmin InReach Explorer+.

Can Gaia GPS run on the iPad3 (not the latest IOS)?
Are there any compatibility issues with Gaia GPS on iPad3 and the Garmin InReach?
As an alternative, are there any compatibility issues with Gaia GPS on iPhone 11Max and the Garmin InReach?

And if there are compatibility issues with the Garmin, which satellite device would you recommend?

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Good morning ... Could you let me know if the following system is going to work to navigate and access maps with the Gaia GPS (Premium membership)

Devices:
- iPad 3 (WIFI only) - IOS 9.3.5 (can't update to more recent IOS) - (64GB of memory - 30GB available)
the iPad 3 won't work. Just checked iOS store. Needs at least ios version 12. I ran into the same issue with my iPad2 a year ago. Can't update to the most recent iOS version and more and more apps are requiring newer iOS.

Reactions: 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

Devices:
- Considering the Garmin inReach Explorer+
- Macbook Pro (IOS 10.14.6 - Mojave)

I would like to use my MacBook Pro to plan a trip. Then download the maps to the iPad for navigation.
When in cell service, I would use my iPhone 11 Pro Max Hotspot to connect my iPad3.
When off cell service, I would like to use the Garmin InReach Explorer+.

Can Gaia GPS run on the iPad3 (not the latest IOS)?
Are there any compatibility issues with Gaia GPS on iPad3 and the Garmin InReach?
As an alternative, are there any compatibility issues with Gaia GPS on iPhone 11Max and the Garmin InReach?

And if there are compatibility issues with the Garmin, which satellite device would you recommend?
No issues with the Garmin as a GPS "puck". As mentioned iPad 3 OS is too old. Best place to look for compatibility is in the app store. Developers are required to list that info.

$429 for a 10.2" iPad with 128GB (Room for lots of maps) that will probably last you 5-7 years until they again won't allow you to update the OS. iPad 3 was released 9 years ago for reference. I love my iPad Pro 11" but understand many won't want to spend the money for that. It is also not required for Gaia.

oliklink

Rank 0

Contributor I

Los Gatos, CA, USA
First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Klink
After further research, I have come up with the following set up:
- Garmin InReach Explorer + (for SOS and as a backup map to Gaia GPS) - (Did research other like Zoleo, but Garmin was the safer bet. I wish there was a sat device that will interface with the Gaia GPS maps!)
- iPad 6th gen or later (A10 chip - Rumor has that the A9 chip will not work with the upcoming IOS)
- GPS receiver blue tooth (Dual XGPS160 ) - I am still debating of the value of this vs. the iPad with WIFI/Cell. Does someone have experience?
- RAM mount system to keep everything tie in the truck

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
After further research, I have come up with the following set up:
- Garmin InReach Explorer + (for SOS and as a backup map to Gaia GPS) - (Did research other like Zoleo, but Garmin was the safer bet. I wish there was a sat device that will interface with the Gaia GPS maps!)
- iPad 6th gen or later (A10 chip - Rumor has that the A9 chip will not work with the upcoming IOS)
- GPS receiver blue tooth (Dual XGPS160 ) - I am still debating of the value of this vs. the iPad with WIFI/Cell. Does someone have experience?
- RAM mount system to keep everything tie in the truck
My iPad Pro has Cell. The GPS has been very reliable. (See other nonsense below)

You can always pair the InReach with your iPad and use that for messaging via the iPad vs phone. Then you would not need the extra Bluetooth puck. I know it is expensive to add the "cell" version of the iPad lines in order to get GPS but it is very convenient. One less thing to worry about. My vote is go iPad with Cell. I have had just about every version of the iPad. My latest is the first with the GPS chip. No regrets. You can sit by the campfire and use Gaia, etc without the need to pair to anything.

I use Tackform mounts because I simply believe they work better than the RAM Xgrips. I have owned both.

The Xgrips interfere with both the iPhone and iPad buttons. With the Tackform mount there are no issues with my case or leaving my iPad pencil in the case.

Other Nonsense:
I have a data card in my iPad but that is not required. I use Google FI for a variety of reasons (OFF TOPIC) including that in the US it typically uses T-Mobile whereas my phone is Verizon. Some places I get better coverage with Verizon and others with Google FI (T-mobile) it is nice to have a back up. Anyway, I use the InReach mini with my phone as the interface for messaging. I also use Google FI with my phone. Verizon is eSim and Google FI is a traditional sim card.

Reactions: GreenRemy