Gaia maps for Samsung tablet

• HTML tutorial

Steven Apolinar

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Antonio
Member #

Just picked up a tab a from Samsung and going to be using it for my upcoming trips. Does anyone have experience with this app or is there a better one out there? Thanks

SteveK

Rank II
Investor

Contributor III

Glendale, CA
Member #

Steven, I have used Gaia on a Samsung Tab for the last three trips. So far, I'm impressed with how well it works. The map overlays have been a huge help in finding trails, mines, etc. Give it a try. You'll be pleased.

Steven Apolinar

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Antonio
Member #

Hey thanks for the reply. I might just try it out. Going to be using it for a trip to big bend national park and big bend ranch state park..

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Haven't tried Gaia but on my tablet I've use backcountry navigator lots of different map overlays , end up using forest service maps alot for their detail

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

I guess Im one of the few who was not satisfied with the Gaia / tablet combo. I purchased on 2/20 and cancelled today. I wont say negative stuff on a forum but if you have specific questions I will be glad to answer via messenger etc. Hope you have better luck.

Reactions: Steven Apolinar

Cummins_Powered

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I guess Im one of the few who was not satisfied with the Gaia / tablet combo. I purchased on 2/20 and cancelled today. I wont say negative stuff on a forum but if you have specific questions I will be glad to answer via messenger etc. Hope you have better luck.

Post the negatives, I think everyone here is capable of reading reviews and deciding for themselves if the dealbreakers for you are dealbreakers for them. I think it really comes down to what you expect from this combination and how you intend to use it. In any case, I personally would certainly like to hear your complaints.

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

Post the negatives, I think everyone here is capable of reading reviews and deciding for themselves if the dealbreakers for you are dealbreakers for them. I think it really comes down to what you expect from this combination and how you intend to use it. In any case, I personally would certainly like to hear your complaints.

OK, no problem. If the mods have an issue with negative comments please edit or trash my reply. Some of the other forums I visit have rules about stuff like that. These are my observations after approximately ten days usage.

1) There is no "red box" shown on android devices to indicate previously downloaded maps. I looked for a few hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong before I contacted them and they said apple only gets this feature. They recommended that I use google earth and place pins where I've already downloaded. Even though this sucks, I tried it. Turns out, you cant place pins on google earth with a tablet. Also, doing it like this would be almost impossible/very difficult without two devices to work from.

2) No ability to download maps on the desktop version. They should make this point VERY clear up front. Maybe they do and i missed it....

3) Download speed is absurd. After hours and hours still only a tiny percentage of one map is downloaded. I checked the web and their support, and download speed is a known issue. It makes this unusable for my application.

4) When you do finally get a map downloaded and try to view on the main map, the borders of the downloaded area disappear. Leaving you again guessing where you have downloaded.

Im not normally a picky person. Im the kind of guy who will eat cold food at a restaurant instead of complaining but this app/software is not so great, in my opinion.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

OK, no problem. If the mods have an issue with negative comments please edit or trash my reply. Some of the other forums I visit have rules about stuff like that. These are my observations after approximately ten days usage.

1) There is no "red box" shown on android devices to indicate previously downloaded maps. I looked for a few hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong before I contacted them and they said apple only gets this feature. They recommended that I use google earth and place pins where I've already downloaded. Even though this sucks, I tried it. Turns out, you cant place pins on google earth with a tablet. Also, doing it like this would be almost impossible/very difficult without two devices to work from.

2) No ability to download maps on the desktop version. They should make this point VERY clear up front. Maybe they do and i missed it....

3) Download speed is absurd. After hours and hours still only a tiny percentage of one map is downloaded. I checked the web and their support, and download speed is a known issue. It makes this unusable for my application.

4) When you do finally get a map downloaded and try to view on the main map, the borders of the downloaded area disappear. Leaving you again guessing where you have downloaded.

Im not normally a picky person. Im the kind of guy who will eat cold food at a restaurant instead of complaining but this app/software is not so great, in my opinion.
That's helpful info, man, and not negative in the sense I bet other forums might mean. Honest observations in a review about how it works or not in your application help others decide whether or not it might work for their situation.

Hope you find something that works well for you, and if you do, hope you report back here and let us all know.

Next time I come through Cincinnati, your next Skyline or Gold Star meal is on me!

Road

Reactions: GEARS

RoboCop

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Katy, TX
Member #

Gaia is simply amazing, but amazingly quirky. I've had many issues while planning trips on Gaia's website. I originally bought in November '17 and just cancelled my automatic renewal, meaning I can still use it until Nov '18. The reason I didn't completely stop using Gaia is because of the tremendous amount of people that swear by it and their extraordinary customer service. They immediately responded to a poor review I left online, offering a refund, asking about my issues, and then asking if I would help them troubleshoot the issues. I believe that come November, I will be renewing after all.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have not been really satisfied with Gaia myself but I think it's the best option for android. MotionX is my absolute favorite but its iPhone/Pad only. Download speed definitely depends on the detail of tile you are downloading. 14 I think is the fastest/most detailed ratio that works for me. 15 gets slow and anything over that is painful and not really useful for my purposes anyway.
I'm definitely in the "not so satisfied" camp though. But they are fairly new, started with the intent of hikers using the app and expanding into territory they aren't experienced in. And they are very receptive to my criticizes when I contact them. Time will tell...

Reactions: Road and RoboCop