Gaia on Iphone with external GPS

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

In the simplest terms, navigation is difficult. Creating your own route, putting it on a device, updating it on the trail...all difficult.

Then again, maybe it's just my method or tools. I use multiple sources to compile info for routes, I visualize it several different ways, I navigate with 3 different apps, and I draw the maps up with the clunky Google MyMaps because that's the best way I've found to create a route I can store, share, and easily export to the various apps and devices.

Albert Jr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yes I can see the complexity of it. So planning ahead and getting familiar with the gps and maps is a must. How are you liking that exhaust, the so called “snorkel”?

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

It's actually an intake. It allows cooler, cleaner air into the filter and engine, and also serves to keep the intake well away from standing water. For me, it's not because I like going in mud or deep water on the trail, but because the nature of where I live and work.

I understand how often it's a "snor-cool" and how many people have one they'll never use. It's funny! As for me, I have lived and worked in this area my entire life. I have analyzed the risks and built my rig accordingly, just in case.

(Not my videos)

Imagine just trying to get home from work in something like this. Imagine having an injured family member you couldn't get the hospital because of flooding. Imagine water like this destroying a $2,000+ engine vs protecting it with a $150 snorkel.

Albert Jr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yeah I see what you mean. I’m definitely going to build mine for needs and not wants, although all those rigs out there are so tempting. But we all have budgets and I just need a vehicle that will handle what I need it for. I like how prepared you are, I just finished building two first aid kits for the wife’s car and mine, I had some extra hinges from when I was in the army, so I had to put them to use.

It’s insane how much property was caused in those floods, and only the vehicles with high clearance made it.
Is that a forerunner roof rack I see on your FJ?

Last edited:

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I grew up in the middle of nowhere, I've always wrenched on my own stuff, and I've worked and played outdoors my entire life. Much of what I use has been collected over 20 years or so. It takes time to dial in your kit, that's for sure.

I'm still running the OEM FJ rack, just with a lot of stuff bolted on. The flat rack I like runs about $1,200, but isn't $1,200 better than what I already have.

Last edited:

Albert Jr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yeah I’m going to go with a Yakima one for the rav4 for the wife. Or save it for my vehicle. The more and more I drive her car, I see that it honestly could work for just going out there, camping, and traveling. I’d love a taco or 4Runner, I just don’t love the expensive car payments. So I’m thinking an awd rav4 xle. Roof rack and some comms and I’m good to go for the moment. For the meantime, I gotta live through the wife’s vehicle haha.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

Im new to this...is there a way to look up routes people have already done? Just want to get some ideas for some trips
Absolutely! Google Gaia or Cartotracks or Hema. I’ve never built a route ahead of time, I have downloaded routes and followed them as well as tracked myself to build the route. I have no reason to build a route ahead of time. I’ll never be the first white man anywhere I ever go, although it’s fun to pretend sometimes.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Im new to this...is there a way to look up routes people have already done? Just want to get some ideas for some trips
Search whatever .gpx and you can usually find stuff. There is a site called gpsxchange that has lots of tracks but you have to upload at least one so you can download others. Also check trailsoffroad.com

Wherever you go, there you are. Sent from my phone.

k_dipietro

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Kris
Last Name
D
Member #

I've been using Gaia GPS on my iPhone 7 for a few months now, and I'm loving it so far. I think the best part is the ability to do all my prep work on my computer at home, and have it seamlessly upload to the cloud and down to my phone for when I need it. Planning routes, and uploading gps files is easy work. I've used it to track off road trails, and hikes alike it's all worked fine. I haven't been out of cell range yet so I can't speak to how well it works on GPS alone, but regardless I'm loving its versatility so far! What's neat too is other users are able to make their tracks public for others using the app to see, so you may just be able to find routes based off of that. In Canada there doesn't seem to be a lot of public routes, but I imagine it's more widely used in the US.

On a side note I'm using the Vector Off Road JKE dock, and a Ram Mount X-Grip for the iPhone, and Go Pro and they work seamlessly together!

Yeah I totally agree with you. I plan on getting on external gps with some sort of SOS capabilities. But right now the money is tight, and I have to do with what I have. But I am constantly looking for ways to improve
I understand completely.

I use a Garmin Glo which does not require a subscription. I also purchased the mount for it so I could attach it to my Vector Bar. What is nice about the Garmin Glo other than no subscription is that it is bluetooth, connects easily to your phone or iPad, and has a usb charging cable and internal battery. It does need to be mounted in the window so it has the best reception. Ive used this over 1,000 miles already and it works great!