Gaia GPS 1 YEAR Membership Give away.

• HTML tutorial

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I’m giving away one free Gaia GPS Membership (good for one year) for free to one of our members. All you have to do is respond to this post letting others know what your idea of Overlanding means to you, along with how your planning on using this Membership. I will pick a winner in a few weeks and notify via DM.

Best of Luck
please DM me with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

My idea of overlanding is getting outside, off the beaten path and exploring what's left. Getting away from the hustle and bustle of the city, decompressing, and relaxing. Taking the time to spend with my wife and visit parts of this country we haven't seen before. I'd use this membership to help plan, and navigate on our off road routes, as well tracking where we've been, and what campsites we've found.

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

Overlanding to me is much more about the exploring or the adventuring but the community. From Jeeps to Toyotas, Land Rovers to Subarus, it never matters what you drive because the community is something that brings us all together. I couple this with the fact that I work in NYC and live in a fairly densely populated area, and overlanding becomes the opportunity to express some freedom on the weekends. The area I am in is extremely rich with places to see, historic parks to visit, and trails to map out, and overlanding is something that gives me the opportunity to see/do such things with a very close community and group of friends.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Overlanding to me and my wife is a spiritual necessity. WHen I am away from the city, my body relaxes, my mind de-stresses, my spirit soars! When we look around at the endless beauty all around us, you almost feel as if your walking on cotton, weird I know, but i feel it every trip. And along the way you meet interesting people and almost always strike up a conversation about overlanding (they call it camping or hiking) and the various places that are "must see". Also I am amazed at the number of people in need on my trips, seems more ladies have flats on the highway than ever before.....Of course we are only on the pavement for as short a time as possible......

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have been an obsessive explorer/photographer in what little spare time I have had for the last 45+ years. My wife and I have covered the Rocky Mountains from Mexico to Canada. I can say that there are few roads in Colorado that I have not been on. I have probably 400 lbs of maps gathered over the years. Being an engineer, I have come to appreciate the advances GPS and mapping have made. I still wallpaper my office with beautiful topo mats, but rarely use one except for emergency backup while out in the back country. The new maps and applications have allowed me to find a whole new set of trails that I would have never found on paper maps, and explore them with confidence, even though at my age, quite a bit slower.

Last edited:

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

Overland Journal calls overlanding "Vehicle Based Travel". I think it is that, but it is also much more. It is the cars, the kit, the places, the people, and the adventure. Whether I have my Jeep near on its side or I am hghwaying from Vancouver to Calgary as long as I can see something I have never seen before, or try something different, or get a little out of my comfort zone it can be turned into an adventure and if a vehicle is involved for me, it is "Overlanding".

Obviously, Gaia on an iPhone or iPad or phone or tablet of your choice can help you find out where you are, see the terrain around you, and help you to find your way. My real love for Gaia is on my computer, at work..... don't tell my boss. Like now, its 2 pm on a Friday afternoon. There are very few things I love more than staring at maps and daydreaming about the next big trip or the next weekend run or a couple of hours of adventure. It's been a long week, I have a couple of hours to go before the weekend and I love browsing maps, plotting routes and waypoints, and daydreaming about the next big (or small) adventure.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I was just about to buy a copy when my tablet took a dive. Now I need to buy a new tablet, or covert one of my old laptops.

MikeBen

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oceanside
Member #

Overlanding is exploring. Exploring this earth by land and exploring ourselves. It is a way visiting the places that created a culture or civilization. Following the footsteps of those before us while being humbled that they completed these journeys with much less than we have on our technologically advanced vehicles.

How would I use it? I would use it as another form of navigation. Use it to do what I already do now. I'd continue exploring and sharing those experiences with my children to humble them on how far we have come.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Jopina7807

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Clackamas, Clackamas County, Oregon, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
O
Member #

Overlanding: the quest for life’s wonders in something new or familiar, on the road, or off of it.

I’d definitely use this membership to get out to farther places, where paths have yet to made, to see and explore things I, and my family, haven’t seen yet, and if we have, see it in a new way.

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

For me it is just getting out and to places that you can't generally just drive to on pavement. Getting my family and myself out a little ways from people and the hustle bustle of town. We live in the country but deal with the city every day. I want to get even further out there to enjoy it while ensuring we are able to make it home for work/school Monday.

on_the_run

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Reno, NV
Member #

Overlanding = No boundaries...
Overlanding means different things to different folks. Most of us don't have the means to get out and drive off-road across the country at their own pace and expense, though we certainly wish we could. Overlanding can be s short day trip or week long adventure; but one thing remains certain: Get out and explore. Go somewhere you've never been and take advantage of the experience. Drop the electronics and connect. Connect with your environment, connect with your family and learn something new about yourself and your fellow "overlanders"...then share what you've learned with other like-minded folks without conditions!

Getsome93

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Spokane, Washington
Member #

I’m giving away one free Gaia GPS Membership (good for one year) for free to one of our members. All you have to do is respond to this post letting others know what your idea of Overlanding means to you, along with how your planning on using this Membership. I will pick a winner in a few weeks and notify via DM.

Best of Luck

Overlanding is exactly what you taught me today... Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge of how to set-up.. Learned a lot in a short period of time. I’m sure our paths will cross again. At least I hope they do.. thank you..!!

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Best of Luck

Great gift .....sorry I missed it but glad to find the thread and get to read everyone's comments...great group of people here. You're all why I'm here...thank you.

JeepsterPete

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Dubois
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3HWK

Best of Luck

Overlanding to me is freedom. Freedom to go wherever you want knowing that at a moment’s notice tou can find a gorgeous area to stop for the night. Means being autonomous, using nature as tour host while leaving little if no footprint of where you stayed. It also means a defiance to the lodging industry by being able to sleep in, on or out of your rig. Means getting closer to nature by letting it welcome you to it’s different areas. Gaia GPS membership would mean being able to navigate safely, recording the trails and venues visited during journeys in the wilderness.

Pierre Dubois